Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dialler hijacking prevention

Dialler hijacking prevention

Andy Lawson

Anyone know a good program to prevent dialler hijacking or other assorted
stealth dialling?.

The reason I ask, is a family friend unexpectedly found four high cost calls
to Luxemburg on her phone bill. Turns out her teenage grandson got sucked
into installing something he shouldn't have whilst doing chat on msn. I
discovered a Strip Player had been installed on her system and it had
stopped the modem making any sound during dialling. So something to sit in
the background and prevent unintended dialling would be great or
alternatively, something to allow only one number to be dialled i.e the ISP.

Invisible

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 18:21:08 +1200, "Andy Lawson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone know a good program to prevent dialler hijacking or other assorted
>stealth dialling?.
>
>The reason I ask, is a family friend unexpectedly found four high cost calls
>to Luxemburg on her phone bill. Turns out her teenage grandson got sucked
>into installing something he shouldn't have whilst doing chat on msn. I
>discovered a Strip Player had been installed on her system and it had
>stopped the modem making any sound during dialling. So something to sit in
>the background and prevent unintended dialling would be great or
>alternatively, something to allow only one number to be dialled i.e the ISP.

Try this, it has some dialers listed:

GraB

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone know a good program to prevent dialler hijacking or other assorted
>stealth dialling?.
>
>The reason I ask, is a family friend unexpectedly found four high cost calls
>to Luxemburg on her phone bill. Turns out her teenage grandson got sucked
>into installing something he shouldn't have whilst doing chat on msn.

I think it is called a clip round the ear.

KS

Andy Lawson wrote:
> Turns out her teenage
> grandson got sucked into installing something he shouldn't have
> whilst doing chat on msn

Looks like grandson will be doing many many chores around the house for many
months to come !

Good luck.

Gavin Tunney

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Anyone know a good program to prevent dialler hijacking or other assorted
>stealth dialling?.
>
>The reason I ask, is a family friend unexpectedly found four high cost calls
>to Luxemburg on her phone bill. Turns out her teenage grandson got sucked
>into installing something he shouldn't have whilst doing chat on msn. I
>discovered a Strip Player had been installed on her system and it had
>stopped the modem making any sound during dialling. So something to sit in
>the background and prevent unintended dialling would be great or
>alternatively, something to allow only one number to be dialled i.e the ISP.

The best way to avoid diallers is to disable auto-dial, and make the
user manually connect to the internet by clicking on a shortcut to
their dial-up connection. Diallers just add a new connection & make it
the default so when auto-dial kicks in the dialler connection fires up
rather than the usual one. Connect manually & the user will always
use their proper connection, I've a mate who often gets diallers but
they don't ever run because I set him up to connect manually.

Connecting manually is a better practice anyway, makes users a bit
more aware of what their computer is doing.

Gavin

Peter Huebner

In article <cLf5b.884$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Anyone know a good program to prevent dialler hijacking or other assorted
> stealth dialling?.
>
> The reason I ask, is a family friend unexpectedly found four high cost calls
> to Luxemburg on her phone bill. Turns out her teenage grandson got sucked
> into installing something he shouldn't have whilst doing chat on msn. I
> discovered a Strip Player had been installed on her system and it had
> stopped the modem making any sound during dialling. So something to sit in
> the background and prevent unintended dialling would be great or
> alternatively, something to allow only one number to be dialled i.e the ISP.

For starters, as others have suggested, some ground rules might be in
order for the use of said computer.

I would dump irc. It's notorious for hack attempts, trojans etc. and why
the heck anyway - is it that great to be part of the luser community?
<sigh> I suppose the kid WANT'S TO.

I would suggest installing Mozilla or Opera as default browser, and
proxy-ing them through the Proxomitron. That will kill all manners of
malicious scripts and prevent IE cum MSUpdate being highjacked by
malicious scripts by keeping IE out of the picture entirely. (disabling
MSUpdate on XP is a good idea: I had a machine with vanilla XP on it, not
yet protected since just installed, hacked with a dialler on the first
connection attempt via Update - dunno how they did it but they did.
Fortunately I was watching, immediately killed the 'update' process and
then went and tracked down the install files they had already uploaded to
my harddrive. I was connecting to IHug's main page when that happened,
not some potentially dodgy site).
Furthermore get Eudora or Pegasus set up as email client and Agent or
Gravity for newsgroups. Delete Outlook(Express) as it's another way of
going out there with a 'kick me' sign on the back.

Furthermore I would recommend installing a decent firewall like Sygate
Personal Firewall. (I for one do NOT recommend Zone Alarm - had too much
trouble with it and heard worse).

So long as they don't download and run .exe files, .scr files etc after
that, without virus checking them first, they should be pretty safe.

h.t.h. -Peter

NZed

This is a very good dedicated program made by a kiwi in Aus.
http://www.stopitnow.com.au/

From what I understand having a virus checker and firewall is not always
enough to stop the trojan from controling your the dialer. See the website
for more info.

NZed

"Andy Lawson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cLf5b.884$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know a good program to prevent dialler hijacking or other assorted
> stealth dialling?.
>
> The reason I ask, is a family friend unexpectedly found four high cost

calls
> to Luxemburg on her phone bill. Turns out her teenage grandson got sucked
> into installing something he shouldn't have whilst doing chat on msn. I
> discovered a Strip Player had been installed on her system and it had
> stopped the modem making any sound during dialling. So something to sit in
> the background and prevent unintended dialling would be great or
> alternatively, something to allow only one number to be dialled i.e the

ISP.

Andy Lawson

"NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wXF5b.1180$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is a very good dedicated program made by a kiwi in Aus.
> http://www.stopitnow.com.au/
>
> From what I understand having a virus checker and firewall is not always
> enough to stop the trojan from controling your the dialer. See the website
> for more info.

I seem to recall hearing something about a program called StopItNow being
advertised via messenger service spam. Or was that weenies trying to make it
look bad, the domains popup advertised were all variations on StopIt,
StopIt.biz and StopItNow.net.

NZed

To be honest I havnt used it but know one of the kiwis who developed it who
is in Sydney. They developed the program as a result of many problems they
had in Aus and around the world.
If you have any questions I am sure he will reply via the website address.

NZed

"Andy Lawson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsTV5b.2383$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wXF5b.1180$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > This is a very good dedicated program made by a kiwi in Aus.
> > http://www.stopitnow.com.au/
> >
> > From what I understand having a virus checker and firewall is not always
> > enough to stop the trojan from controling your the dialer. See the

website
> > for more info.
> >

> I seem to recall hearing something about a program called StopItNow being
> advertised via messenger service spam. Or was that weenies trying to make

it
> look bad, the domains popup advertised were all variations on StopIt,
> StopIt.biz and StopItNow.net.

Paul

Get spybot or adaware..

They'll remove it from the
registry

Simple ISDN dialler Willk Cisco 4 09-29-2004 06:14 PM
Virus in Dialler Colin Hamilton Computer Support 3 01-26-2004 02:37 AM
phone dialler link Orson HTML 2 10-21-2003 06:26 AM
double dialler problem miss calm Computer Support 18 09-12-2003 05:26 PM
BT Dialler pos up Alexander Scott Hamilton Computer Support 4 08-25-2003 07:49 PM

Advertisments