Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: TV Out cable

Re: TV Out cable

David Keane

GraB wrote:

>Got a TV Out s-video to s-video cable, connected it to the Radeon 7500
>and my TV and started the computer. Was impressed to be able to watch
>the boot-up on TV and seeing Windows fullscreen. Off course text is
>nowhere near as clear. Tried a DVD. Quality difference between the
>computer monitor and the TV was the same as with the text. The
>computer monitor was far superior, grainless, crisp, sharp and
>detailed, the TV doesn't get a look in. The picture on the TV was as
>good as TV pictures can get but nowhere near the PC monitor. That has
>decided me against a stand-alone DVD player, would rather put the
>money into a larger monitor.
>
>Only thing was there was no sound on the TV. Does the TV Out not
>carry sound as well?

an S-Video Cable only carries a Video signal, not an Audio signal AFAIK.
You'll need to use a RCA or *cringe* a 3.5mm cable to do the audio. Plug
it into the line-in socket(the one that isn't line out, and isn't
microphone) on your soundcard or motherboard.

GraB

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 00:00:18 +1200, David Keane
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>GraB wrote:
>
>>Got a TV Out s-video to s-video cable, connected it to the Radeon 7500
>>and my TV and started the computer. Was impressed to be able to watch
>>the boot-up on TV and seeing Windows fullscreen. Off course text is
>>nowhere near as clear. Tried a DVD. Quality difference between the
>>computer monitor and the TV was the same as with the text. The
>>computer monitor was far superior, grainless, crisp, sharp and
>>detailed, the TV doesn't get a look in. The picture on the TV was as
>>good as TV pictures can get but nowhere near the PC monitor. That has
>>decided me against a stand-alone DVD player, would rather put the
>>money into a larger monitor.
>>
>>Only thing was there was no sound on the TV. Does the TV Out not
>>carry sound as well?
>>

>an S-Video Cable only carries a Video signal, not an Audio signal AFAIK.
>You'll need to use a RCA or *cringe* a 3.5mm cable to do the audio. Plug
>it into the line-in socket(the one that isn't line out, and isn't
>microphone) on your soundcard or motherboard.

Using the line-out to my amp, but I have a double-adapter that I could
use. Thanks.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>GraB wrote:
>
>>Got a TV Out s-video to s-video cable, connected it to the Radeon 7500
>>and my TV and started the computer. Was impressed to be able to watch
>>the boot-up on TV and seeing Windows fullscreen. Off course text is
>>nowhere near as clear. Tried a DVD. Quality difference between the
>>computer monitor and the TV was the same as with the text. The
>>computer monitor was far superior, grainless, crisp, sharp and
>>detailed, the TV doesn't get a look in. The picture on the TV was as
>>good as TV pictures can get but nowhere near the PC monitor. That has
>>decided me against a stand-alone DVD player, would rather put the
>>money into a larger monitor.
>>
>>Only thing was there was no sound on the TV. Does the TV Out not
>>carry sound as well?
>>

>an S-Video Cable only carries a Video signal, not an Audio signal AFAIK.
>You'll need to use a RCA or *cringe* a 3.5mm cable to do the audio. Plug
>it into the line-in socket(the one that isn't line out, and isn't
>microphone) on your soundcard or motherboard.

Using the line-out to my amp, but I have a double-adapter that I could
use. Thanks.

Andrew

In that case, couldnt you send the signal from your amp to the tv? - or just
use the amps speakers which are obviously already hooked up

news(E-Mail Removed)...