Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > .geek.nz is available. And I got mine :)

.geek.nz is available. And I got mine :)

art

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 04:55:34 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Matthew Poole)
wrote:

>In article <61z2b.13866$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Forgot to mention in the previous post... Whats the costs involved?
>>

>*SNIP*
>
>The same exorbitant scam as any other .nz domain.
>Personally, I'm not going to buy a .nz domain when I can get a
>[com|net|org] for half the price. Particularly when less than 1/4 of
>the money actually goes to the registrar - Domainz scams the rest.

Domainz no longer collect it, it is now Internet NZ. Yes I agree that
the amount they collect ($24) of the average fee (about $45) is too
high. They say this amount may go down, but really who would want to
be a NZ registrar, especially as some are registering domains for as
low as $28 !!!

Bruce Simpson

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:23:45 +1200, art <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 04:55:34 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Matthew Poole)
>wrote:
>
>>In article <61z2b.13866$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>Forgot to mention in the previous post... Whats the costs involved?
>>>

>>*SNIP*
>>
>>The same exorbitant scam as any other .nz domain.
>>Personally, I'm not going to buy a .nz domain when I can get a
>>[com|net|org] for half the price. Particularly when less than 1/4 of
>>the money actually goes to the registrar - Domainz scams the rest.

>Domainz no longer collect it, it is now Internet NZ. Yes I agree that
>the amount they collect ($24) of the average fee (about $45) is too
>high. They say this amount may go down, but really who would want to
>be a NZ registrar, especially as some are registering domains for as
>low as $28 !!!

And some places will provide you with a .com registration plus hosting
with a year's worth of unlimited traffic and 100MB or more of storage,
long with the usual compliment of mutliple email addresses,
autoresponders, etc, etc, bla bla -- all for about US$70.

Of course I still suggest that if you're a business you look more
closely at the benefits that are to be gained by local hosting.

DPF

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 03:01:33 GMT, richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Andrew wrote:
>
>> Are they website domains, or Email domains?

>You worry me. A domain is a domain.

They are indeed. Many years ago though one could IIRC just get an mx
record delegated, not the full record.

DPF
--
Blog: http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz
E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)

DPF

wrote:

>In article <61z2b.13866$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Forgot to mention in the previous post... Whats the costs involved?
>>

>*SNIP*
>
>The same exorbitant scam as any other .nz domain.
>Personally, I'm not going to buy a .nz domain when I can get a
>[com|net|org] for half the price. Particularly when less than 1/4 of
>the money actually goes to the registrar - Domainz scams the rest.

Domainz is merely one of 40 Registrars. The wholesale fee for .nz is
around US12 which is more than .com which is US$6 but they have 30
million names and .nz has 130,000 so there are scales of economies.

For TLDs of around the same size (less than 200,000 names) the .nz fee
is in the lowest quartile.

DPF
--
Blog: http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz
E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)

DPF

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:16:13 +1200, art <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:22:36 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Yep, just registered my .geek.nz domain.
>>
>>Now have to wait for pda.geek.nz to replicate to other DNS servers.
>>
>>Proud of being a NZ geek

>Internet NZ have registerd the one I wanted.

Which one? I'm not sure INZ have registered any.

DPF
--
Blog: http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz
E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)

art

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:13:38 +1200, DPF <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:16:13 +1200, art <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:22:36 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Yep, just registered my .geek.nz domain.
>>>
>>>Now have to wait for pda.geek.nz to replicate to other DNS servers.
>>>
>>>Proud of being a NZ geek

>>Internet NZ have registerd the one I wanted.

>Which one? I'm not sure INZ have registered any.
>
>DPF

www.geek.nz

It was registered 4 days ago, so they got in before it was released to
the public.

query_datetime: 2003-08-26T21:32:28+12:00
domain_name: www.geek.nz
query_status: 200 Active
domain_dateregistered: 2003-08-22T16:04:34+12:00
domain_datebilleduntil: 2003-09-22T16:04:34+12:00
domain_datelastmodified: 2003-08-26T11:26:58+12:00
domain_delegaterequested: yes
%
registrar_name: Domain Name Commissioner
registrar_address1: PO Box 11881
registrar_city: Wellington
registrar_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
registrar_phone: +64 4 472-1600
registrar_fax: +64 4 495-2115
registrar_email: (E-Mail Removed)
%
registrant_contact_name: Dean Pemberton
registrant_contact_address1: 30 Momona Street
registrant_contact_address2: Wainuiomata
registrant_contact_city: Wellington
registrant_contact_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
registrant_contact_phone: +64 21 633 434
registrant_contact_fax: +64 4 474 3140
registrant_contact_email: (E-Mail Removed)
%
admin_contact_name: Dean Pemberton
admin_contact_address1: 30 Momona Street
admin_contact_address2: Wainuiomata
admin_contact_city: Wellington
admin_contact_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
admin_contact_phone: +64 21 633 434
admin_contact_fax: +64 4 474 3140
admin_contact_email: (E-Mail Removed)
%
technical_contact_name: Technical Manager
technical_contact_address1: InternetNZ
technical_contact_address2: PO Box 11881
technical_contact_city: Wellington
technical_contact_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
technical_contact_phone: +64 4 495-1600
technical_contact_fax: +64 4 495-2115
technical_contact_email: (E-Mail Removed)
%
ns_name_01: ns1.katipo.co.nz
ns_name_02: ns2.katipo.co.nz

lin@darkmere.gen.nz.invalid

art <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> be a NZ registrar, especially as some are registering domains for as
> low as $28 !!!

The lowest I've seen is NZ$25 for the first year.
Not tried the registrar yet though

lin

lin@darkmere.gen.nz.invalid

art <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> www.geek.nz

> It was registered 4 days ago, so they got in before it was released to
> the public.

You have the wrong end of the stick there

www.geek.nz went to Dean Pemberton.
He is one of a group that worked through the .geek.nz proposal and
through the entire process had the patience to follow the motions.
In case you didn't realise, the whole thing took almost a year to
get here.

Anyway Dean also paid most of the fee (there were donations form
others but I doubt it covered the whole fee).
So for that one domain he's paid a lot for it.

As part of the process he was allowed to apply to reserve a domain
or two (as was .maori.nz). He did "www" for a reason and it wasn't
for himself.

Actually he is using it to further the causes of geeks in NZ and work
is now being done to put up a website for all to use at www.geek.nz
One or two people are working on it and it will be online soon.
I'll come back and post when it is.

So no the domain wasn't registered by internet nz and though I think
Dean should have reserved one for himself, he didn't and only got
the "www" for all.

Lin

Mainlander

In article <biesol$ghu$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> In article <61z2b.13866$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Forgot to mention in the previous post... Whats the costs involved?
> >

> *SNIP*
>
> The same exorbitant scam as any other .nz domain.
> Personally, I'm not going to buy a .nz domain when I can get a
> [com|net|org] for half the price. Particularly when less than 1/4 of
> the money actually goes to the registrar - Domainz scams the rest.

I pay $3 a month for my domain. What's your problem?

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)ess says...
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:23:45 +1200, art <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 04:55:34 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Matthew Poole)
> >wrote:

> >>*SNIP*
> >>
> >>The same exorbitant scam as any other .nz domain.
> >>Personally, I'm not going to buy a .nz domain when I can get a
> >>[com|net|org] for half the price. Particularly when less than 1/4 of
> >>the money actually goes to the registrar - Domainz scams the rest.

> >Domainz no longer collect it, it is now Internet NZ. Yes I agree that
> >the amount they collect ($24) of the average fee (about $45) is too
> >high. They say this amount may go down, but really who would want to
> >be a NZ registrar, especially as some are registering domains for as
> >low as $28 !!!

> And some places will provide you with a .com registration plus hosting
> with a year's worth of unlimited traffic and 100MB or more of storage,
> long with the usual compliment of mutliple email addresses,
> autoresponders, etc, etc, bla bla -- all for about US$70.
>
> Of course I still suggest that if you're a business you look more
> closely at the benefits that are to be gained by local hosting.

Which are?