Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > new unlimited broadband pricing from telecom

new unlimited broadband pricing from telecom

Anthony Neville

"Who is this" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <rzU1b.13467$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Anthony Neville" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]
> > I also like jumping from picture to picture in binary newsgroups and having
> > them displayed in < 2 secs. Keep in mind that when downloading data within
> > New Zealand only a ~tenth~ of the data is added to the usage. Downloading
> > a RedHat distribution locally adds ~190MB to my usage instead of 1.9GB.
> >
> > Tony.
> >

> Dowloading locally as ZERO to jetstart, I can download 1000G if I wanted
> to locally at ZERO extra cost. Sure its only 128k but it is still
> cheaper than a 2nd phone lins so someone can call me while I am online.

Does the same zero cost apply to Jetstream?

Tony.

Chris Mayhew

Who is this <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Dowloading locally as ZERO to jetstart, I can download 1000G if I
> wanted to locally at ZERO extra cost. Sure its only 128k but it is
> still cheaper than a 2nd phone lins so someone can call me while I am
> online.

Which ISP offers this plan ?

--
Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

Who is this

In article <6nV1b.13471$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Anthony Neville" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Dowloading locally as ZERO to jetstart, I can download 1000G if I wanted
> > to locally at ZERO extra cost. Sure its only 128k but it is still
> > cheaper than a 2nd phone lins so someone can call me while I am online.

> Does the same zero cost apply to Jetstream?

A quick check on the telecom web site says tahst only jetstart has the
unlimited national traffic.

Who is this

In article <NHV1b.13477$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Chris Mayhew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Who is this <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > Dowloading locally as ZERO to jetstart, I can download 1000G if I
> > wanted to locally at ZERO extra cost. Sure its only 128k but it is
> > still cheaper than a 2nd phone lins so someone can call me while I am
> > online.

> Which ISP offers this plan ?

XTRA, but go and read the costs of jetstart on telecoms site.

Nathan Mercer

"Lennier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2003.08.23.00.41.30.954299@TRACKER...
> Even Telecom's best deal at the moment is till too expensive for what is
> being offered.
>
> Dry crumbs thrown down from the table IMHO.
>
> Telecom is still exploiting it's broadband monopoly by not actually
> providing affordable broadband access like what is available in the USA.

NZ is not the USA. Get out and about sometime and look at a map of the
world. There is a little thing called an ocean in the way

Who is this

In article <3uY1b.125400$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Nathan Mercer" <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:

> NZ is not the USA. Get out and about sometime and look at a map of the
> world. There is a little thing called an ocean in the way

The look at the traffic patterns, the majority of the US traffic is
internal, the majority of NZ traffic is external. Add to that the fact
that all of NZs populationonly adds up to what 1/5 of New York, maybe
less.

Nathan Mercer

"Who is this" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > NZ is not the USA. Get out and about sometime and look at a map of the
> > world. There is a little thing called an ocean in the way

> The look at the traffic patterns, the majority of the US traffic is
> internal, the majority of NZ traffic is external. Add to that the fact
> that all of NZs populationonly adds up to what 1/5 of New York, maybe
> less.

Which is not to say that I think we should get a better deal. National,
international differnet rates sound pretty fair and reasonable to me.

Bruce Simpson

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:16:20 +1200, Who is this <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <3uY1b.125400$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Nathan Mercer" <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:
>

>> NZ is not the USA. Get out and about sometime and look at a map of the
>> world. There is a little thing called an ocean in the way

>The look at the traffic patterns, the majority of the US traffic is
>internal, the majority of NZ traffic is external. Add to that the fact
>that all of NZs populationonly adds up to what 1/5 of New York, maybe
>less.

So why don't the new plans offer *free* local traffic and only include
international traffic in their cap like JetStream Starter does?

THere's also more evidence that Telecom are ripping us off in
tomorrow's (Monday's) Aardvark.

Bruce Simpson

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:17:35 +0000, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 17:58:27 +1200, Nathan Mercer wrote:
>

>> NZ is not the USA. Get out and about sometime and look at a map of the
>> world. There is a little thing called an ocean in the way

>That doesn't explain why it costs 4-5 times as much to get a circuit from
>Auckland to anywhere else in the country as it does to get it from Los
>Angeles to Auckland in the first place.

And it also doesn't explain why flat-rate *true* flat-rate uncapped
broadband (as opposed to Telecom's JetStream Home/Starter offerings)
via DSL is available for a reasonable price in Australia.

Does that extra 1,500 miles really make so much difference?

And why, if the cost is down to all that distance between NZ and the
rest of thew orld, are Telecom charging up to $0.20/MB for NATIONAL
over-cap traffic on their new JetStream Home offeings?

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 17:58:27 +1200, Nathan Mercer wrote:

> NZ is not the USA. Get out and about sometime and look at a map of the
> world. There is a little thing called an ocean in the way

That doesn't explain why it costs 4-5 times as much to get a circuit from
Auckland to anywhere else in the country as it does to get it from Los
Angeles to Auckland in the first place.

For ****'s sake Nathan, are you Telecom and Microsoft's paid broken
record?