Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Data output from GPS

Data output from GPS

gblack

"Sue Bilstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
: Roger Johnstone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
: >
: > But this would only work if the data recorder was in a sealed,
tamper-
: > proof box provided by the government and welded to your car,
otherwise
: > you could just reprogram it to record any data you liked!
: >
: > If you go that far, why bother having cops with speed detectors?
Just
: > program the recorder to automatically issue you a fine if you go
over
: > the speed limit )
:
: In this morning's news: the UK government are considering doing just
: that.
:
: At least the device would be impartial, remembering recent
complaints
: on this group about doubtful testimony from Police re speed.

One minute they're denying that such technology exists and the next
they're worried that such technology can be used against them..

Rupert

tumonz is pretty shitty though - the quality of the data is nothing compared
to www.nztopoonline.linz.govt.nz - which are both vector datasets.

esp as you have to pay extra for many of the standard nzmg50 data features!

"Chris Mayhew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:y9c1b.13035$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Sue Bilstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:7z11b.122690$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > How hard would it be to get a data feed out of a GPS - position etc -
> > in a form that could be recorded?
> >

> You could use TUMONZ www.tumonz.co.nz it is a complete map of NZ starting
> price $95 - but may be that has more features than you want. I have a

copy
> but haven't tried the GPS tracking and recording but basically it allows
> you to up and down load way points and track live on the map - providing
> you have a laptop/notebook etc.
>
> --
> Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:52:40 +1200, gblack wrote:

> One minute they're denying that such technology exists and the next
> they're worried that such technology can be used against them..

UK Police freely admit they have bent coppers and are doing their best to
root them out. There have been some fairly high profile prosecutions
reported on BBC news website over the last 2-3 years.

AU police admit they have bent coppers and have had several commissions of
enquiry into the problem

US police admit they have problems and that's one of the reasons cameras
are pretty much mandatory in cars there.

NZ denies it has any police problems at all and anyone making such
accusations tends to be victimised by all the friends of the cop in
question

--
There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
1: opt-in with archived, provable confirmation.