Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Already being dialed

Already being dialed

Sonn

I've been trying to sort out a dialup problem, with not much luck. When I
boot up I connect and get my mail, but after a period of inactivity, if I
try to dial out again I get a message : 756 This connection is already being
dialed. Online and XP Help isn't [helpful] as all it says is "wait and try
again later". Even if I go into Control Panel, properties, and get the
modem to "disconnect" it doesn't (says it is, but doesn't). Something is
stealing my modem (sorry I don't know the tech lingo). Anyway, ideas
please, how I find out what's going on so I can fix it.
Thanks
S.

---

colinco

> I've been trying to sort out a dialup problem, with not much luck. When I
> boot up I connect and get my mail, but after a period of inactivity, if I
> try to dial out again I get a message : 756 This connection is already being
> dialed. Online and XP Help isn't [helpful] as all it says is "wait and try
> again later". Even if I go into Control Panel, properties, and get the
> modem to "disconnect" it doesn't (says it is, but doesn't). Something is
> stealing my modem (sorry I don't know the tech lingo). Anyway, ideas
> please, how I find out what's going on so I can fix it.
> Thanks
> S.
>

> ---

How long has this been happening? Are there any modem settings that
limit how many times you can dial a number within a set time period?
Some modems have a thing called "blacklisting" that stops you calling a
number too frequently.

T-Boy

says...
> I've been trying to sort out a dialup problem, with not much luck. When I
> boot up I connect and get my mail, but after a period of inactivity, if I
> try to dial out again I get a message : 756 This connection is already being
> dialed. Online and XP Help isn't [helpful] as all it says is "wait and try
> again later". Even if I go into Control Panel, properties, and get the
> modem to "disconnect" it doesn't (says it is, but doesn't). Something is
> stealing my modem (sorry I don't know the tech lingo). Anyway, ideas
> please, how I find out what's going on so I can fix it.
> Thanks

All the users I've had with those symptoms (can't disconnect in
particular) have been Blaster worm infected.

D/l and install the appropriate patch from this page - and see
if your symptoms improve

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?
url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

--
Duncan