Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Knoppix "Closed due to Softare Patents"

Knoppix "Closed due to Softare Patents"

Evil Bastard

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:07:05 +1200, Howard Johnson wrote:

> Heres the news story at /.
> http://slashdot.org/articles/03/08/2...tid=185&tid=99
> Perhaps you were just too impatient to see your own name in print.

I knew they were going to cover it in some form, but I can't help but
notice the sugary spin they've put on it.

From what I can tell, Knopper is simply scared of getting sued, since
Knoppix probably contains 10,000 or more incidents of software 'patent
infringements'.

But I can understand the /. editorial decision. They don't want to put out
anything that can even remotely be viewed as giving credence to software
patents.

Software patents have an evil potential that would make Monsanto look like
Certified Organics in comparison.

For ****s sake, letting politicians legislate over technology is like
taking an afternoon nap in a house full of 4-year-olds with matches,
flammable fluids and uninsulated mains cords.

Oh, but "What I don't know about won't hurt me" is the prevailing belief
these days.

Evil Bastard

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:22:21 +1200, Howard Johnson wrote:

> They have run stories about EU software patents quite regularly.
> A protest notice on a project site isn't news.

But shutting down all access to a popular and respected Linux
distribution, *because* of patents, is most definitely news.

Howard Johnson

"Evil Bastard" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
newsan.2003.08.30.02.48.18.462270@127.0.0.1...
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:07:05 +1200, Howard Johnson wrote:
>
> > Heres the news story at /.

http://slashdot.org/articles/03/08/2...tid=185&tid=99
> > Perhaps you were just too impatient to see your own name in print.

> I knew they were going to cover it in some form, but I can't help but
> notice the sugary spin they've put on it.

Slashdot is a US site.
It is to be expected that they will be patronising towards EU issues

> From what I can tell, Knopper is simply scared of getting sued, since
> Knoppix probably contains 10,000 or more incidents of software 'patent
> infringements'.

So does everything, but they are currently unenforceable, the pending EU
legislation would change that
Knoppix is the same as every other linux distro, its a preconfigured Debian
with some scripting and the Redhat kudzu tool
Klaus Knopper is a participant in the protest campaign that lists about 2800
sites so far.

> But I can understand the /. editorial decision. They don't want to put out
> anything that can even remotely be viewed as giving credence to software
> patents.
>
> Software patents have an evil potential that would make Monsanto look like
> Certified Organics in comparison.
>
> For ****s sake, letting politicians legislate over technology is like
> taking an afternoon nap in a house full of 4-year-olds with matches,
> flammable fluids and uninsulated mains cords.

Agreed, thats why all these European sites are protesting

> Oh, but "What I don't know about won't hurt me" is the prevailing belief
> these days.

Always has been, but whats a eurogeek to do, but put up a big protest notice
on his high traffic site to try and get the message across to as many people
who can lobby the Eurocrats who draft these decisions as possible.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <bimlm5$appbk$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Redbaiter" wrote
>> How unbearably tragic...

>Are you being serious, or taking the ****...
>My opinion is yeah, it sucks, but hey, it is Linux, isnt this the community
>that is meant to make a way to do everything, where there is a need, it will
>be filled... what one distro cant do, one soon will, and also all that
>freedom crap?

If apple can't win a look and feel action against microsoft, there is bugger
all chance of anyone winning anything over moving a mouse or anything equally
silly.

I say let em try ... they'll fail. If not, everyone is screwed anyway

Bruce

Oook !
NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !