Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Worm

Re: Worm

art

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:14:18 +1200, Whoknows <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Wouldn't ya think that it might be in the ISP's best interest if they
>sent out an email to all those idiot customers out there that still
>haven't updated their damned computers.
>I'm sick and tired of gettign firewall logs filling up with port 135
>scans, especially when alot of them are coming from nz machines.
>You'd think with all the media coverage people would have got off their
>arses and sorted out their puters.
>Maybe if the ISP's emailed and said their account would be suspended if
>they continued to run an infected machine they'd actually do something.
>Some people are just too damned dumb to own on in my opinion.
>

>Now back to your regular channel

I've got a friend who is running an old pentium 100 running NT that
basically can't be patched and updated with virus software, becuase
all the patches use up more diskspace that he has got left. Also the
computer crashes when. ALso all the new virus scanners and firewalls
are far too bloated for his machineand slow if down and use up too
much memory and diskspace. He should probably go to linux, but it
suits his purpose for running and accounting program and email only.

Whoknows

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:14:18 +1200, Whoknows <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Wouldn't ya think that it might be in the ISP's best interest if they
> >sent out an email to all those idiot customers out there that still
> >haven't updated their damned computers.
> >I'm sick and tired of gettign firewall logs filling up with port 135
> >scans, especially when alot of them are coming from nz machines.
> >You'd think with all the media coverage people would have got off their
> >arses and sorted out their puters.
> >Maybe if the ISP's emailed and said their account would be suspended if
> >they continued to run an infected machine they'd actually do something.
> >Some people are just too damned dumb to own on in my opinion.
> >

> >Now back to your regular channel

> I've got a friend who is running an old pentium 100 running NT that
> basically can't be patched and updated with virus software, becuase
> all the patches use up more diskspace that he has got left. Also the
> computer crashes when. ALso all the new virus scanners and firewalls
> are far too bloated for his machineand slow if down and use up too
> much memory and diskspace. He should probably go to linux, but it
> suits his purpose for running and accounting program and email only.

I didn't think NT would run on such a lowly spec'd machine. He has my
sympathies Must be slow as a dead dog to do anything.