Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Pin 1

Pin 1

Mike R

How do you which end is pin 1 for the floppy drive on the mother mother
board if it is not marked or not in the manual .It is a iwill ka266plus
http://www.iwillusa.com/products/Pro...sp?vID=41&CID=

What happens if it is the wrong way around

Thanks Mike

Robert Kramer

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:42:31 +1200, "Mike R" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>How do you which end is pin 1 for the floppy drive on the mother mother
>board if it is not marked or not in the manual .It is a iwill ka266plus
>http://www.iwillusa.com/products/Pro...sp?vID=41&CID=
>
>What happens if it is the wrong way around
>
>Thanks Mike

Done it a few times, the drive light will come on..

Mike R

Does it do any damage
"Robert Kramer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:42:31 +1200, "Mike R" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >How do you which end is pin 1 for the floppy drive on the mother mother
> >board if it is not marked or not in the manual .It is a iwill ka266plus
> >http://www.iwillusa.com/products/Pro...sp?vID=41&CID=
> >
> >What happens if it is the wrong way around
> >
> >Thanks Mike
> >

> Done it a few times, the drive light will come on..

Paul

Pin 1 on cables floppy or ide (hard drive)
have a stripe (red or blue, on one side
of the cable), and the floppy connection
usually has 1 pin on the motherboard
missing (or an empty pin thing on the cable)
so it matches the motherboard connection.

Usually the connection, on the mobo
will only go one way. You'll know the
thing is round the wrong way (on the
floppy end) coz the light wont
go off on the floppy disk (from the front)

"Mike R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IVE1b.124521$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do you which end is pin 1 for the floppy drive on the mother mother
> board if it is not marked or not in the manual .It is a iwill ka266plus
> http://www.iwillusa.com/products/Pro...sp?vID=41&CID=
>
> What happens if it is the wrong way around
>
> Thanks Mike

Mike R

what do you think the reason for a cpu to fail could be it made no noise it
didnt even look for the AGP >IF IT WAS ALRIGHT WHEN I GOT IT ? WHAT COULD I
HAVE DONE WRONG >
news:bi76jj$2vv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pin 1 on cables floppy or ide (hard drive)
> have a stripe (red or blue, on one side
> of the cable), and the floppy connection
> usually has 1 pin on the motherboard
> missing (or an empty pin thing on the cable)
> so it matches the motherboard connection.
>
> Usually the connection, on the mobo
> will only go one way. You'll know the
> thing is round the wrong way (on the
> floppy end) coz the light wont
> go off on the floppy disk (from the front)
>

> "Mike R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:IVE1b.124521$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How do you which end is pin 1 for the floppy drive on the mother mother
> > board if it is not marked or not in the manual .It is a iwill ka266plus
> > http://www.iwillusa.com/products/Pro...sp?vID=41&CID=
> >
> > What happens if it is the wrong way around
> >
> > Thanks Mike

Paul

Whats the exact message that comes
up Mike? Does the computer boot
at all? Does the monitor come on?

If the monitor comes on, it cant
be your AGP card. Otherwise you
wouldnt see anything on the screen!

Whats the AGP card? And whats your
motherboard? Some computers wont
boot, if the AGP card you have is 3.3v.

If the motherboard can only support
1.5v for the AGP card. And you try
and put a 3.3v AGP card, the PC
wont boot. This is to protect it from
frying your motherboard. When you
put the wrong voltage AGP card in.

"Mike R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JaF1b.124536$(E-Mail Removed)...
> what do you think the reason for a cpu to fail could be it made no noise

it
> didnt even look for the AGP >IF IT WAS ALRIGHT WHEN I GOT IT ? WHAT COULD

> HAVE DONE WRONG >
> news:bi76jj$2vv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Pin 1 on cables floppy or ide (hard drive)
> > have a stripe (red or blue, on one side
> > of the cable), and the floppy connection
> > usually has 1 pin on the motherboard
> > missing (or an empty pin thing on the cable)
> > so it matches the motherboard connection.
> >
> > Usually the connection, on the mobo
> > will only go one way. You'll know the
> > thing is round the wrong way (on the
> > floppy end) coz the light wont
> > go off on the floppy disk (from the front)
> >

> > "Mike R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:IVE1b.124521$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > How do you which end is pin 1 for the floppy drive on the mother

mother
> > > board if it is not marked or not in the manual .It is a iwill

ka266plus
> > > http://www.iwillusa.com/products/Pro...sp?vID=41&CID=
> > >
> > > What happens if it is the wrong way around
> > >
> > > Thanks Mike

Mike R

Thanks for your help I appreciate it .
The monitor doesnt go on at all with the 1800+xp but will boot alright with
my friends 1600 and my 1800 would not go on his either could I have done
something to fry it or could it be the motherboard or could it just be a
faulty cpu. If my board wont support an 1800 could it fry the cpu it is a
iwill KA266 plus
http://www.iwillusa.com/products/Pro...sp?vID=41&CID= thanks Mike
news:bi77lv$3na$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Whats the exact message that comes
> up Mike? Does the computer boot
> at all? Does the monitor come on?
>
> If the monitor comes on, it cant
> be your AGP card. Otherwise you
> wouldnt see anything on the screen!
>
> Whats the AGP card? And whats your
> motherboard? Some computers wont
> boot, if the AGP card you have is 3.3v.
>
> If the motherboard can only support
> 1.5v for the AGP card. And you try
> and put a 3.3v AGP card, the PC
> wont boot. This is to protect it from
> frying your motherboard. When you
> put the wrong voltage AGP card in.
>

> "Mike R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:JaF1b.124536$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > what do you think the reason for a cpu to fail could be it made no noise

> it
> > didnt even look for the AGP >IF IT WAS ALRIGHT WHEN I GOT IT ? WHAT

COULD
> > HAVE DONE WRONG >
> > "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bi76jj$2vv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Pin 1 on cables floppy or ide (hard drive)
> > > have a stripe (red or blue, on one side
> > > of the cable), and the floppy connection
> > > usually has 1 pin on the motherboard
> > > missing (or an empty pin thing on the cable)
> > > so it matches the motherboard connection.
> > >
> > > Usually the connection, on the mobo
> > > will only go one way. You'll know the
> > > thing is round the wrong way (on the
> > > floppy end) coz the light wont
> > > go off on the floppy disk (from the front)
> > >

> > > "Mike R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:IVE1b.124521$(E-Mail Removed)...

> mother

> ka266plus

Robert Kramer

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:51:09 +1200, "Mike R" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Does it do any damage

Not is the few times that I have done it..

The sort of standard is that Pin 1 should be next to the power connector

>"Robert Kramer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:42:31 +1200, "Mike R" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >How do you which end is pin 1 for the floppy drive on the mother mother
>> >board if it is not marked or not in the manual .It is a iwill ka266plus
>> >http://www.iwillusa.com/products/Pro...sp?vID=41&CID=
>> >
>> >What happens if it is the wrong way around
>> >
>> >Thanks Mike
>> >

>> Done it a few times, the drive light will come on..

Paul

I've looked at the site u gave Mike.

It should be able to support that 1800+XP
CPU (the motherboard supports up to 1900+)

Was the 1800+ CPU working before?
If it was, when? how long ago?

Or did you just buy it? And did you
put the new CPU in? And did you
put the fan back on top of the CPU
after you installed it? You sure you
turned the power back on? flicked
the switch on the case to on?

If you put the 1600 back in, and it works now
then its not the motherboard that doesnt
work. It's definitely that 1800+ CPU.

Umm, this 1800+ cpu. Were you trying
to put it in the computer you're on now?

Or another computer?

"Mike R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ayF1b.124554$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your help I appreciate it .
> The monitor doesnt go on at all with the 1800+xp but will boot alright

with
> my friends 1600 and my 1800 would not go on his either could I have done
> something to fry it or could it be the motherboard or could it just be a
> faulty cpu. If my board wont support an 1800 could it fry the cpu it is a
> iwill KA266 plus
> http://www.iwillusa.com/products/Pro...sp?vID=41&CID= thanks Mike
> news:bi77lv$3na$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Whats the exact message that comes
> > up Mike? Does the computer boot
> > at all? Does the monitor come on?
> >
> > If the monitor comes on, it cant
> > be your AGP card. Otherwise you
> > wouldnt see anything on the screen!
> >
> > Whats the AGP card? And whats your
> > motherboard? Some computers wont
> > boot, if the AGP card you have is 3.3v.
> >
> > If the motherboard can only support
> > 1.5v for the AGP card. And you try
> > and put a 3.3v AGP card, the PC
> > wont boot. This is to protect it from
> > frying your motherboard. When you
> > put the wrong voltage AGP card in.
> >

> > "Mike R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:JaF1b.124536$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > what do you think the reason for a cpu to fail could be it made no

noise
> > it
> > > didnt even look for the AGP >IF IT WAS ALRIGHT WHEN I GOT IT ? WHAT

> COULD
> > > HAVE DONE WRONG >
> > > "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bi76jj$2vv$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > mother

> > ka266plus

Paul

Nope the 1600 should still work.

Just make sure you DONT touch the pins
on the CPU. You'll fry it with static.

(hold the cpu by the sides).

Thats the only reason, at the mo, I can think
of why it (the 1800+) wont / doesnt work.

Umm the 2nd site you gave MUST be
definitely wrong. As it says upto 1.2!

(altho iwill.net looks like it is part of Iwill
which is based in Taiwan).

That cant be right, coz u had a 1600 in
it and it worked! The only thing I can
think of for that, is ones an earlier version
(the 2nd one) to the 1st site you gave me.

I would go for the USA site, I think
that'll more up to date than the 2nd site.

Where's the 1600 cpu now?

And where r you? In Auckland?
If so, where?

"Mike R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jXF1b.124574$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Paul the power was on and the fan was spinning and the power light went
> on at the case.
> It is on another board.
> It was a new cpu I sent it back and hope to get another .But it worries me
> it might happen again.
> iwills usa site has different specs than the global; one try this one
> http://www.iwill.net/products/Produc...sp?vID=41&CID= If the 1800

blew
> on the board would the 1600 also Thankyou Mike
> news:bi79gj$4u6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've looked at the site u gave Mike.
> >
> > It should be able to support that 1800+XP
> > CPU (the motherboard supports up to 1900+)
> >
> > Was the 1800+ CPU working before?
> > If it was, when? how long ago?
> >
> > Or did you just buy it? And did you
> > put the new CPU in? And did you
> > put the fan back on top of the CPU
> > after you installed it? You sure you
> > turned the power back on? flicked
> > the switch on the case to on?
> >
> > If you put the 1600 back in, and it works now
> > then its not the motherboard that doesnt
> > work. It's definitely that 1800+ CPU.
> >
> > Umm, this 1800+ cpu. Were you trying
> > to put it in the computer you're on now?
> >
> > Or another computer?
> >

> > "Mike R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:ayF1b.124554$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Thanks for your help I appreciate it .
> > > The monitor doesnt go on at all with the 1800+xp but will boot alright

> > with
> > > my friends 1600 and my 1800 would not go on his either could I have

done
> > > something to fry it or could it be the motherboard or could it just be

> > > faulty cpu. If my board wont support an 1800 could it fry the cpu it

is
> > > iwill KA266 plus
> > > http://www.iwillusa.com/products/Pro...sp?vID=41&CID= thanks

> Mike
> > > "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:bi77lv$3na$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > noise

WHAT
> > > COULD

mother

Modify 24 pin PSU connector to 20 pin JM Computer Information 7 11-28-2006 09:55 PM
cpld with low pin count? khiltrop@gesytec.de VHDL 1 08-29-2005 10:32 AM
Signal use from pin ALuPin VHDL 2 05-04-2005 07:35 AM
Pin declarations in EC/ECP FPGAs =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9s?= VHDL 11 03-11-2005 05:35 AM
using entity attributes for pin number assignments Neil Zanella VHDL 2 10-26-2003 03:22 AM

Advertisments