Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVD player guts

DVD player guts

Nicholas Sherlock

Hey all,

Has anyone else tried taking the DVD-ROM drive out of their DVD-player and
sticking it into their computer?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Russell Smithies

"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:birvr3$fnk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey all,
>
> Has anyone else tried taking the DVD-ROM drive out of their DVD-player and
> sticking it into their computer?
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock

why bother?
they're not that expensive.

Russell

Rupert

it's probably not a dvd-rom player as you get in a PC - more likely to be a
custom device the same as your CD player in your stereo is.

"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:birvr3$fnk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey all,
>
> Has anyone else tried taking the DVD-ROM drive out of their DVD-player and
> sticking it into their computer?
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock

tim

> why bother?
> they're not that expensive.

never ask a geek that question...

Kristofer Clayton

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:59:03 +0800, "Rupert" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>it's probably not a dvd-rom player as you get in a PC - more likely to be a
>custom device the same as your CD player in your stereo is.

Have you seen them? The units in the Mustek players I've seen have
your standard 4 pin molex power plug and an IDE connector!

--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand

~misfit~

"tim" <tim-j@[spam]operamail.com> wrote in message
news:4di4b.132843$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > why bother?
> > they're not that expensive.

> never ask a geek that question...

LOL, too true.
--
~misfit~

---

tim

> Have you seen them? The units in the Mustek players I've seen have
> your standard 4 pin molex power plug and an IDE connector!

are these the 2 channel ones offered at dickhead smith for $130?
thought that was kind of cool price actually. u know, that is pretty cheap
for a dvd player.
mmm mass production

yeah so quality is probably shite and the sound is only 2 channel but so
what?!? that is perfect for alot of people...

got a kick out of showing my olds how to use the subtitle feature to show
them how to pick up something when they can't hear the audio, how to
fastforward/rewind at multiple speeds, how to show elapsed/remaining time,
etc. **** like that is useful to them...

Nicholas Sherlock

Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Has anyone else tried taking the DVD-ROM drive out of their
> DVD-player and sticking it into their computer?

Thanks everyone, it works fine on my PC and I have already perfectly "backed
up" 2 movies. Too bad the drive is only 2x.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Brett Cooper

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 07:32:47 +1200, "Nicholas Sherlock"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Has anyone else tried taking the DVD-ROM drive out of their
>> DVD-player and sticking it into their computer?

>Thanks everyone, it works fine on my PC and I have already perfectly "backed
>up" 2 movies. Too bad the drive is only 2x.
>
>Cheers,
>Nicholas Sherlock

Does this mean I could buy a cheap DVD ide drive to fix my non working
Toshiba dvd player?

T.N.O.

"Brett Cooper" wrote
> Does this mean I could buy a cheap DVD ide drive to fix my non working
> Toshiba dvd player?

Maybe... It worked for a mates Mizumi(?) brand player... he has since put a
faster drive in, with more cache, and it seems to run smoother.

What's the guts with xtra's email? Chris Sherlock NZ Computing 7 05-04-2008 06:23 PM
System Guts(power information) MidiBot@gmail.com Java 9 03-21-2006 02:07 PM
changing the guts of an enum value Aryeh M. Friedman Java 1 05-02-2005 06:17 PM
CF CARD GUTS LEICA Digital Photography 9 12-21-2004 09:06 AM
Right, I've had a guts full Ian O NZ Computing 44 07-24-2003 09:33 AM

Advertisments