Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Will MS blow up the planet...looks close !

Re: Will MS blow up the planet...looks close !

Peter

this quote is from The Flash of Sun, 24 Aug 2003 00:02 :
> If you think that the goal of removing viruses and Spam are
> detrimental to computer users you are wrong.

Removing viruses and spam would be great, but this is not the purpose of
palladium. Palladium is to ensure that the USA corporations have more
control over your computer than you do. The "trust" bit means that
Microsoft et al can trust your computer to do as they wish, and not what a
user may want to do. They will control what software you can run, and what
data files you can access.
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html
http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit029.html

Peter

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:35:09 +1200, Howard Johnson wrote:

> I'm just not a MacZealot, I choose platforms according to the application I
> need.

Which is the way to approach things.

I have a WinCE Ipaq. It's not running linux because it runs a $2500
wireless intrusion detection program which will only run on an Ipaq.

If I want to play games, I'll buy a PS/2 or Xbox

If I want to control a lathe, I'll buy a CNC processing box.

The reality is that for 99.9% of what I want to do, Linux works and works
well. I'd like to see anyone running _reliable_ clustered computing with
Windows (Hint, the Titanic team dumped Wolfpack because it was slow and
buggy).

Most of the software I work with was developed on *nix or VMS systems, for
*nix or VMS systems. Uptimes of several years are not unusual.

The Flash

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> this quote is from The Flash of Sun, 24 Aug 2003 00:02 :
> > If you think that the goal of removing viruses and Spam are
> > detrimental to computer users you are wrong.

> Removing viruses and spam would be great, but this is not the purpose of
> palladium. Palladium is to ensure that the USA corporations have more
> control over your computer than you do. The "trust" bit means that
> Microsoft et al can trust your computer to do as they wish, and not what a
> user may want to do. They will control what software you can run, and

what
> data files you can access.
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html
> http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit029.html
>

> Peter

Not their plan but as spammers and virus writers will not be able to
digitally sign and prove a trusted client the two major problems will be
hugely reduced, just a side affect.

Why do I want to run untrusted software or an untrusted os? Yes if you are
pirate / cracker / hacker / thief it will impact on you. If you purchased
your OS and apps it will make little differance.

The world is changing, much like in the 50's you could cobble up a valve
shortwave transmitter throw up an aerial and start chatting to folk around
the world, more people started doing / technology moved on and along came
strict regulations.

The internet / personal computers / handheld connected devices have reached
this point, the Golden days of PTP, hacking and cracking are quickly ending.
Yes I will be sorry to see them gone but we all have to accept that this is
the way things were cannot continue.

Freedom? Lost that along time ago.

Mark Harris

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:53:12 +1200, "The Flash"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Not their plan but as spammers and virus writers will not be able to
>digitally sign and prove a trusted client the two major problems will be
>hugely reduced, just a side affect.

Think again. Once you have a "trusted environment", anybody on the
inside can wreak havoc. It's an axiom of IT: if one can make it,
another can break it. What happens when the black hats get hold of or
forge a digital cert of the type required? Where's your protection
then? What happens when they discover the inevitable security hole
left by Microsoft, not as a backdoor, but as a cockup? Experience
shows that this WILL happen - it's only a matter of when.

>Why do I want to run untrusted software or an untrusted os? Yes if you are
>pirate / cracker / hacker / thief it will impact on you. If you purchased
>your OS and apps it will make little differance.

I suggest you read up on the whole Palladium/DRM issue as you haven't
understood what it's about. MS doesn't want to protect you, it wants
to protect it's intellectual property. Read the EULAs for Media
Player, W2K SP3 and XP - you grant them the right to make changes to
your system to protect THEIR intellectual property rights. See comment
above about the inevitable cockup.

You may have purchased an entirely legitimate piece of software only
to find it will no longer run because Microsoft have decided the
manufacturer is no longer "trusted". And don't say it won't happen -
it already has - see the DR-DOS saga.

MS has been convicted of abusing their monopoly position.
Unfortunately, they got a lucky break when Dubya stole the US
Presidency and gave them the courtesy of one crook to another, so they
only got slapped with a wet bus ticket. They will do it again - some
reports indicate they never stopped.

>The world is changing, much like in the 50's you could cobble up a valve
>shortwave transmitter throw up an aerial and start chatting to folk around
>the world, more people started doing / technology moved on and along came
>strict regulations.

This is an excuse for giving up control of your life? Regulation for
the good of all is one thing. Palladium is a straitjacket controlled
by a single corporate entity. To borrow you analogy, it's like you put
up your arial but you're only allowed to recieve the one or two
stations that Microsoft permits you to receive.

>The internet / personal computers / handheld connected devices have reached
>this point, the Golden days of PTP, hacking and cracking are quickly ending.
>Yes I will be sorry to see them gone but we all have to accept that this is
>the way things were cannot continue.

Don't think so. P2P and wireless offer more of a revolution than ever
before.

>Freedom? Lost that along time ago.

Only in your mind.

cheers

mark
--
"Someone's been mean to you! Tell me who it is, so I can punch him tastefully."
- Ralph Bakshi's Mighty Mouse