Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > firewall trouble - Semi-rant

firewall trouble - Semi-rant

T.N.O

Grrr, mostly just a rant, but no matter what firewall I use, it seems to
eventually screw something up, and I lose DNS resolution for a good 10
mins...

Sofar the products used...

Zone Alarm Free: Fine for three days, then borked, disabling it meant that
net worked fine, but unprotected... not an option.

Panda(integrated into virus scan): This was fine for a while, until the
antivirus side of it kept asking me to register, but I didn't have the
"purchase key", because I downloaded the free version with no key attached.
They haven't answered the emails I sent to their support either in NZ or
whatever the **** country they are from.

Kerio: What is so great about that one? a heap of people here seem to use
it, and it seems ok ish, but gave the same problem as Zone Alarm Free.

Zone Alarm Pro: See Zone Alarm Free.

Outpost: See Zone Alarm Free.

I don't have a spare machine(yay more space) so cant put IPcop or Smoothwall
on anything.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Incidentally, If I do leave said firewalls enabled, it comes right after
about 10 mins or so. If I use no firewall, it all work fine all night.

Jason M

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:07:25 +1200, "T.N.O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Grrr, mostly just a rant, but no matter what firewall I use, it seems to
>eventually screw something up, and I lose DNS resolution for a good 10
>mins...

>Kerio: What is so great about that one? a heap of people here seem to use
>it, and it seems ok ish, but gave the same problem as Zone Alarm Free.

I'm using the Kerio firewall which I think is excellent and have no
problems except that occasionally when I click on a link in IE there
is a 20 second delay when nothing happens. I don't dare to turn the
firewall off when there's half a dozen people hitting my machine every
minute.

tim

I use Tiny Personal firewall. I highly recommend it. Be careful tho, I
believe there is a newer version of it now that isn't freeware like the
original and it is kind of bloatware. My version is 2.0

I have used this software for at least three years, i have tried many others
in that time but have always stuck to this program. It is minimal, stable,
gives good control over rule creation, and you can save your ruleset for
when u need to reinstall.

hope it helps...

dunno, some might disagree with using an older version of a program but then
again package management is non existant on windows so it's a bitch to keep
up to date with software...

"T.N.O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Grrr, mostly just a rant, but no matter what firewall I use, it seems to
> eventually screw something up, and I lose DNS resolution for a good 10
> mins...
>
> Sofar the products used...
>
> Zone Alarm Free: Fine for three days, then borked, disabling it meant

that
> net worked fine, but unprotected... not an option.
>
> Panda(integrated into virus scan): This was fine for a while, until the
> antivirus side of it kept asking me to register, but I didn't have the
> "purchase key", because I downloaded the free version with no key

attached.
> They haven't answered the emails I sent to their support either in NZ or
> whatever the **** country they are from.
>
> Kerio: What is so great about that one? a heap of people here seem to use
> it, and it seems ok ish, but gave the same problem as Zone Alarm Free.
>
> Zone Alarm Pro: See Zone Alarm Free.
>
> Outpost: See Zone Alarm Free.
>
> I don't have a spare machine(yay more space) so cant put IPcop or

Smoothwall
> on anything.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions?
>
> Incidentally, If I do leave said firewalls enabled, it comes right after
> about 10 mins or so. If I use no firewall, it all work fine all night.

Rupert

try sygate personal firewall - seems to do the trick for me - apart from
when i need to connect to my companies VPN
"T.N.O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Grrr, mostly just a rant, but no matter what firewall I use, it seems to
> eventually screw something up, and I lose DNS resolution for a good 10
> mins...
>
> Sofar the products used...
>
> Zone Alarm Free: Fine for three days, then borked, disabling it meant

that
> net worked fine, but unprotected... not an option.
>
> Panda(integrated into virus scan): This was fine for a while, until the
> antivirus side of it kept asking me to register, but I didn't have the
> "purchase key", because I downloaded the free version with no key

attached.
> They haven't answered the emails I sent to their support either in NZ or
> whatever the **** country they are from.
>
> Kerio: What is so great about that one? a heap of people here seem to use
> it, and it seems ok ish, but gave the same problem as Zone Alarm Free.
>
> Zone Alarm Pro: See Zone Alarm Free.
>
> Outpost: See Zone Alarm Free.
>
> I don't have a spare machine(yay more space) so cant put IPcop or

Smoothwall
> on anything.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions?
>
> Incidentally, If I do leave said firewalls enabled, it comes right after
> about 10 mins or so. If I use no firewall, it all work fine all night.

colinco

In article <oFI2b.127724$(E-Mail Removed)>, "tim" <tim<no-
spam>@tjv.info> says...
> I use Tiny Personal firewall. I highly recommend it. Be careful tho, I
> believe there is a newer version of it now that isn't freeware like the
> original and it is kind of bloatware. My version is 2.0

Your version progressed to become Kerio. The Tiny "suits" had a new
software team to do Tiny 3

Rob King

> Kerio: What is so great about that one? a heap of people here seem to use
> it, and it seems ok ish, but gave the same problem as Zone Alarm Free.

<rant>
KERIO is the name of the COMPANY. They used to be called Tiny Software.
Now they are KERIO. Repeat after me K-E-R-I-O.
</rant>

Their Firewall software is one of three options:
Winroute Firewall
Winroute Pro
Winroute Lite
Winroute Personal Firewall

I have used the first three and they have all been excellent products. If
you are using the Personal Firewall, perhaps you might like to try Winroute
Lite?

colinco

In article <3f4bd156$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Their Firewall software is one of three options:
> Winroute Firewall
> Winroute Pro
> Winroute Lite
> Winroute Personal Firewall

If you're going to be dropping into Pedant mode - Kerio the company
don't use "Winroute" in the description of their Personal Firewall.

"Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) is a software agent that builds a barrier
between your personal computer and the Internet. KPF is designed to
protect your PC against attacks from both the Internet, and other
computers in the local network."

Rob King

"colinco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <3f4bd156$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Their Firewall software is one of three options:
> > Winroute Firewall
> > Winroute Pro
> > Winroute Lite
> > Winroute Personal Firewall
> >

> If you're going to be dropping into Pedant mode - Kerio the company
> don't use "Winroute" in the description of their Personal Firewall.
>
> "Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) is a software agent that builds a barrier
> between your personal computer and the Internet. KPF is designed to
> protect your PC against attacks from both the Internet, and other
> computers in the local network."

Yip, fair point.

Enkidu

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:07:25 +1200, "T.N.O" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Grrr, mostly just a rant, but no matter what firewall I use, it seems to
>eventually screw something up, and I lose DNS resolution for a good 10
>mins...
>
>Sofar the products used...
>
>Zone Alarm Free: Fine for three days, then borked, disabling it meant that
>net worked fine, but unprotected... not an option.
>
>Panda(integrated into virus scan): This was fine for a while, until the
>antivirus side of it kept asking me to register, but I didn't have the
>"purchase key", because I downloaded the free version with no key attached.
>They haven't answered the emails I sent to their support either in NZ or
>whatever the **** country they are from.
>
>Kerio: What is so great about that one? a heap of people here seem to use
>it, and it seems ok ish, but gave the same problem as Zone Alarm Free.
>
>Zone Alarm Pro: See Zone Alarm Free.
>
>Outpost: See Zone Alarm Free.
>
>I don't have a spare machine(yay more space) so cant put IPcop or Smoothwall
>on anything.
>
>Anyone got any suggestions?
>
>Incidentally, If I do leave said firewalls enabled, it comes right after
>about 10 mins or so. If I use no firewall, it all work fine all night.

Sygate Personal Firewall.

Cheers,

Cliff

T.N.O

"Kristofer Clayton" wrote

Not my experience, **** happens.

> What OS you having the problem on?
> I'm running XP Professional.

Same, all updates, SP's etc.
Running naked at the moment, and no hassles with DNS, so I assume it must be
something to do with firewall software interaction with the OS.