Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: linux newbie

Re: linux newbie

Lennier

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 14:43:48 +1200, Tim wrote:

> If you only intend on a webserver, webmail, and a firewall installing X is
> not even necessary.

But if a person has not used Linux before, then not installing X is most
probably not a realistic option.

Lennier

Lennier

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:11:24 +1200, Peter wrote:

>> Linux was originally designed to run on an intel 80386 chip.

> Yes, but it is worth pointing out that performance is noticably impaired
> with older hardware.

It's also worth pointing out that performance using older hardware would
be exactly the same today as when that older hardware was new.

> Technically, Linux can run on a 386 and needs only 2MB of RAM ...
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Installati...l#REQUIREMENTS But
> I suspect getting that to go would require some skill, and it would be
> rather limited in what it could do.

Perhaps installing the system may require the use of a boot-floppy. Once
the system is installed it may take a while to do anything - especially
using the GUI.

However, that would be no different from when the hardware was new.

Lennier