Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Black 21" monitor or maybe 19"

Black 21" monitor or maybe 19"

Dave

Hi, I'm looking at buying my self a nice monitor, main requirments it
being black, 21", and CRT, as my system only has beige k/b & monitor left
to replace, but so far the best I can find is the AOC19KLR black/silver
monitor, so I might have to take that option, as beige is defintley out of
the question.

I have thought about LCD, but last time I looked, I didn't like the
dithering in them, plus CRT is much more cost effective for those sizes,
but I might have to look at LCD again, if I don't have much luck.

Thanks

k y l e

"Don Hills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LhKR/(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Hi, I'm looking at buying my self a nice monitor, main requirments it
> >being black, 21", and CRT, as my system only has beige k/b & monitor

left
> >to replace, but so far the best I can find is the AOC19KLR black/silver
> >monitor, so I might have to take that option, as beige is defintley out

of
> >the question.

> IBM P275 monitor in "Stealth Black". 21" flat screen Trinitron CRT.
> Modes up to 1920x1440@75Hz. 3 year warranty.
> $1326.87 + GST, purchased on the web and delivered to your door.
>
> IBM have matching black keyboards and mice in PS/2 or USB interface too.
> The black is designed to match Thinkpad laptops, although you can buy
> IBM desktops and servers in the same black now.
>
> About now, people will be bashing away at their keyboards, typos spilling
> from their fingers in their haste to tell you that IBM sells overpriced

crap
> and they know of a monitor that's just as good at half the price. Just

bear
> in mind that the P275 is from their "business" range, not their "home" or
> "value" ranges, so you need to compare apples with apples. For example,

IBM
> will sell you a 19" monitor - "for the value conscious customer" - for

only
> $438.20 + GST. And it has a flat screen, and is black, and has a 3 year
> warranty. It's your choice.
>
> I've owned an older IBM P series 21" Trinitron monitor (P200) for several
> years. The picture is superb. Its successor, the P202, was even better. I
> haven't heard anything bad about the P275. If my P200 were to die

tomorrow,
> I'd buy a P275 in an instant. Once you've had a good big one, you'll never
> be happy with less...
>
> --
> Don Hills (dmhills at attglobaldotnet) Wellington, New Zealand

I've just received my new Philips 19'' monitor today, and frankly, it's
f****en great! I'm doing Quake 3 at 1280x720 and 85hz and WOW!!! Certianly
is a step up from my old 14'' HP monitor. Price was only $370 incl gst. If
you want bang for your buck, go for a good brand but cheap price, especially
while crt monitor prices are very attractive right now.

samg

"k y l e" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Zxc1b.13044$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Don Hills" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:LhKR/(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >Hi, I'm looking at buying my self a nice monitor, main requirments
>> >it being black, 21", and CRT, as my system only has beige k/b &
>> >monitor

> left
>> >to replace, but so far the best I can find is the AOC19KLR
>> >black/silver monitor, so I might have to take that option, as beige
>> >is defintley out

> of
>> >the question.

>> IBM P275 monitor in "Stealth Black". 21" flat screen Trinitron CRT.
>> Modes up to 1920x1440@75Hz. 3 year warranty.
>> $1326.87 + GST, purchased on the web and delivered to your door.
>>
>> IBM have matching black keyboards and mice in PS/2 or USB interface
>> too. The black is designed to match Thinkpad laptops, although you
>> can buy IBM desktops and servers in the same black now.
>>
>> About now, people will be bashing away at their keyboards, typos
>> spilling from their fingers in their haste to tell you that IBM sells
>> overpriced

> crap
>> and they know of a monitor that's just as good at half the price.

> I've just received my new Philips 19'' monitor today, and frankly,
> it's f****en great! I'm doing Quake 3 at 1280x720 and 85hz and WOW!!!
> Certianly is a step up from my old 14'' HP monitor.

Jesus do people still use those things?

Richard

> > I've just received my new Philips 19'' monitor today, and frankly,
> > it's f****en great! I'm doing Quake 3 at 1280x720 and 85hz and WOW!!!
> > Certianly is a step up from my old 14'' HP monitor.

> Jesus do people still use those things?

Untill they make a 17" LCD that does 1600x1200, or a 19 that does 1920x1440
then yes.

Also, whats with all the 1280x1024 - thats not 4:3 - should be 1280x960...

k y l e

news:bi42iu$mtl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I've just received my new Philips 19'' monitor today, and frankly,
> > > it's f****en great! I'm doing Quake 3 at 1280x720 and 85hz and WOW!!!
> > > Certianly is a step up from my old 14'' HP monitor.

> > Jesus do people still use those things?

> Untill they make a 17" LCD that does 1600x1200, or a 19 that does

1920x1440
> then yes.
>
> Also, whats with all the 1280x1024 - thats not 4:3 - should be 1280x960...

ooops that should be 1280 x 1024 for Quake3 (no idea where the 720 came
from...gulp)

And actually YES!!! my new Phillips 19'' is currently on 1920x1440 @85hz
right now as an experiment, and geez, why would you want this for a desktop
resolution? This is microscopic! I can barely see what I am typing here!
Maybe for gaming purposes, yes...but even then you would want to wait a
while for a grunty cpu/ vidcard to be released that will allow a
stutter-free game. Eeeeeeeew, I'm going to put it back to default settings
now. This 1920x1440 sucks - it's worse than 1024x768 on my old 14'' (can
there be any worse hell for one's eyes) )

(**changes display resolution**)

Ahhhh that's better. For those of you looking to upgrade to larger monitors,
19'' provides good value for money at the moment. You can get a 17'' for
$250, a 19'' for $350, then for a 21'' the price suddenly skyrockets to
about $1450. Weird. And if you want LCD, well they are far too overpriced
for the value they provide. Especially with regards to gaming and digital
entertainment. [GUSHING AND COOING=ON]Which reminds me, GTA Vice City looks
very nice at high res too....far superior to its PlayStation2 counterpart.
Ahhh the joys of a new monitor, enjoying games in their splendour
[GUSHING AND COOING=OFF]

Dave

Thanks for the replys, I didn't realise that the IBM monitor existed and I
will quite possibly be getting that one, as soon as I can afford it of
course.