Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Installing windows updates offline

Reply
Thread Tools

Installing windows updates offline

 
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2003
"Uncle StoatWarbler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 00:02:40 +1200, Mainlander wrote:
>
> > It's driven by similar imperatives - keeping the filename as short as
> > possible to save typing in a command line environment. To a lesser

extent
> > in the Windows environment influenced by the old 8.3 filename limit

still
> > perpetuated in CDs.

>
> Huh? CDs use Joliet format which allows long filenames unless you're in
> dos mode - and dos mode filenames are only there for compatibility
> purposes.
>
> Wrt typing, tab expansion has been standard in *nix shells for ~10 years
> (/bin/sh is for scripts, not people)
>
> Dos systems gained it with the 4dos shell replacement and CMD still
> doesn't have it.


CMD does so have it, try using M$ stuff before just bagging it for the hell
of it


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
T.N.O
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-26-2003
"Uncle StoatWarbler" wrote
> Dos systems gained it with the 4dos shell replacement and CMD still
> doesn't have it.


I have *nix like tab expansion in my XP... downloaded a util from MS.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
T-Boy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-26-2003
In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
*@*.* says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) z>,
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:22:35 +1200, T-Boy wrote:
> >
> > > HfNetChkLT is the free version of HfNetChk

> >
> > And people call Linux cryptic ...

>
> It's driven by similar imperatives - keeping the filename as short as
> possible to save typing in a command line environment. To a lesser extent
> in the Windows environment influenced by the old 8.3 filename limit still
> perpetuated in CDs.


FfNetChkLT is the name of the program, not the name of the file


Yes, it's a fuked name, IMO too.

--
Duncan
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mainlander
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-26-2003
In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> *@*.* says...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed) z>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > > On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:22:35 +1200, T-Boy wrote:
> > >
> > > > HfNetChkLT is the free version of HfNetChk
> > >
> > > And people call Linux cryptic ...

> >
> > It's driven by similar imperatives - keeping the filename as short as
> > possible to save typing in a command line environment. To a lesser extent
> > in the Windows environment influenced by the old 8.3 filename limit still
> > perpetuated in CDs.

>
> FfNetChkLT is the name of the program, not the name of the file
>


the original version HfNetChk - 8 characters. As are most of the Windows
operating system files, Office etc.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can't connect to the internet after installing Windows Updates calliope14@gmail.com Wireless Networking 0 07-23-2006 06:10 AM
checking "Show Updates" doesn't reveal any Windows XP updates =?Utf-8?B?d2xzNTA4?= Windows 64bit 5 05-26-2006 04:42 PM
? Windows 2000 Professional, how to use printer offline zxcvbob Computer Support 1 08-02-2004 03:29 AM
Downloading Windows Updates and Installing offline Adam Steiner Computer Information 0 05-10-2004 01:30 AM



Advertisments