Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > reformatting, drivers?

reformatting, drivers?

Joy

Just a quick question for anyone who has done this before.

I've avoided reformatting for years but the inevitable has happened. It's
running 98se and is so full of junk it needs a fix.
I've been quoted $80 at the shop for the work but would like to try myself.
The drivers are where? Do they need to be put onto disc and kept handy?
I've a Win98se upgrade disc and Win 95. I suspect that if I use the former,
I will be asked to produce the latter?

Any problems you can foresee? Should I just pay the dough?
Joy

Paul

Umm depends what the drivers
are Joy. And whats in your system.

Did you buy the computer as a system?

If so, the drivers would be on the CD/s.

Have you got the 98 SE CD itself?
And is it the full or upgrade version
of 98 SE?

Nah I wouldnt waste $80. Formatting
is easy enough. Once you format
the hard drive, and reinstall Win98.

Umm do you think you can get back onto
the net once you reinstall Windows?

98 may or may not install the modem
driver. You have to find out what the
brand of modem, you have. Which will
make it easier to find a driver for it.

I would if you can, find out the brand
of modem before you format. And
save the drivers onto a disk/floppy.

In order to reformat, chuck in the 98
CD, you have to go into the BIOS
(pressing DEL key or F1 should do it)

It should tell you what key when u bootup
(usually tells u at the screen, when u boot
the PC). Which key. Find BOOT in the
BIOS and change it to CD. Then save
the config in BIOS. If that 98 CD
is bootable, press a key should appear
on the screen, and the CD will install
98. After a while, it may ask u to put
a previous v of windows in (put the 95
disk or CD in), then it should continue
installing Win98 SE. Once it has finished
installing 98, Go back into the BIOS
and change the BOOT back to C:

So, it'll run Windows from the hard
drive. If you can manage to get the
driver, for the modem, you can
go to the Windowsupdate site,
and it should be able to pick up other
drivers, that your PC needs.

Most Windows versions pick up
what in your system, but this
doesnt always work with modems.

"Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f49c3ff$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just a quick question for anyone who has done this before.
>
> I've avoided reformatting for years but the inevitable has happened. It's
> running 98se and is so full of junk it needs a fix.
> I've been quoted $80 at the shop for the work but would like to try

myself.
> The drivers are where? Do they need to be put onto disc and kept handy?
> I've a Win98se upgrade disc and Win 95. I suspect that if I use the

former,
> I will be asked to produce the latter?
>
> Any problems you can foresee? Should I just pay the dough?
> Joy

Stuart

news:bickf3$thj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Most Windows versions pick up
> what in your system, but this
> doesnt always work with modems.

I hate it when it asks you for the driver for a "PCI Communication Device",
especially when you're dealing with somebody else's computer.

Definitely definitely definitely find out your modem make, and download the
driver for it. If you've got that you can download any other drivers you
find you need from the net.

Stuart

---

Gordon

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:07:31 +1200, Joy wrote:

> Just a quick question for anyone who has done this before.
>
> I've avoided reformatting for years but the inevitable has happened. It's
> running 98se and is so full of junk it needs a fix.

http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm

WinDriversBackup Personal Edition is a free utility for personal,
non-commercial use, provided by JerMar Software Corp. specifically
for backing up your Windows system driver files.

WinDriversBackup can identify all of your Windows driver files and
save them to a secure location in two simple mouse clicks.

Backing up your Windows driver files means they will be available
to you the next time you need to reinstall the driver or the whole
operating system. WinDriversBackup places the driver files in one
organized location of your choosing.

Unquote

Its also on the cover disk of the August 2003 edition of APC.

--
Gordon

Google knows where to find things, ask at http://www.google.com
Works for me, will work for you, so be it.

Joy

news:bickf3$thj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Umm depends what the drivers
> are Joy. And whats in your system.
>
> Did you buy the computer as a system?
>
> If so, the drivers would be on the CD/s.
>
> Have you got the 98 SE CD itself?
> And is it the full or upgrade version
> of 98 SE?
>
> Nah I wouldnt waste $80. Formatting
> is easy enough. Once you format
> the hard drive, and reinstall Win98.
>
> Umm do you think you can get back onto
> the net once you reinstall Windows?
>
> 98 may or may not install the modem
> driver. You have to find out what the
> brand of modem, you have. Which will
> make it easier to find a driver for it.
>
> I would if you can, find out the brand
> of modem before you format. And
> save the drivers onto a disk/floppy.
>
> In order to reformat, chuck in the 98
> CD, you have to go into the BIOS
> (pressing DEL key or F1 should do it)
>
> It should tell you what key when u bootup
> (usually tells u at the screen, when u boot
> the PC). Which key. Find BOOT in the
> BIOS and change it to CD. Then save
> the config in BIOS. If that 98 CD
> is bootable, press a key should appear
> on the screen, and the CD will install
> 98. After a while, it may ask u to put
> a previous v of windows in (put the 95
> disk or CD in), then it should continue
> installing Win98 SE. Once it has finished
> installing 98, Go back into the BIOS
> and change the BOOT back to C:
>
> So, it'll run Windows from the hard
> drive. If you can manage to get the
> driver, for the modem, you can
> go to the Windowsupdate site,
> and it should be able to pick up other
> drivers, that your PC needs.
>
> Most Windows versions pick up
> what in your system, but this
> doesnt always work with modems.
>

> "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:3f49c3ff$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just a quick question for anyone who has done this before.
> >
> > I've avoided reformatting for years but the inevitable has happened.

It's
> > running 98se and is so full of junk it needs a fix.
> > I've been quoted $80 at the shop for the work but would like to try

> myself.
> > The drivers are where? Do they need to be put onto disc and kept handy?
> > I've a Win98se upgrade disc and Win 95. I suspect that if I use the

> former,
> > I will be asked to produce the latter?
> >
> > Any problems you can foresee? Should I just pay the dough?
> > Joy

Thanks for that. I guess until you try you don't know. I'd prefer to see
it done before I had to do it but thats not possible. I've other boxes so a
complete ballsup will not hurt anything except my pride since it would point
out my complete incompetence.
Joy

Rob

"Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f4ad888$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thanks for that. I guess until you try you don't know. I'd prefer to see
> it done before I had to do it but thats not possible. I've other boxes so

> complete ballsup will not hurt anything except my pride since it would

point
> out my complete incompetence.
> Joy

Hey, don't worry about messing up or feeling incometent. We've all blown
os's or file systems or somesuch at some stage early in our road to geekdom
(and sometimes not so early as well {blush})

Rob

cowboyz

if you goto http://www.jermar.com/
and get a program called windrivers backup you can save all your current
drivers with a single click. This will then give you all your current
drivers but it is probably a good opportunity to search the net for updated
ones anyway

--
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

officehelp

"Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f49c3ff$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just a quick question for anyone who has done this before.
>
> I've avoided reformatting for years but the inevitable has happened. It's
> running 98se and is so full of junk it needs a fix.
> I've been quoted $80 at the shop for the work but would like to try

myself.
> The drivers are where? Do they need to be put onto disc and kept handy?
> I've a Win98se upgrade disc and Win 95. I suspect that if I use the

former,
> I will be asked to produce the latter?
>
> Any problems you can foresee? Should I just pay the dough?
> Joy

The August issue or either Australian PC User or Personal Computer...(APC
and PCU, Ask the newsagent)
has a program which you run on your PC before you zap it and it finds all
the drivers you use and puts them in a folder. You can then copy that folder
somewhere and when your new install asks for a driver, point it to the
folder.
I have only read about it, not used it so if anyone else in the group has
actually used it, perhaps they could comment.

Cheers

Nicholas Sherlock

officehelp wrote:
> "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f49c3ff$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Just a quick question for anyone who has done this before.
>>
>> I've avoided reformatting for years but the inevitable has happened.
>> It's running 98se and is so full of junk it needs a fix.
>> I've been quoted $80 at the shop for the work but would like to try
>> myself. The drivers are where? Do they need to be put onto disc and
>> kept handy? I've a Win98se upgrade disc and Win 95. I suspect that
>> if I use the former, I will be asked to produce the latter?
>>
>> Any problems you can foresee? Should I just pay the dough?
>> Joy
>>

> The August issue or either Australian PC User or Personal
> Computer...(APC and PCU, Ask the newsagent)
> has a program which you run on your PC before you zap it and it finds
> all the drivers you use and puts them in a folder. You can then copy
> that folder somewhere and when your new install asks for a driver,
> point it to the folder.
> I have only read about it, not used it so if anyone else in the group
> has actually used it, perhaps they could comment.

It is an *excellent* tool. Will save me hours of work.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock