Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > A question about installing Linux.

A question about installing Linux.

Anthony Neville

Does the /boot directory and its contents still have to exist within the first 1024 blocks?

Cheers,
Tony.

Peter

this quote is from Anthony Neville of Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:48 :

> Does the /boot directory and its contents still have to exist within the
> first 1024 blocks?

It's 1024 cylinders that makes the limit, and AFAIK relates to some old BIOS
versions that couldn't work beyond that.
Apparently modern distros and modern motherboards don't have this problem.

It might be worth you doing a google search on your exact motherboard on
this topic to check it out.

HTH

Peter

Anthony Neville

"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> this quote is from Anthony Neville of Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:48 :
>
> > Does the /boot directory and its contents still have to exist within the
> > first 1024 blocks?

> It's 1024 cylinders that makes the limit, and AFAIK relates to some old BIOS
> versions that couldn't work beyond that.
> Apparently modern distros and modern motherboards don't have this problem.
>
> It might be worth you doing a google search on your exact motherboard on
> this topic to check it out.

The motherboard is ~very~ recent. Ah,well; that is good news. Thanks, Peter.

Tony.

William Lyon McKenzie

Anthony Neville allegedly said:

> Does the /boot directory and its contents still have to exist within the
> first 1024 blocks?
>
> Cheers,
> Tony.

Yes....nothing to do with Linux....It's a BIOS restriction.

Enkidu

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:24:36 +1200, Lennier
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:48:42 +1200, Anthony Neville wrote:
>
>> Does the /boot directory and its contents still have to exist within the
>> first 1024 blocks?

>Yes.
>
>That is a BIOS limitation in accessing the HDD beyond the first 1024
>cylinders.

Only if you have a pre-historic bios. In dual boot situations the
second partition almost always starts after the 1024 cylinders.

Cheers,

Cliff

Howard Johnson

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> this quote is from Anthony Neville of Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:48 :
>
> > Does the /boot directory and its contents still have to exist within the
> > first 1024 blocks?

> It's 1024 cylinders that makes the limit, and AFAIK relates to some old

BIOS
> versions that couldn't work beyond that.
> Apparently modern distros and modern motherboards don't have this problem.
>
> It might be worth you doing a google search on your exact motherboard on
> this topic to check it out.
>
> HTH
>
> Peter

It was a limitation of Lilo, its not now

Note on 1024 Cylinder limit
The 1024 cylinder limit has been broken! Support for the lba32 BIOS
extension has been added to LILO by John Coffman. For motherboards made
after 1998 (or with upgraded BIOSes), LILO will detect the BIOS extension
and you are able to install the boot partition where ever you like. You
need:

a.. LILO version 21.4 or later, available at
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/boot/lilo/.
b.. lba32 BIOS
c.. add the following line to the global section of /etc/lilo.conf

lba32

d.. remove the entry "linear" or comment it out, if it exists in
/etc/lilo.conf
For more detailed information on lba32, see the Large Disk HOWTO - Booting.

step

"Lennier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2003.08.24.08.24.36.929432@TRACKER...
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:48:42 +1200, Anthony Neville wrote:
>
> > Does the /boot directory and its contents still have to exist within the
> > first 1024 blocks?

> Yes.
>
> That is a BIOS limitation in accessing the HDD beyond the first 1024
> cylinders.
>
> Lennier

I thought that that was the LILO limit - that has now changed (I don't know
how high but well beond the 1024 linit)

any new distro should work fine

Lennier

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:48:42 +1200, Anthony Neville wrote:

> Does the /boot directory and its contents still have to exist within the
> first 1024 blocks?

Yes.

That is a BIOS limitation in accessing the HDD beyond the first 1024
cylinders.

Lennier

RecylerMan

Lennier wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:48:42 +1200, Anthony Neville wrote:
>

>>Does the /boot directory and its contents still have to exist within the
>>first 1024 blocks?

> Yes.
>
> That is a BIOS limitation in accessing the HDD beyond the first 1024
> cylinders.
>
> Lennier

I am shure that use to be the rule but I have been booting linux systems
beyond that barrier for a long time with moden hard where and using
Mandrake and or Slackware when I set up a Redhat 9 on this box It baffed
at the lilo install and refused to boot I have sinced fixed that up so
It will boot (put on flame proof sute) Redhat 9 sux for what I wanted it
for it makes a nice buseness desktop but not a good home user desktop in
the end I installed a bare minumin and built the rest from source, Makes
a brillant server though

on the plus side have been using the slimp3 software on my esmith box
and been using Knoppix or dammsmall as a palyer the windows palyers barf
at playing more than 24 hours of streemed content.

I think that rpm's may have had there day as the software is getting
more complex now I have had no problems with rpm's on my esmith box but
it has no gui but on redhat I ended up going back to source....

**** now I sound like the one

must get out and smell the roses

--
RecylerMan ICQ 22245595
Mail to :- l i n u x u s r AT i h u g DOT c o DOT n z