Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > stand alone DVD players that can be made regon free eazily. (or are regon free)

stand alone DVD players that can be made regon free eazily. (or are regon free)

geoffm

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 23:09:53 +1200, "Daniel Farley"
<spam@bites_the_dust_.again> wrote:

>Hey can people give me a list of DVD players that are, or can be easely made
>regon free.
>
>And give links with more info would be cool
>
>Thanks Daniel

My Yukai is region free. The Yukai, Mustek 560 and Transonic are all
the same under the front plastic and you can set the region code to
whatever you want. Dick Smiths site has the instructions.
The kmart Magnavox and woolworths/ Foodtown Muzida are region free
IIRC.
I am pleased with my Yukai - plays VCDs and DVDs fine, although it
had trouble with one rental disk (scratched) which caused it to halt
briefly at intervals. Ripping it to SVCD fixed it.

T-Boy

In article <bj1g92$sq0$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bj1ct4$pcs$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > E. Scrooge wrote:
> > > "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bj1268$hr1$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > One of the options in mine was a bigger power supply. If I ran it
> > > non stop it would make a noticeable difference. The old PC would
> > > hardly make much difference at all.

> > Simply having a bigger power supply doesn't change the amount of power

> that
> > your components draw, though. You can rig up a specially wired 3-pin

> double
> > adaptor that lets you use a multimeter to read the current draw. 1.2 amps
> > was the combined total of my monitor and my computer. The computer itself
> > only draws about .3 or .4 amps.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Nicholas Sherlock

> Thanks for that information. I'll be able to plug some 2,000 watt heaters
> in without any affect to power consumption?

You plug wallheaters into your PC power supply output
connectors ??? - fuk sake, no wonder you have so many problems
- yer running 'em on 5 n' 12v for starters!

--
Duncan

T.N.O.

"Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
> Simply having a bigger power supply doesn't change the amount of power

that
> your components draw, though. You can rig up a specially wired 3-pin

double
> adaptor that lets you use a multimeter to read the current draw. 1.2 amps
> was the combined total of my monitor and my computer. The computer itself
> only draws about .3 or .4 amps.

i guessing that you dont do alot of anything with your computer...

T.N.O.

"T-Boy" wrote
> You plug wallheaters into your PC power supply output
> connectors ??? - fuk sake, no wonder you have so many problems
> - yer running 'em on 5 n' 12v for starters!

nah, I have a cigarette lighter in the front of my case, I run a 12v
inverter off that, and plug it into that.

T.N.O.

"Nicholas Sherlock" wrote
> > i guessing that you dont do alot of anything with your computer...

> Oh no, I do heaps with my computer. That value was while running a torture
> test, and stayed the same during games too (CS). 1.53ghz, 256MB DDR, GF2
> MX400, 2cdrom drives, 1 80gig 7200rpm hard drive.

Oh ok... your figure sounds remarkably low.

colinco

In article <bj311b$epabk$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Oh ok... your figure sounds remarkably low.

I'd guess his PSU efficiency is high or his meter's is low.

T.N.O.

"colinco" wrote
> > Oh ok... your figure sounds remarkably low.
> >

> I'd guess his PSU efficiency is high or his meter's is low.

maybe both, Computer PSU's are not known for their efficiency.

T-Boy

In article <bj2vmr$d1gnj$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> "T-Boy" wrote
> > You plug wallheaters into your PC power supply output
> > connectors ??? - fuk sake, no wonder you have so many problems
> > - yer running 'em on 5 n' 12v for starters!

> nah, I have a cigarette lighter in the front of my case, I run a 12v
> inverter off that, and plug it into that.

LOL - did you make it, or buy the Thinkgeek version.

I'm gonna do the same, run a wee light that will sit up on the
Server monitor - so if the power goes off, I'll still have
light to see what's happenning.

--
Duncan

The Flash

"E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote in message
news:bj1g92$sq0$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bj1ct4$pcs$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > E. Scrooge wrote:
> > > "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bj1268$hr1$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > One of the options in mine was a bigger power supply. If I ran it
> > > non stop it would make a noticeable difference. The old PC would
> > > hardly make much difference at all.

> > Simply having a bigger power supply doesn't change the amount of power

> that
> > your components draw, though. You can rig up a specially wired 3-pin

> double
> > adaptor that lets you use a multimeter to read the current draw. 1.2

amps
> > was the combined total of my monitor and my computer. The computer

itself
> > only draws about .3 or .4 amps.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Nicholas Sherlock

> Thanks for that information. I'll be able to plug some 2,000 watt heaters
> in without any affect to power consumption?
>
> The increase I went up in for the PC was ffrom 250 watts or whatever it

was
> as standard to at least 350 watts from memory. It might not be that
> noticeable comapred to a 2,000 watt heater going flat out non stop, but

this
> PC uses more juice than the old Pentium 200 MMX does. Something of which
> was expected and not a problem anyway.
>
> E. Scrooge

Thats not a PSU issue thats a simple consumption issue, turn off any tasks
that run the cpu 100% loaded ( prime95, seti etc etc) set power saving to
turn off HDD and monitor and set system to suspend to memory after 30 mins
of inactivity and the consumption will be minor.

The monitor is the real hog as it cannot save power when being used in a
visual mode, when TFT's get to $300 I will get on the power saving
justerfication.

~misfit~

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bj3eh4$ee7hv$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "T-Boy" wrote
> > > nah, I have a cigarette lighter in the front of my case, I run a 12v
> > > inverter off that, and plug it into that.

> > LOL - did you make it, or buy the Thinkgeek version.

> errr, I was kidding, but some of the 12v car accessories have me wondering
> about how I could impliment them into my PC... mostly a car stereo amp...

> need some good sound, but most have a 30 amp fuse in them, suggesting that
> the PC PSU would not cope.

I've done that but using a stand-alone old AT PSU next to my PC.

> > I'm gonna do the same, run a wee light that will sit up on the
> > Server monitor - so if the power goes off, I'll still have
> > light to see what's happenning.

> but if you have no power, what will power the light?

UPS? He did say server.
--
~misfit~

---