Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Xbox Live

Xbox Live

Ali P

Hi, anyone here using Xbox Live? From what I understand it is possible to
order the Live kit from the US and subscribe/connect from New Zealand.
I am running Jetstream Starter (128k) with a Nokia M11 ADSL router and I'm
quite interested in getting set up for Xbox Live. I realise the 128k just
barely meets the minimum specs and I might need to upgrade the router to one
on the approved list.
What I'd like to know is whether the ping times etc and the comparitively
low bandwidth (compared to REAL broadband) makes the service usable and
enjoyable.
I understand Xbox Live is due to launch here next year. Thats a long time to
wait - by then I'll be looking ahead to my next-gen console purchase.

Carl Elphick

"Ali P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:E9A1b.13331$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I understand Xbox Live is due to launch here next year. Thats a long time

> wait - by then I'll be looking ahead to my next-gen console purchase.

Someone I talked to once I a shop selling Xbox's is MS proberly won't
introduce Xbox live to NZ for the time being due to our broadband pricing
being so expensive..
Maybe if we had the pricing that some Aussie ISP's offer for ADSL they would
think twice! Tho long as Telecom is in full control I don't see it
happening...

---

Nathan Mercer

"Ali P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:E9A1b.13331$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, anyone here using Xbox Live? From what I understand it is possible to
> order the Live kit from the US and subscribe/connect from New Zealand.
> I am running Jetstream Starter (128k) with a Nokia M11 ADSL router and I'm
> quite interested in getting set up for Xbox Live. I realise the 128k just
> barely meets the minimum specs and I might need to upgrade the router to

one
> on the approved list.
> What I'd like to know is whether the ping times etc and the comparitively
> low bandwidth (compared to REAL broadband) makes the service usable and
> enjoyable.

JetStart is fast enough to play most of the Xbox Live enabled games
(certainly all the ones I've tried - MechAssault, Ghost Recon, Midtown
Maddnes, MotoGP)
The most annoything about the 128k Jetstart connection is the slowness for
downloading new content, like updates, new maps, new weapons etc, other than
that playing and even using the voice commander seems fine to me. I
normally play online about an hour a day.

There's quite a selection of Live enabled games nowadays
http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/Games/Live-GamesList.htm

> I understand Xbox Live is due to launch here next year. Thats a long time

> wait - by then I'll be looking ahead to my next-gen console purchase.

and still waiting for them to ship...