Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dell Laptops

Dell Laptops

EAgle

Hi Guys,
I'm thinking of purchasing a new Laptop just for some University work. I was
looking around and I found that Dell Laptops (bought from their online
store) is a lot cheaper for the specs than any other model available
anywhere. Is there a reason why they are cheaper? I know they don't look
that flash and they are a bit bulky, does anyone know of any other problem
with Dell Laptops that I should know about before Purchasing one?

Thanks,

Sonn

"EAgle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bia1q7$7as$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Guys,
> I'm thinking of purchasing a new Laptop just for some University work. I

was
> looking around and I found that Dell Laptops (bought from their online
> store) is a lot cheaper for the specs than any other model available
> anywhere. Is there a reason why they are cheaper? I know they don't look
> that flash and they are a bit bulky, does anyone know of any other problem
> with Dell Laptops that I should know about before Purchasing one?
>
> Thanks,

I have a Dell Latitude, great service (0800 through to Aussie), and they
seem to be able to advise on any accessories / parts no problem.
S.

---

Rupert

0800 through to India and Singapore in fact - still great service

"Sonn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "EAgle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bia1q7$7as$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Guys,
> > I'm thinking of purchasing a new Laptop just for some University work. I

> was
> > looking around and I found that Dell Laptops (bought from their online
> > store) is a lot cheaper for the specs than any other model available
> > anywhere. Is there a reason why they are cheaper? I know they don't look
> > that flash and they are a bit bulky, does anyone know of any other

problem
> > with Dell Laptops that I should know about before Purchasing one?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> I have a Dell Latitude, great service (0800 through to Aussie), and they
> seem to be able to advise on any accessories / parts no problem.
> S.
>

> ---

EAgle

Thanks for that. I'll be dual booting XP and Linux but i guess its a small
price to pay when I consider the difference in price
"Uncle StoatWarbler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:51:00 +1200, EAgle wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> > I'm thinking of purchasing a new Laptop just for some University work. I

was
> > looking around and I found that Dell Laptops (bought from their online
> > store) is a lot cheaper for the specs than any other model available
> > anywhere. Is there a reason why they are cheaper? I know they don't look
> > that flash and they are a bit bulky, does anyone know of any other

problem
> > with Dell Laptops that I should know about before Purchasing one?

> If you plan to install Linux, avoid Dell. They will refuse to support you
> until you reinstall windows. (even if it's a dual boot setup)

techie

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 00:19:07 +0000, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:51:00 +1200, EAgle wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>> I'm thinking of purchasing a new Laptop just for some University work. I was
>> looking around and I found that Dell Laptops (bought from their online
>> store) is a lot cheaper for the specs than any other model available
>> anywhere. Is there a reason why they are cheaper? I know they don't look
>> that flash and they are a bit bulky, does anyone know of any other problem
>> with Dell Laptops that I should know about before Purchasing one?

>If you plan to install Linux, avoid Dell. They will refuse to support you
>until you reinstall windows. (even if it's a dual boot setup)

So whoever uses support anyway? Besides, some of the Dells use
hard-drive carriers that are easy to swap out without opening up the
system. So buy an extra carrier, pull their HD, order a 40- or 60-gig
replacement, and do what you want. If you have problems, put the
original HD back.

FWIW I've been using an old Dell Latitude CPxH that I bought used
several years ago. It runs Slackware, Debian, and FreeBSD just fine
despite the relatively slow CPU. The motherboard blew up recently (my
fault, spilled a drink into the keyboard) but I'm so happy with the
machine I'm going to replace the motherboard rather than get a more
modern laptop.

techie

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 00:18:21 +0000, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:55:18 -0500, techie wrote:
>
>> FWIW I've been using an old Dell Latitude CPxH that I bought used
>> several years ago. It runs Slackware, Debian, and FreeBSD just fine
>> despite the relatively slow CPU. The motherboard blew up recently (my
>> fault, spilled a drink into the keyboard) but I'm so happy with the
>> machine I'm going to replace the motherboard rather than get a more
>> modern laptop.

>Take it apart, clean board with warm soapy water, dry, reassmble, carry on.

The first thing I did was to clean the board thoroughly with
circuit-board cleaner. It didn't help. I think the damage was probably
done by having the liquid short out something with the unit powered
up. I could probably have it fixed but flat-rate repair prices are
running about the same as a used motherboard. I may even buy a used
Latitude and keep this one for the spare parts.

I must say, this is the easist laptop I've ever taken apart. Most
laptops nowadays use snap-together plastic latches that need special
tools or fixtures to get inside, or they hide a few screws under a
"warranty void if removed" label. On the Latitude all I had to do was
remove some well-marked screws on the bottom and a few on the back,
and it opened right up. It only took two more screws to get the
motherboard out of the clamshell.

techie

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 01:52:36 +0000, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:47:03 -0500, techie wrote:
>
>>>Take it apart, clean board with warm soapy water, dry, reassmble, carry on.

>> The first thing I did was to clean the board thoroughly with
>> circuit-board cleaner. It didn't help.

>What'd you spill? I rebuilt a lattitude last year after a friend's kids
>spilt ice tea into it while switched on.

A glass of soy-milk. Must be very conductive stuff. The computer shut
down by itself while I was reaching for the power switch and hasn't
powered up since.

>It didn't want to go at all until cleaned. The hard drive needed cleaning
>too - the board had to be detatched, cleaned and reassembled. You need a
>t4 driver to do that.
>
>The other comments are noted. It was one of the easiest laptops to pull
>apart I've ever seen. Pity it feels flimsy in use.

My CPxH is built like a tank. It's certainly better build than this HP
notebook I borrowed from my folks. The keys are too clacky, too. I
really miss the solid feel of the Dell keyboard.

Sad what's happened to HP. There was a time when I'd have bought
anything they made sight-unseen, and been happy to pay a premium price
for it. Now I wouldn't touch their junk.

>And as for Dell support, they lost 40 sales/year at $orkplace after
>claiming to support linux, then telling one of the users to remove Linux
>if he wanted support after he called with problems revolving around a
>winmodem installed in the thing.

That may have something to do with this:

Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux'

'Earlier memos described that it was "untenable" that a key
Microsoft partner was promoting Linux. Kuney revealed
that Dell disbanded its Linux business unit in early 2001.
Dell quietly pulled Linux from its desktop PCs in the
summer of 2001, IDG's Ashlee Vance discovered
subsequently, six months after we heard Michael Dell
declare his love of Linux on the desktop the previous
winter. '

Uncle StoatWarbler

--
There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
1: opt-in with archived, provable confirmation.

techie

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:52:08 +0000, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A company which outright lies to get sales is best avoided. That's cheaper
>than taking legal action to get what you paid for in the first place.

In a moral sense and as a consumer I despise Dell's abandonment of
their Linux customers, but in a business sense I can see that they
likely had a gun to their head. IMO the blame goes to Microsoft for
its predatory business tactics.

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:51:28 -0500, techie wrote:

>>A company which outright lies to get sales is best avoided. That's
>>cheaper than taking legal action to get what you paid for in the first
>>place.
>>

> In a moral sense and as a consumer I despise Dell's abandonment of their
> Linux customers

Aye, but there's the rub.

Dell are STILL claiming to support Linux... until you try and actually get it

--
There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
2: Fraud

cisco vpn client & dell lattitude laptops simon watson Cisco 3 11-15-2005 10:15 PM
Dell Laptops John Computer Security 3 09-30-2005 02:32 AM
Re: Dell Laptops rfdjr1@optonline.net Computer Support 10 09-03-2005 03:32 PM
Laptops,laptops Mark Computer Support 1 09-20-2004 05:10 AM
IBM vs. Dell laptops Computer Information 1 02-10-2004 07:19 AM

Advertisments