Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Getting hit by swarms of email virus's !

Getting hit by swarms of email virus's !

NZed

Tonight particularly I am getting swarms of viruses being detected by
mailwasher...luckily.
Anyone else suffering the same fate...or is it paradise not filtering them ?

NZed

NZed

Found out whats causing this ...
W32.Sobig.F@mm
http://(E-Mail Removed)
another worm virus that mass mails.

NZed

news:eS%0b.12884$(E-Mail Removed)...

?

> NZed

Nelly

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 20:59:51 +1200, "NZed" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Tonight particularly I am getting swarms of viruses being detected by
>mailwasher...luckily.
>Anyone else suffering the same fate...or is it paradise not filtering them ?
>
>NZed

Yes but they have been blocked and removed by Hotmail and Ihug.

Nelly.
If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours

Fishb8

I got a "delivery failure" message this morning from a UK isp, the person
about whom, I know nothing. It had Sobig in a "wicked screensaver"
attachment, sent at an hour when me and my computer were well and truly
tucked up in bed (not together, you understand). Does this mean someone has
my hotmail password?
Paradise doesn't start their anti-virus/spam service until September.
Roy

Kookaburra

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 08:31:57 +1200, "Fishb8" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Thanks for that reassurance Kooky. I do all my patches/AV updates/Mailwasher
>screening etc but this last couple of weeks have left me a little bit
>paranoid. I bought a 2nd hand computer recently and did a very thorough
>virus/spyware check before using it and found lots and lots of spyware and
>about 7 Trojans. I was thinking I might have missed a Trojan despite doing
>scans from 3 different on-line virus checkers in addition to my own resident
>AV set up.
>Cheers
>Roy

Sounds like you've given the system a thorough work over. I notice
you haven't mentioned a firewall. I hope you're using one.

If not check out http://lists.gpick.com/

Cheers, Kooky

Olof Olsson

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 07:25:33 +1200, "Fishb8" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I got a "delivery failure" message this morning from a UK isp, the person
>about whom, I know nothing. It had Sobig in a "wicked screensaver"
>attachment, sent at an hour when me and my computer were well and truly
>tucked up in bed (not together, you understand). Does this mean someone has
>my hotmail password?
>Paradise doesn't start their anti-virus/spam service until September.
>Roy

The paradise.net and clear.net spam and virus service starts on
September 8.

--Olof

Olof Olsson <(E-Mail Removed)>
There is a difference between knowing the
path and walking the path -- Morpheus

Mainlander

In article <eS%0b.12884$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Tonight particularly I am getting swarms of viruses being detected by
> mailwasher...luckily.
> Anyone else suffering the same fate...or is it paradise not filtering them ?

Every message you get through Paradise's servers, infected or not, will
contain a header saying it was found to be clean.

Mainlander

In article <G091b.12992$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I got a "delivery failure" message this morning from a UK isp, the person
> about whom, I know nothing. It had Sobig in a "wicked screensaver"
> attachment, sent at an hour when me and my computer were well and truly
> tucked up in bed (not together, you understand). Does this mean someone has
> my hotmail password?

No it means they got your email address from somewhere and used it as the
sender.

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 07:25:33 +1200, "Fishb8" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I got a "delivery failure" message this morning from a UK isp, the person
> >about whom, I know nothing. It had Sobig in a "wicked screensaver"
> >attachment, sent at an hour when me and my computer were well and truly
> >tucked up in bed (not together, you understand). Does this mean someone has
> >my hotmail password?
> >Paradise doesn't start their anti-virus/spam service until September.
> >Roy
> >

> The paradise.net and clear.net spam and virus service starts on
> September 8.

My apologies to Paradise, it looks like the header

is generated by the virus, not by any scanning software.