Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Two Available Networks Shown

Two Available Networks Shown

silkphoenix

Hi, I am using a D-Link DI-614 router and a D-Link DWL-G120 adapter,
Windows XP.

When I look at my available networks, it shows two of them. One is
"default" and the other one is under the street name I live on. The
"default" one is not secure while the other one is secure. When I
called D-Link support, they told me to use "default" instead. Could
anyone please let me know why does my PC show two networks? Could the
other one belong to someone else live on the same street?

Any comments/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

=?Utf-8?B?RWxsZW4=?=

The other one is most likely someone who lives nearby, and your computer can
accessing that router as well. I disagree that you should just "use the
default" because if your computer is not set up correctly, your default
router could belong to someone else. I suggest you call your internet
service provider to set the profile using your IP address. Also, you should
definitely "secure" your network with a password, or else any one of your
neighbors could be accessing the internet using your router!!
I hope this helps!

"silkphoenix" wrote:

> Hi, I am using a D-Link DI-614 router and a D-Link DWL-G120 adapter,
> Windows XP.
>
> When I look at my available networks, it shows two of them. One is
> "default" and the other one is under the street name I live on. The
> "default" one is not secure while the other one is secure. When I
> called D-Link support, they told me to use "default" instead. Could
> anyone please let me know why does my PC show two networks? Could the
> other one belong to someone else live on the same street?
>
> Any comments/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

=?Utf-8?B?QkFS?=

I would recommend these steps:

Do not accept the default or a well known local landmark or street name
setting as anyone nearby with a wireless device can also use your internet
access, as you have already observed the use of a Street Name for one of your
neighbour's Access Point. Set your SSID to a meaningful name use your
Business Name. For work-group name use ‘Wireless’ and a wireless channel
select from 1 – 11, I recommend you use a higher channel as default settings
usually select the lower end. Keep these consistent for all of your
machines.

Security
For additional security you can and should use Wired Equivalent Privacy
(WEP) algorithm: and set this at 64bit: you can then choose a combination of
10 hexadecimal characters [0-9 + A-F], again for this may I recommend you
select your mobile phone number as it is 10 characters long and not known to
all your neighbours.

Additionally you can set the Access Point to only allow access to specific
units, where you would enter their MAC address, again a series of Hex
numbers, usually found on the Wireless Card plugged into the Laptops or other
desktop PCs.

"Ellen" wrote:

> The other one is most likely someone who lives nearby, and your computer can
> accessing that router as well. I disagree that you should just "use the
> default" because if your computer is not set up correctly, your default
> router could belong to someone else. I suggest you call your internet
> service provider to set the profile using your IP address. Also, you should
> definitely "secure" your network with a password, or else any one of your
> neighbors could be accessing the internet using your router!!
> I hope this helps!
>
> "silkphoenix" wrote:
>
> > Hi, I am using a D-Link DI-614 router and a D-Link DWL-G120 adapter,
> > Windows XP.
> >
> > When I look at my available networks, it shows two of them. One is
> > "default" and the other one is under the street name I live on. The
> > "default" one is not secure while the other one is secure. When I
> > called D-Link support, they told me to use "default" instead. Could
> > anyone please let me know why does my PC show two networks? Could the
> > other one belong to someone else live on the same street?
> >
> > Any comments/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

hatespam

Since we're talking neighbors here and you ask for suggestions, you
might want to use your phone number as SSID. That way if a neighbor
wants to use some of your bandwidth, they can just call and ask if it's
OK. If so, give them the password. Better than leaving your AP open -
and still "neighborly."

Ellen wrote:
> The other one is most likely someone who lives nearby, and your

computer can
> accessing that router as well. I disagree that you should just "use

the
> default" because if your computer is not set up correctly, your

default
> router could belong to someone else. I suggest you call your

internet
> service provider to set the profile using your IP address. Also, you

should
> definitely "secure" your network with a password, or else any one of

your
> neighbors could be accessing the internet using your router!!
> I hope this helps!
>
> "silkphoenix" wrote:
>
> > Hi, I am using a D-Link DI-614 router and a D-Link DWL-G120

adapter,
> > Windows XP.
> >
> > When I look at my available networks, it shows two of them. One is
> > "default" and the other one is under the street name I live on. The
> > "default" one is not secure while the other one is secure. When I
> > called D-Link support, they told me to use "default" instead. Could
> > anyone please let me know why does my PC show two networks? Could

the
> > other one belong to someone else live on the same street?
> >
> > Any comments/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Jack

Hi
If another Wireless Signal is propagating in your reception area it might
appear in your available Wireless Network. Nothing is wrong with this that
is the way Wireless technology works (the Air around us does not
discriminate among signals).
Using the measures of security is the step to insure that others can not use
your signal, and vice versa.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...