Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Best way to recover list Win ME boot partition?

Best way to recover list Win ME boot partition?

back again

I have a Windows ME machine sitting in front of me that had had its
partition tables trashed (it's not mine, I wouldn't insult my own hardware
like that . Does anyone know of a good tool for recovering/rebuilding
the partition table (and recovering the data) that is on the hard disk?
Even better if it can be run from a floppy, as this machine seems to be
tempermental about booting from CD.

Cheers,
Mark

Gavin Tunney

On 24 Aug 2003 05:26:12 GMT, back again <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Windows ME machine sitting in front of me that had had its
>partition tables trashed (it's not mine, I wouldn't insult my own hardware
>like that . Does anyone know of a good tool for recovering/rebuilding
>the partition table (and recovering the data) that is on the hard disk?
>Even better if it can be run from a floppy, as this machine seems to be
>tempermental about booting from CD.

I tried a Dos freeware app called mbrwork.exe a few years back, was
quite good at restoring partitions so long as the first partition's
boot sector was still there. Web search should find it ok.

Gavin

back again

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Gavin Tunney) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Subject: Re: Best way to recover list Win ME boot partition?
> From: (E-Mail Removed) (Gavin Tunney)
> Newsgroups: nz.comp
>
> On 24 Aug 2003 05:26:12 GMT, back again <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have a Windows ME machine sitting in front of me that had had its
>>partition tables trashed (it's not mine, I wouldn't insult my own
>>hardware like that . Does anyone know of a good tool for
>>recovering/rebuilding the partition table (and recovering the data)
>>that is on the hard disk? Even better if it can be run from a floppy,
>>as this machine seems to be tempermental about booting from CD.
>>

> I tried a Dos freeware app called mbrwork.exe a few years back, was
> quite good at restoring partitions so long as the first partition's
> boot sector was still there. Web search should find it ok.
>
> Gavin

No partitions were present, but I sorted it out with testdisk.

Cheers,
Mark