Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > new unlimited broadband pricing from telecom

Reply
Thread Tools

new unlimited broadband pricing from telecom

 
 
santa
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-22-2003
JetStream Home will run at 256Kbit/s for both up and downloads and
will be capped at 500MB, 1GB and 2GB. The new offerings, which will be
available in 30 days, will cost $39.95, $49.95 and $59.95
respectively, not including ISP charges.

I almost laughed my arse off. Who are they trying to fool? Do they
think we really are this stupid?


Reminds me how this isp in Au has 20 pages of services, all capped to
different levels.

Then there's this ISP in HK, with one service only. Unlimited. Oh, and
it's cheaper than all the plans of the Au isp too.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
NZed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-22-2003
I am looking at broadband myself....who have the best deals at the moment.?
An average user ....less than a 1 gig a month
NZed

"santa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> JetStream Home will run at 256Kbit/s for both up and downloads and
> will be capped at 500MB, 1GB and 2GB. The new offerings, which will be
> available in 30 days, will cost $39.95, $49.95 and $59.95
> respectively, not including ISP charges.
>
> I almost laughed my arse off. Who are they trying to fool? Do they
> think we really are this stupid?
>
>
> Reminds me how this isp in Au has 20 pages of services, all capped to
> different levels.
>
> Then there's this ISP in HK, with one service only. Unlimited. Oh, and
> it's cheaper than all the plans of the Au isp too.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Uncle StoatWarbler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2003
On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:41:30 +1200, Lennier wrote:

> Telecom is still exploiting it's broadband monopoly by not actually
> providing affordable broadband access like what is available in the USA.


It's not the broadband side of things they're concerned about.

The caps and other restrictions are all about discouraging companies
moving from their _extremely_ profitable DDS circuits to ADSL.

Telecom gets around 1/4 to 1/3 of its income from DDS and related
services. They can't afford for there to be massive uptake of ADSL in
business.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jay
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2003
santa wrote:

> JetStream Home will run at 256Kbit/s for both up and downloads and
> will be capped at 500MB, 1GB and 2GB.


No, it wont run at 256kbps. It will run *up* to 256kbps.
Would you buy a house advertised at "up to" 3 bedrooms?

> The new offerings, which will be
> available in 30 days, will cost $39.95, $49.95 and $59.95
> respectively, not including ISP charges.
>
> I almost laughed my arse off. Who are they trying to fool? Do they
> think we really are this stupid?


Yes.

>
>
> Reminds me how this isp in Au has 20 pages of services, all capped to
> different levels.


At least you have a choice there.

>
> Then there's this ISP in HK, with one service only. Unlimited. Oh, and
> it's cheaper than all the plans of the Au isp too.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jay
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2003
Anthony Neville wrote:


> If you live in Christchuch or Wellington then have a close look at getting
> Paradise cable. I have the Paradise Express plan (2Mbps dl/512Kbps ul for
> $110) and my average is
> about 800MB per month.


Which amounts to a grand total of 53 minutes of continuous use per month.
Are you sure you are getting value for money at $2 per minute?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Mayhew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2003
Jay <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bi7rlu$65sqq$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> Anthony Neville wrote:
>
>
>> If you live in Christchuch or Wellington then have a close look at
>> getting Paradise cable. I have the Paradise Express plan (2Mbps
>> dl/512Kbps ul for $110) and my average is
>> about 800MB per month.

>
> Which amounts to a grand total of 53 minutes of continuous use per
> month. Are you sure you are getting value for money at $2 per minute?
>
>


Thats the impression I get, but then his average usage is 800 MB per month
so he is most likely interested in speed of downloading his email and
browsing etc so that he's not waiting round for webpages to download.

--
Chris Mayhew using Xnews !
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Mayhew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2003
MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:bi7biu$5ud$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Uncle StoatWarbler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:09:26 +1200, santa wrote:
>>
>>> JetStream Home will run at 256Kbit/s for both up and downloads and
>>> will be capped at 500MB, 1GB and 2GB. The new offerings, which will
>>> be available in 30 days, will cost $39.95, $49.95 and $59.95
>>> respectively, not including ISP charges.

>>
>> I pay $75/month including ISP charges for 512kb/s uncapped. Be
>> assured I regularly exceed 20GB/month. If I want 1Mb/s it's $90/month
>>
>> Kinda interesting that the service is significantly more expensive
>> than 128kb/s with 10GB cap....

>
> Telecom impose no cap whatsoever on the Jetstream Starter (128K)
> accounts. Which makes your point even more interesting.
>
> My ISP (IHUG) allows me to transfer unlimited national traffic and up
> to 10GB international. A second account allows a further 10GB of
> international traffic. All this on the $29.95 Jetstream account from
> Telecom.
>
>
>
>


So you have 2 accounts and just change the loggin ID and password ?

--
Chris Mayhew using Xnews !
 
Reply With Quote
 
art
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2003
On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 23:49:45 +1000, Jay <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>santa wrote:
>
>> JetStream Home will run at 256Kbit/s for both up and downloads and
>> will be capped at 500MB, 1GB and 2GB.

>
>No, it wont run at 256kbps. It will run *up* to 256kbps.
>Would you buy a house advertised at "up to" 3 bedrooms?
>
>> The new offerings, which will be
>> available in 30 days, will cost $39.95, $49.95 and $59.95
>> respectively, not including ISP charges.
>>
>> I almost laughed my arse off. Who are they trying to fool? Do they
>> think we really are this stupid?

>
>Yes.
>
>>
>>
>> Reminds me how this isp in Au has 20 pages of services, all capped to
>> different levels.

>
>At least you have a choice there.
>
>>
>> Then there's this ISP in HK, with one service only. Unlimited. Oh, and
>> it's cheaper than all the plans of the Au isp too.


A certain and reasonable percentage of people would have to be
running it at 256 for them to say that, otherwise it is false
advertising. Otherwise a sale a shop could say up to 90% off
everything, but only has one thing that is 90% off, they will get in
trouble with the CC.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Anthony Neville
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2003

"Chris Mayhew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:IDT1b.13459$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jay <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:bi7rlu$65sqq$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:
>
> > Anthony Neville wrote:
> >
> >
> >> If you live in Christchuch or Wellington then have a close look at
> >> getting Paradise cable. I have the Paradise Express plan (2Mbps
> >> dl/512Kbps ul for $110) and my average is
> >> about 800MB per month.

> >
> > Which amounts to a grand total of 53 minutes of continuous use per
> > month. Are you sure you are getting value for money at $2 per minute?

>
> Thats the impression I get, but then his average usage is 800 MB per month
> so he is most likely interested in speed of downloading his email and
> browsing etc so that he's not waiting round for webpages to download.


I also like jumping from picture to picture in binary newsgroups and having
them displayed in < 2 secs. Keep in mind that when downloading data within
New Zealand only a ~tenth~ of the data is added to the usage. Downloading
a RedHat distribution locally adds ~190MB to my usage instead of 1.9GB.

Tony.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Who is this
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2003
In article <rzU1b.13467$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Anthony Neville" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Chris Mayhew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:IDT1b.13459$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Jay <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:bi7rlu$65sqq$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:
> >
> > > Anthony Neville wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > >> If you live in Christchuch or Wellington then have a close look at
> > >> getting Paradise cable. I have the Paradise Express plan (2Mbps
> > >> dl/512Kbps ul for $110) and my average is
> > >> about 800MB per month.
> > >
> > > Which amounts to a grand total of 53 minutes of continuous use per
> > > month. Are you sure you are getting value for money at $2 per minute?

> >
> > Thats the impression I get, but then his average usage is 800 MB per month
> > so he is most likely interested in speed of downloading his email and
> > browsing etc so that he's not waiting round for webpages to download.

>
> I also like jumping from picture to picture in binary newsgroups and having
> them displayed in < 2 secs. Keep in mind that when downloading data within
> New Zealand only a ~tenth~ of the data is added to the usage. Downloading
> a RedHat distribution locally adds ~190MB to my usage instead of 1.9GB.
>
> Tony.
>
>


Dowloading locally as ZERO to jetstart, I can download 1000G if I wanted
to locally at ZERO extra cost. Sure its only 128k but it is still
cheaper than a 2nd phone lins so someone can call me while I am online.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: VoIP / ITSPs - Current Best Value - Alternative (Package Type / Unlimited) Tariffs - Vyke appear to have shifted their pricing up x times 100's of Per Cent! Graham. UK VOIP 1 07-05-2010 09:53 PM
Unlimited calling to 21 countries including the United States:Unlimited World Plan: $19.95 mo priyank shah UK VOIP 0 03-13-2007 08:58 AM
Unlimited Calls Packags: Update(d)! - There or nearly there!? - 2/3 per month unlimited price range News Reader UK VOIP 13 03-03-2007 05:02 PM
Drat! Is Telecom offering the best 'piggie' unlimited deal? canon paora NZ Computing 8 10-26-2006 11:42 AM



Advertisments