Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > running windows NT on a ramdisk

running windows NT on a ramdisk

tim

hey guys,

Does anyone know what an easy (ie cheap, efficient) way of running windows
without a harddisk.
I'm thinking a machine with 1-2gb of ram with most of that being dedicated
to the ramdisk with the OS being swapped out over the network (imaging, eg
ghosting) and users using roaming profiles with most of the data residing on
the server.

am i still dreaming? anyone doing this, is the RAM cost still prohibitive to
make this economically viable. I'm thinking the intented users would be
corporate clients and pc cafe's/rooms. Make it easy to swap out hardware and
abstract out the maintance of PC's and user support.

I am aware of this company, previously trading under the name of Sunbelt
Software. www.superspeed.com/ that have offered the technology to run
windows OS's off a ramdisk, haven't tried it or caught up with the news in
this field for a couple of years tho.

yeah yeah, linux right? hmm....

tim

ok thanks will look into that tho i suspect embedded XP will bring with it
certain limitations tho...

yeah i am aware of win98 working in this manner but win98 is not ideal for
corporate, even in pc rooms I think they are a mistake.

i guess a small HD would just be alot cheaper and easier eh...
i see even a 40gb is only $130NZ. hmm, the extra space (eg most of the disk)
could be used in a distributed fashion on a network to store data
redundantly and other uses eh. dreaming again?

sigh... my life is a conspiracy against my apathy.

news:wKg3b.14384$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I doubt you'll have much luck getting standard WinNT to work on a ram

and/or
> network drive. WFW was the last time I had any luck with that combo.
>
> I have heard of Win95 working that way, but that's years ago.
>
> Why not take a look at embedded XP, it's designed to do this and will run
> from CD / ROM etc.
>

> "tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ayg3b.129570$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > hey guys,
> >
> > Does anyone know what an easy (ie cheap, efficient) way of running

windows
> > without a harddisk.
> > I'm thinking a machine with 1-2gb of ram with most of that being

dedicated
> > to the ramdisk with the OS being swapped out over the network (imaging,

> eg
> > ghosting) and users using roaming profiles with most of the data

residing
> on
> > the server.
> >
> > am i still dreaming? anyone doing this, is the RAM cost still

prohibitive
> > make this economically viable. I'm thinking the intented users would be
> > corporate clients and pc cafe's/rooms. Make it easy to swap out hardware

> and
> > abstract out the maintance of PC's and user support.
> >
> > I am aware of this company, previously trading under the name of Sunbelt
> > Software. www.superspeed.com/ that have offered the technology to run
> > windows OS's off a ramdisk, haven't tried it or caught up with the news

in
> > this field for a couple of years tho.
> >
> > yeah yeah, linux right? hmm....

David

If you goal is easy managment, rebuild etc, why not build a standard image,
sysprep it and then clone to target machines, if one gets rooted, refresh
from image.

"tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Osh3b.129626$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ok thanks will look into that tho i suspect embedded XP will bring with it
> certain limitations tho...
>
> yeah i am aware of win98 working in this manner but win98 is not ideal for
> corporate, even in pc rooms I think they are a mistake.
>
> i guess a small HD would just be alot cheaper and easier eh...
> i see even a 40gb is only $130NZ. hmm, the extra space (eg most of the

disk)
> could be used in a distributed fashion on a network to store data
> redundantly and other uses eh. dreaming again?

tim

news:%bi3b.6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you goal is easy managment, rebuild etc, why not build a standard

image,
> sysprep it and then clone to target machines, if one gets rooted, refresh
> from image.

yeah thats the general plan...

Steven H

as a side note, i know it is possible to "mount a ntfs drive in a
folder" does this mean that if you have 1-n partitians of various sizes
that if you "mount" these in a folder you get a "virtual" large drive
the capacaty of the partitains?

Steven H

tim

> If you goal is easy managment, rebuild etc, why not build a standard

image,
> sysprep it and then clone to target machines, if one gets rooted, refresh
> from image.

The thing that I like about being forced to dynamically load an OS in the
ramdisk situation is that it forces you to be proactive about system
management. A couple of benefits:

* If a software problem occurs on a machine it will be gone at next boot.
* Tweaking the master image and having it replicated to target machines
without further manual intervention is likely to lead to more frequent
updating.
* Seperation of hardware and software, less hassles in fixing machines, ie
no OS or HD issues...

hmm, is it even possible to remotely ghost a machine (ie no manual
intervention on remote machine)?

T.N.O.

"tim" wrote
> hmm, is it even possible to remotely ghost a machine (ie no manual
> intervention on remote machine)?

yup, we do it at work.

Richard Malcolm-Smith

Steven H wrote:

> as a side note, i know it is possible to "mount a ntfs drive in a
> folder" does this mean that if you have 1-n partitians of various sizes
> that if you "mount" these in a folder you get a "virtual" large drive
> the capacaty of the partitains?

No, and the free space reported in most applications will be that of the root
drive, not the directory you are in. Applicaions will move files expecting it to
be quick and the whole app will freese while the file is really moved.

I tried it with dc++ and the downloaded folder, everytime something moved from
partial to downloaded, the whole thing ground to a halt.