Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Tracking ADSL outages?

Re: Tracking ADSL outages?

Chris Mayhew

Col^ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:25:23 GMT, Chris Mayhew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>back again <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:Xns93DDD7934650Ebacknowherecom@130.133.1. 4:
>>
>>> I'm using jetstart via Paradise, and it seems to have gotten less
>>> reliable recently.
>>>
>>> Is there any good Windows freeware out there that can keep track of
>>> connectivity and generate nice graphs?
>>>
>>> eg: software that pings an IP address regularly (eg., a Paradise DNS
>>> server every half hour), and display an extended graph of the
>>> results over different intervals (eg., today, this week, last month,
>>> this month, this year etc).
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Mark
>>>

>>Interesting, I have had my first 3 outages in the last 2 weeks after a
>>year or more of faultless service. Using Jetstart via Paradise as
>>well

> There has been at least 5 outages in the last 30 days . SOme for up to
> 3 hours. I use Paradise Jetstart . THe authentication server has
> crapped it's pants every time. I also get periods of inactivity where
> nothing can access the net . These mini outages last for anything from
> 1 to 3 minutes . Pain in the arse. Paradise used to be a top ISP but
> nowadays i am not so sure. The haven't the brains to put a message on
> the 0800 number to avoid long waits to inform them "Your
> authentication server is down again"

OK, so it's been worse than I realised. I never bothered to phone the help
desk cause of delays etc getting through.

These micro outages are interesting. I have a Dynalink RTA020 Router which
just stops responding from time to time - use to be days apart now
sometimes every day. There are no error lights on the Router - it just
stops working and switching the Router off and then back on again gets
things moving again. Is this the same as your "Micro Outage" problem ?

--
Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

Col^

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:34:33 GMT, Chris Mayhew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Col^ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:25:23 GMT, Chris Mayhew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>back again <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>>news:Xns93DDD7934650Ebacknowherecom@130.133.1.4 :

>>>Interesting, I have had my first 3 outages in the last 2 weeks after a
>>>year or more of faultless service. Using Jetstart via Paradise as
>>>well

>> There has been at least 5 outages in the last 30 days . SOme for up to
>> 3 hours. I use Paradise Jetstart . THe authentication server has
>> crapped it's pants every time. I also get periods of inactivity where
>> nothing can access the net . These mini outages last for anything from
>> 1 to 3 minutes . Pain in the arse. Paradise used to be a top ISP but
>> nowadays i am not so sure. The haven't the brains to put a message on
>> the 0800 number to avoid long waits to inform them "Your
>> authentication server is down again"

>OK, so it's been worse than I realised. I never bothered to phone the help
>desk cause of delays etc getting through.
>
>These micro outages are interesting. I have a Dynalink RTA020 Router which
>just stops responding from time to time - use to be days apart now
>sometimes every day. There are no error lights on the Router - it just
>stops working and switching the Router off and then back on again gets
>things moving again. Is this the same as your "Micro Outage" problem ?

It seems as if it is . all the connections on programs like AIM and mIRC just
drop out . The connection to the Dslam stay connected. it is as if Paradise drop
off the ADSL system for a minute or so .

--

Col

Col's law.
Thinly sliced cabbage..

PseUDO

"Col^" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:34:33 GMT, Chris Mayhew
> It seems as if it is . all the connections on programs like AIM and mIRC

just
> drop out . The connection to the Dslam stay connected. it is as if

Paradise drop
> off the ADSL system for a minute or so .
>
> --
>
> Col
>
> Col's law.
> Thinly sliced cabbage..

Mines being doing the same with adsl jetstart with paradise, and the
connection to the dslam is still their, but no activity , i also tried
connecting to the jetstreamgames server and no activity their either, so it
must be the adsl side of things.

Can anybody make a connection to the jetstreamgames server when their
connection to paradise is lost??

PseUDO