Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > jetstart ISP's

jetstart ISP's

tim

hey yall, can somebody please give me the lowdown on what are the best ISP's
to get jetstart thru, ie largest cap + best service. There was a big post
just the other day about jetstream but despite my opinions on that thread
and my moral ojections to supporting a company that is blatently abusing its
power I have decided to sell my soul to the devil and get jetstart anyway
because I have no other realistic options!!! I am angry but I need always on
Internet connectivity as I am (partly) working from home on project work so
WTF can u do u know?

hmm, its probably a simple answer to this as i doubt there are more than 2-3
good ISP's anyway... lol I have no idea and can't be assed sorting thru
local ISP webpages (i have been in noodleland for a year so not up with the
play). I checked the nz.comp posts for the last six months but didn't see
this topic specifically mentioned...

please keep the thread on topic, no i don't own this thread but lets make it
useful and show our maturity this time ok... <g>

also, anything i should be wary about? installation/service wise...

cheers

The Other Guy

Orcon seems to be a good option. $39.95 for 15GB of international traffic,
$19.95 for the 5GB plan.

I have a few small complaints that are hardly worth mentioning, and one big
complaint - their e-mail server(s)!

I am certain a portion of my e-mail disappears. I got some e-mail from
Yahoo! Groups for a short period when they 'upgraded' their e-mail server
that I should have been getting for the 12 months prior to that, but lately
I haven't been getting this mail again... stupid spam filtering rules I
suspect. I also had problems getting some mail from academic addresses
within NZ, but that seems to have been resolved. And for some reason DBMail
insists on rearranging the order of items in POP3 accounts. Their server
also seems to stop responding if sending mail to a system with no reverse
lookup.

One neat feature is their free content filtering... problem is it complains
if a URL has 'sex' in it, which is hardly an uncommon thing to find when
submitting forms that contain a 'sex' field for gender.

Aside from their dodgy e-mail, I would highly recommend them. I suspect most
of my problems have been caused by Telecom.

Avoid Dynalink routers, they don't supply adequate firmware support, even
for models that are 'current'.

The Other Guy

"tim" <tim-j@[spam]operamail.com> wrote in message
newslX3b.131860$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hey yall, can somebody please give me the lowdown on what are the best

ISP's
> to get jetstart thru, ie largest cap + best service. There was a big post
> just the other day about jetstream but despite my opinions on that thread
> and my moral ojections to supporting a company that is blatently abusing

its
> power I have decided to sell my soul to the devil and get jetstart anyway
> because I have no other realistic options!!! I am angry but I need always

on
> Internet connectivity as I am (partly) working from home on project work

so
> WTF can u do u know?
>
> hmm, its probably a simple answer to this as i doubt there are more than

2-3
> good ISP's anyway... lol I have no idea and can't be assed sorting thru
> local ISP webpages (i have been in noodleland for a year so not up with

the
> play). I checked the nz.comp posts for the last six months but didn't see
> this topic specifically mentioned...
>
> please keep the thread on topic, no i don't own this thread but lets make

it
> useful and show our maturity this time ok... <g>
>
> also, anything i should be wary about? installation/service wise...
>
> cheers

tim

hi peter,

yeah maxnet sounds ok

have to laugh at theirs and others pricing for jetstream. Jetstream 20gb =
$1600NZ
In korea (yes i know this in nz blah blah) I averaged around 250/150gb
up/down respectively per month for about 10 months straight. It cost me
around $25NZ per month and there was no connection fee.. different world eh
<g>

ISP Cap (gb) Cost ($)
ihug 10 35
inspire 10 35
maxnet 12 33
orcon 15 40
paradise 10 30
quicksilver 10 35
wave ?
webworld 10 40

nb not comprehensive but u get the idea...

so either maxnet looks pretty damn good..

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> this quote is from tim of Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:19 :
> > hey yall, can somebody please give me the lowdown on what are the best
> > ISP's to get jetstart thru, ie largest cap + best service.

> Maxnet works fine for me.
> About $33/month for 12GB international + unlimited NZ
>
> There was a problem with newsgroups, but this seems to be fixed since

about
> April.
> Help desk folk have always been quite good.
>

> > also, anything i should be wary about? installation/service wise...

> Watch out you don't live too far from the phone exchange. I live almost

3km
> and it is about on the limit for Telecom. Jetstart is ok at 128kbps, but
> the line wouldn't support jetstream speeds.
>

> HTH
>
> Peter

The Other Guy

Yes, there are groups with those names on the Orcon server. AFAIK the Orcon
news service is still supplied by Asia Online.

Of the warez groups containing the word 'warez', only two appear to be
active.

The multimedia and mp3 groups appear to be mostly active, althought I can't
comment on content or completeness as I don't subscribe to any of these
groups.

Orcon most probably still uses a sucking arrangement to obtain news from
Asia Online, which last I knew was also sucking from another site.
Therefore, it is quite likely you can access any of these groups once they
are cached, which simply requires reading a message in the group.

The Other Guy

"mnm snr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> well ihug at $34.95 for 10gb international/unlimited national arent as
> good as either of those (orcon/maxnet). they do carry a lot of obscure
> binaries newsgroups but nothing containing the words multimedia or mp3 hmm
> or warez come to think of it. do orcon or maxnet carry those?
>
> it seems odd that they have a good distribution of news servers around the
> country but the best you can get from them is the occasional foreign
> language movie which has been accidentally posted to the wrong newsgroup.
>

> On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:19:22 +1200, tim wrote:
>
> > hey yall, can somebody please give me the lowdown on what are the best
> > ISP's to get jetstart thru, ie largest cap + best service. There was a

big
> > post just the other day about jetstream but despite my opinions on that

PaulW

"The Other Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Orcon seems to be a good option. $39.95 for 15GB of international traffic,
>$19.95 for the 5GB plan.
>
>I have a few small complaints that are hardly worth mentioning, and one big
>complaint - their e-mail server(s)!
>
>I am certain a portion of my e-mail disappears. I got some e-mail from
>Yahoo! Groups for a short period when they 'upgraded' their e-mail server
>that I should have been getting for the 12 months prior to that, but lately
>I haven't been getting this mail again... stupid spam filtering rules I
>suspect. I also had problems getting some mail from academic addresses
>within NZ, but that seems to have been resolved. And for some reason DBMail
>insists on rearranging the order of items in POP3 accounts. Their server
>also seems to stop responding if sending mail to a system with no reverse
>lookup.

This happened to me last Friday on Orcon. All my Yahoo group mail
bounced. I had to go to Yahoo groups and unbouce it. Seems to happen
about once every few months..

tim

hmm, think maybe i should start subscribing to local ISP support newsgroups
before purchasing eh...

"PaulW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> "The Other Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Orcon seems to be a good option. $39.95 for 15GB of international

traffic,
> >$19.95 for the 5GB plan.
> >
> >I have a few small complaints that are hardly worth mentioning, and one

big
> >complaint - their e-mail server(s)!
> >
> >I am certain a portion of my e-mail disappears. I got some e-mail from
> >Yahoo! Groups for a short period when they 'upgraded' their e-mail server
> >that I should have been getting for the 12 months prior to that, but

lately
> >I haven't been getting this mail again... stupid spam filtering rules I
> >suspect. I also had problems getting some mail from academic addresses
> >within NZ, but that seems to have been resolved. And for some reason

DBMail
> >insists on rearranging the order of items in POP3 accounts. Their server
> >also seems to stop responding if sending mail to a system with no reverse
> >lookup.
> >

> This happened to me last Friday on Orcon. All my Yahoo group mail
> bounced. I had to go to Yahoo groups and unbouce it. Seems to happen
> about once every few months..

Nicholas Sherlock

PaulW wrote:
> This happened to me last Friday on Orcon. All my Yahoo group mail
> bounced. I had to go to Yahoo groups and unbouce it. Seems to happen
> about once every few months..

That's because Yahoo keeps being added to spamming blacklists worldwide. I
don't know why the ISPs don't just add another filter that says that Yahoo
is never to be blocked.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

tim

hi aaron,

yes sorry my bad. I was refering to gigabytes in both cases below....

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=
> > $1600NZ
> > In korea (yes i know this in nz blah blah) I averaged around 250/150gb

> Do you actually mean GB ie. Giga Bytes?
>
> I know it's somewhat pedantic, but in the area of communications people
> often do use little 'b' meaning bits, (e.g. ethernet = 10Mbps) so it's
> helpful to get it right.
>
> --
> aaronl at consultant dot com
> For every expert, there is an equal and
> opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke

Mainlander

In article <bitj1i$p46$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> PaulW wrote:
> > This happened to me last Friday on Orcon. All my Yahoo group mail
> > bounced. I had to go to Yahoo groups and unbouce it. Seems to happen
> > about once every few months..

> That's because Yahoo keeps being added to spamming blacklists worldwide. I

Bulldust