Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Xtra ADSL

Xtra ADSL

Baldman

Howdy all,

I'm looking at taking my ADSL (Jetstart) over to Xtra - for too long
I've put up with flakey connections with other ISPs.. old adage, you
get what you pay for...

So, my only question is, are there any reasons of a TECHNICAL nature,
why I should not consider Xtra?

Yes I know all you tellyscum haters, they're big and full of money,
don't care about the customer and are run by an ugly chick, but I'm
not asking for those thoughts.

TIA

T.N.O

"Baldman" wrote
> So, my only question is, are there any reasons of a TECHNICAL nature,
> why I should not consider Xtra?

not that I can think of.

Also, your clocks off by 12 hrs

Robert Kramer

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 03:57:18 +1200, Baldman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Howdy all,
>
>I'm looking at taking my ADSL (Jetstart) over to Xtra - for too long
>I've put up with flakey connections with other ISPs.. old adage, you
>get what you pay for...
>
>So, my only question is, are there any reasons of a TECHNICAL nature,
>why I should not consider Xtra?
>
>Yes I know all you tellyscum haters, they're big and full of money,
>don't care about the customer and are run by an ugly chick, but I'm
>not asking for those thoughts.
>
>TIA

Yes dnload limit..

Chris Mayhew

"Ali P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:shB2b.13910$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Baldman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Howdy all,
>>
>> I'm looking at taking my ADSL (Jetstart) over to Xtra - for too long
>> I've put up with flakey connections with other ISPs.. old adage, you
>> get what you pay for...
>>
>> So, my only question is, are there any reasons of a TECHNICAL nature,
>> why I should not consider Xtra?
>>
>> Yes I know all you tellyscum haters, they're big and full of money,
>> don't care about the customer and are run by an ugly chick, but I'm
>> not asking for those thoughts.
>>

> Don't expect it to magically fix your connection probs. I experienced
> micro-outages and slower than expected speeds occasionally with Xtra.
> That was part of the reason I switched to Paradise but I experience
> the same thing with them. I presume its a problem with the DSL service
> in general and not the ISP supplying the data down the pipe.
> When I was with Xtra the software that limits your bandwidth tended to
> fall over now and then giving me full speed on my Jetstart plan. That
> doesn't seem to happen with Paradise (I wish it did though).
> Xtra give you 5 gigs per month on Jetstart, Paradise and other ISPs
> give you 10 gigs. Also, I've heard that Xtra use data shaping to slow
> your P2P apps to a crawl. I'm not sure how true that is. I do know
> that Paradise don't do this.

Have you considered Orcon ?

--
Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

Evil Bastard

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 03:57:18 +1200, Baldman wrote:

> So, my only question is, are there any reasons of a TECHNICAL nature,
> why I should not consider Xtra?

I recommend *AGAINST* Xtra. Reasons:

1) Their 'anti-servers' rule, which is especially problematic because they
won't define exactly what they mean by 'server'

2) Intellectual property issue - as a condition of use, they gain a
perpetual license to everything that passes through your network,
including your private emails, and have the right to send this information
to any one at any time and for any reason.

For instance, imagine reading the Sunday Star Times, and seeing your most
intimate emails of 6 years ago.

3) Lousy traffic quota - 5GB/month compared to 10GB/month with many other
ISPs

4) Mail server performance is often substandard. When I was with them,
there were times when it would take 1 minute or more to retrieve each
(small) message over POP connection. At the time, their help desk had a
policy of denial and playing dumb.

There are plenty of good ADSL providers that match or exceed Xtra's
performance technically, and deliver more for less.

EB

Baldman

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 05:53:40 GMT, Chris Mayhew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Ali P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:shB2b.13910$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> "Baldman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Howdy all,
>>>
>>> I'm looking at taking my ADSL (Jetstart) over to Xtra - for too long
>>> I've put up with flakey connections with other ISPs.. old adage, you
>>> get what you pay for...
>>>
>>> So, my only question is, are there any reasons of a TECHNICAL nature,
>>> why I should not consider Xtra?
>>>
>>> Yes I know all you tellyscum haters, they're big and full of money,
>>> don't care about the customer and are run by an ugly chick, but I'm
>>> not asking for those thoughts.
>>>

>> Don't expect it to magically fix your connection probs. I experienced
>> micro-outages and slower than expected speeds occasionally with Xtra.
>> That was part of the reason I switched to Paradise but I experience
>> the same thing with them. I presume its a problem with the DSL service
>> in general and not the ISP supplying the data down the pipe.
>> When I was with Xtra the software that limits your bandwidth tended to
>> fall over now and then giving me full speed on my Jetstart plan. That
>> doesn't seem to happen with Paradise (I wish it did though).
>> Xtra give you 5 gigs per month on Jetstart, Paradise and other ISPs
>> give you 10 gigs. Also, I've heard that Xtra use data shaping to slow
>> your P2P apps to a crawl. I'm not sure how true that is. I do know
>> that Paradise don't do this.
>>

>Have you considered Orcon ?

I did try Orcon some time back... to be fair, it was probably close to
12 months ago. I found at the time that they were in serious need of
some more bandwidth... this may have changed now of course, being so
far down the track... so I'll pop over and pay them a visit... thanks
for the suggestion

PaulW

Chris Mayhew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Ali P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:shB2b.13910$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> "Baldman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Howdy all,
>>>
>>> I'm looking at taking my ADSL (Jetstart) over to Xtra - for too long
>>> I've put up with flakey connections with other ISPs.. old adage, you
>>> get what you pay for...
>>>
>>> So, my only question is, are there any reasons of a TECHNICAL nature,
>>> why I should not consider Xtra?
>>>
>>> Yes I know all you tellyscum haters, they're big and full of money,
>>> don't care about the customer and are run by an ugly chick, but I'm
>>> not asking for those thoughts.
>>>

>> Don't expect it to magically fix your connection probs. I experienced
>> micro-outages and slower than expected speeds occasionally with Xtra.
>> That was part of the reason I switched to Paradise but I experience
>> the same thing with them. I presume its a problem with the DSL service
>> in general and not the ISP supplying the data down the pipe.
>> When I was with Xtra the software that limits your bandwidth tended to
>> fall over now and then giving me full speed on my Jetstart plan. That
>> doesn't seem to happen with Paradise (I wish it did though).
>> Xtra give you 5 gigs per month on Jetstart, Paradise and other ISPs
>> give you 10 gigs. Also, I've heard that Xtra use data shaping to slow
>> your P2P apps to a crawl. I'm not sure how true that is. I do know
>> that Paradise don't do this.
>>

>Have you considered Orcon ?

I switched from Xtra to Orcon about a years ago. Never regretted it..

Callum

wrote:

>Howdy all,
>
>I'm looking at taking my ADSL (Jetstart) over to Xtra - for too long
>I've put up with flakey connections with other ISPs.. old adage, you
>get what you pay for...
>
>So, my only question is, are there any reasons of a TECHNICAL nature,
>why I should not consider Xtra?
>
>Yes I know all you tellyscum haters, they're big and full of money,
>don't care about the customer and are run by an ugly chick, but I'm
>not asking for those thoughts.
>
>TIA

Never had any probs with speed average 15k on most downloads also good
game pings they just need to make it cheaper for the average joe.

Gavin Tunney

wrote:

>Howdy all,
>
>I'm looking at taking my ADSL (Jetstart) over to Xtra - for too long
>I've put up with flakey connections with other ISPs.. old adage, you
>get what you pay for...
>
>So, my only question is, are there any reasons of a TECHNICAL nature,
>why I should not consider Xtra?
>
>Yes I know all you tellyscum haters, they're big and full of money,
>don't care about the customer and are run by an ugly chick, but I'm
>not asking for those thoughts.

I've been with Xtra for about 7 years & come to know them reasonably
well. From a technical perspective I can't see many reasons to
recommend them, for the largest ISP in a small country their network
performance is pretty pathetic really. You frequently get DNS errors,
routing problems, slow web browsing & noticeable lags when clicking on
links. Some evenings, in times of high internet usage, you may as well
use a 9600 baud modem Their email service is lamentable, with
frequent server timeouts and very poor upload speeds when sending
mail.

On the good side their virus scanning service is beneficial. On the
bad side they never admit to faults or problems & their poor
bedraggled helldesk workers are programmed to never put you through to
someone in authority whose arse you can kick when things are at their
worst. Their coalface types are all good from my experience, Xtra
problems are higher up in the ladder....beancounter level no doubt.

All in all I can't say they're a particularly good ISP, but sad to say
they're probably much on a par with all the others out there from what
I've seen of the rest. I'm too lazy to change & don't have any more
confidence in the rest so prefer to keep using them. I also find it
useful from a technical perspective to use Xtra just so I can observe
how they run & what standards they set.

Gavin

T.N.O

"Gavin Tunney" wrote
> On the good side their virus scanning service is beneficial. On the
> bad side they never admit to faults or problems & their poor
> bedraggled helldesk workers are programmed to never put you through to
> someone in authority whose arse you can kick when things are at their
> worst.

If after hours, try 0800 teletech, this is the number for the contractor for
the helpdesk, from memory, the Xtra Team Leader Station answer it after 5