Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Xbox Resolution

Xbox Resolution

Ali P

Hi all,
I currently hook up my XBox to the TV using a composite RCA connector (the
yellow one). This is the type of TV I've got ...
http://www.eprodz.com/ep/products.cgi?prod=2715&tab=1
If I used a component cable instead (red, green and blue) will this help to
get rid of the jaggies and aliasing that I get or will this actually worsen
it by making the resolution sharper. What about an s-video connection?
Just wondering before I invest in some new cables.
TIA,
Al

Robert Kramer

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 00:02:25 +1200, "Ali P"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I currently hook up my XBox to the TV using a composite RCA connector (the
>yellow one). This is the type of TV I've got ...
>http://www.eprodz.com/ep/products.cgi?prod=2715&tab=1
>If I used a component cable instead (red, green and blue) will this help to
>get rid of the jaggies and aliasing that I get or will this actually worsen
>it by making the resolution sharper. What about an s-video connection?
>Just wondering before I invest in some new cables.
>TIA,
>Al

TV's are a low res device and most have a 0.64mm dot pitch were a low grade
PC Monitor would be around 0.28mm.

A RGB Lead will give the best Pic.

madknoxie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
madknoxie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Robert Kramer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > >What about an s-video connection?

> > A RGB Lead will give the best Pic.

> Thats funny, when I bought some cables to connect my iBook with the
> telly/vcr, the guy said that s-video will give better picture quality...
> do you have some references? (I don't I'm quite curious about which
> one is better.

Oh wait, I think I'm thinking about RCA vs. s-video...

--
madknoxie

Bazz

Ali P wrote:
> Hi all,
> I currently hook up my XBox to the TV using a composite RCA connector (the
> yellow one). This is the type of TV I've got ...
> http://www.eprodz.com/ep/products.cgi?prod=2715&tab=1
> If I used a component cable instead (red, green and blue) will this help to
> get rid of the jaggies and aliasing that I get or will this actually worsen
> it by making the resolution sharper. What about an s-video connection?
> Just wondering before I invest in some new cables.
> TIA,
> Al

Hi Ali

I use the svideo on mine. I get awsome pics and no jaggies. Is on an
elcheapo 29" Transonic. Better than the rca connections.

HTH
bAZZ

Nathan Mercer

"Ali P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kzG4b.552$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> I currently hook up my XBox to the TV using a composite RCA connector (the
> yellow one). This is the type of TV I've got ...
> http://www.eprodz.com/ep/products.cgi?prod=2715&tab=1
> If I used a component cable instead (red, green and blue) will this help

> get rid of the jaggies and aliasing that I get or will this actually

worsen
> it by making the resolution sharper. What about an s-video connection?
> Just wondering before I invest in some new cables.

Get the Advanced AV pack and plug into your TV through svideo connection -
picture should be noticebly clearer

Robert Kramer

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 02:30:14 +1200, madknoxie
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Robert Kramer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> >What about an s-video connection?

>> A RGB Lead will give the best Pic.

>Thats funny, when I bought some cables to connect my iBook with the
>telly/vcr, the guy said that s-video will give better picture quality...
>do you have some references? (I don't I'm quite curious about which
>one is better.

Yes I am that Reference, RGB is far better than S-Video

Myname

don't bother...

xbox's tvout chip suck.

i've a sony es29 drc, xbox and xbox's av high definition pack...

makes no difference...

with av high definition pack all u can see is cristal clear mosaics(big
chunks) on DVDs. for games, i don't see any improvements.

Richard Malcolm-Smith

> Get the Advanced AV pack and plug into your TV through svideo connection -
> picture should be noticebly clearer

No, dont get that, go to trademe and get a svideo or component cable from there.

The advanced av pack is bought to you by the same company that sells a $40
crossover cable. Its a rip.

Ali P

"Richard Malcolm-Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bj1n7c$2v0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Get the Advanced AV pack and plug into your TV through svideo

connection -
> > picture should be noticebly clearer

> No, dont get that, go to trademe and get a svideo or component cable from

there.

> The advanced av pack is bought to you by the same company that sells a $40
> crossover cable. Its a rip.

Thats exactly what I was thinking of doing. There's a guy on there that
sells them now and then for a buy-now of around $15 which seemed like a good
price. Its some generic third-party brand, not official MS stuff. My TV has
both an svideo and component input - which one is best?

Kent Smith

"Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> In article <kzG4b.552$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Hi all,
> > I currently hook up my XBox to the TV using a composite RCA connector

(the
> > yellow one). This is the type of TV I've got ...
> > http://www.eprodz.com/ep/products.cgi?prod=2715&tab=1
> > If I used a component cable instead (red, green and blue) will this help

> > get rid of the jaggies and aliasing that I get or will this actually

worsen
> > it by making the resolution sharper. What about an s-video connection?
> > Just wondering before I invest in some new cables.

> RGB definitely is the best, this is essentially what is in a VGA
> connector on a computer. Svideo also is better than composite.

Almost. RGB carries a sync signal on the Green wire. VGA is RGBHV, that is
two independent syncs for Horizontal and Vertical.

-KENT