Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Spammers using Bayesian Filtering

Spammers using Bayesian Filtering

Evil Bastard

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:04:41 -0700, Will Dwinnell wrote:

> Both of these have already happened, at least for authenticating
> humans for obtaining system accounts (as on SlashDot and Yahoo). See,
> for instance:
>
> http://www.cedar.buffalo.edu/DIAR03/baird.ppt

What a fascinating study. Thanks for that!

Jay

Robyn Nunn wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:39:46 +1000, Jay <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I haven't received any spam or over a year.
>>Maybe you are giving your email address to the wrong people.

> The problem is, once the spammers have your email address - how do you
> fix the problem without changing your email?

You change you email. And next time you are more careful.

> I've started replying to the removal notices despite what is the
> common consensus not to. I get so much spam, what do I have to lose?

Change your email. Unless you enjoy bashing your head against a brick
wall.

R-Slicks

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:14:05 +1200, Who is this <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yes but unfortunately with IPv6 just around the corner there are
>suddenly millions of IP addresses that can be forged and used.

I very much doubt IPv6 will be with us any time soon. It first
conceived some 7-8 years ago (or something like that). Changing the
world to a new addressing scheme simply isn't going to happen for a
looong time.

--
DO NOT reply to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) - it is simply a spam catch.
You can, if you wish, try "news .at. preou .dot. com"

R-Slicks

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:37:54 +1200, Evil Bastard
<postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Sorry, but there is a steady revenue from spam.
>
>There are actually people who do buy things purely from spam.

Who on earth are these people !!
I don't know of anyone that has, or anyone that knows anyone that has.
WHO ARE THEY ?????!!!!
<mind boggles>

--
DO NOT reply to (E-Mail Removed) - it is simply a spam catch.
You can, if you wish, try "news .at. preou .dot. com"

Peter Murray

"R-Slicks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:37:54 +1200, Evil Bastard
> <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>

> >Sorry, but there is a steady revenue from spam.
> >
> >There are actually people who do buy things purely from spam.

> Who on earth are these people !!
> I don't know of anyone that has, or anyone that knows anyone that has.
> WHO ARE THEY ?????!!!!
> <mind boggles>

Could someone please tell the spammers who these people are, then they could
leave the rest of us alone.

--
Peter Murray
open i

Jay

T.N.O. wrote:

> "Jay" wrote
>> > The problem is, once the spammers have your email address - how do you
>> > fix the problem without changing your email?

>> You change you email. And next time you are more careful.

> I had heard that Aussies were thick, but for ****s sake, it is the line
> above your reply...
> "without changing your email?"

The best way to get rid of spam without changing your email address
is to change your email address.

What is the point of asking a question like:

"I am getting a lump on my head from banging my head against the wall.
How can I stop my lump from swelling without stopping from banging
my head against the wall?"

T.N.O.

"Jay" wrote
> The best way to get rid of spam without changing your email address
> is to change your email address.

riiiggghhttt...

> What is the point of asking a question like:
>
> "I am getting a lump on my head from banging my head against the wall.
> How can I stop my lump from swelling without stopping from banging
> my head against the wall?"

Take a knife, and slice through the lump... the swelling will not occur.

T.N.O.

"Jay" wrote
> I have also heard that NZers are incredibly racist and xenophobic.

Good for you.

> They are commonly heard saying things like "... I had heard that
> Aussies were thick ...".

you know I read it on the internet, so it must be true.

> The fact is that Aussies are smarter than NZers because:
> a) they have more money

Money does not equal intelligence, there are a hell of a lot of dumb arsed
rich people, world wide.

> b) they win at more things more often

That doesnt make them smarter either... just better at doing stuff.

> c) more people chose to live in Australia than NZ

more people choose to live in the USA than Australia, surely your not going
to say that they are smarter than you.

> d) Aussies don't live in NZ

Thats an immigration policy set by our govt.

> e) etc

uh huh

Bayesian RSS feed aggregator Mike HTML 0 11-17-2004 08:28 PM
Bayesian RSS feed aggregator mlavespere@hotmail.com XML 0 11-17-2004 08:18 PM
Re: Bayesian kids content filtering in Python? Ed Stoner Python 1 09-02-2003 09:46 PM
Re: Bayesian kids content filtering in Python? John J. Lee Python 2 08-30-2003 10:35 PM
Re: Bayesian kids content filtering in Python? Paul Paterson Python 0 08-29-2003 11:52 PM

Advertisments