Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP Dialup/modem woes

XP Dialup/modem woes

bAZZ

Hi all

XP pro was running fine until yesterday when suddenly it dropped modem
connection and could not access net at all. It would dial out OK and report
50.6kbs etc and I could ping xtra Ok but that was it. IE,Outlook,Gravity etc
all cannot find host etc etc etc.

Have checked most obviuos things ( modem/tcp/dialup networking/com ports
etc). Reinstalled xtra dial up connection,modem, and such. No joy. Even
tried stuff like flushing dns cache but still it persists.

Any ideas anyone ?

TIA
bAZZ

bAZZ

"bAZZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FiD0b.121419$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>
> XP pro was running fine until yesterday when suddenly it dropped modem
> connection and could not access net at all. It would dial out OK and

report
> 50.6kbs etc and I could ping xtra Ok but that was it. IE,Outlook,Gravity

etc
> all cannot find host etc etc etc.
>
> Have checked most obviuos things ( modem/tcp/dialup networking/com ports
> etc). Reinstalled xtra dial up connection,modem, and such. No joy. Even
> tried stuff like flushing dns cache but still it persists.
>
> Any ideas anyone ?
>
> TIA
> bAZZ

The above XP has service pack1 and most updates and also runs kaspersky
firewall so doubt mblast could be at fault.

Forgot to add that this is posted from same machine using same modem
(external conexant) in win2000. Was still sitting on 2nd HDD and have not
gotten around to removing it.
Sheesh..............as I write this......
Only had SPK1 and no updates but running AVG just picked up......yep....
F&^%%$^king mblast.exe. Must have gotten it this arvo when checking mail
etc. Ah well time to fdisk this drive anyway once I solve XP probs. Can this
infection of mblast affect the XP installation at all on seperate drive ?

---

Howard Johnson

"bAZZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FiD0b.121419$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>
> XP pro was running fine until yesterday when suddenly it dropped modem
> connection and could not access net at all. It would dial out OK and

report
> 50.6kbs etc and I could ping xtra Ok but that was it. IE,Outlook,Gravity

etc
> all cannot find host etc etc etc.
>
> Have checked most obviuos things ( modem/tcp/dialup networking/com ports
> etc). Reinstalled xtra dial up connection,modem, and such. No joy. Even
> tried stuff like flushing dns cache but still it persists.
>
> Any ideas anyone ?
>
> TIA
> bAZZ

start run cmd
ipconfig /registerdns
might help
ipconfig /? gives the help screen

bAZZ

"Howard Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MxD0b.12635$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "bAZZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:FiD0b.121419$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all
> >
> > XP pro was running fine until yesterday when suddenly it dropped modem
> > connection and could not access net at all. It would dial out OK and

> report
> > 50.6kbs etc and I could ping xtra Ok but that was it. IE,Outlook,Gravity

> etc
> > all cannot find host etc etc etc.
> >
> > Have checked most obviuos things ( modem/tcp/dialup networking/com ports
> > etc). Reinstalled xtra dial up connection,modem, and such. No joy. Even
> > tried stuff like flushing dns cache but still it persists.
> >
> > Any ideas anyone ?
> >
> > TIA
> > bAZZ
> >

> start run cmd
> ipconfig /registerdns
> might help
> ipconfig /? gives the help screen

Thanx for the suggestion Howard but no joy. It registered OK but still same
problem persists.
I did run ipconfig /all as well and there is no mention of the modem in
there just the NIC. Is this usual as I would have thought it were part of
(dial-up)networking.

bAZZ
Another suggestion was to check lmhosts file but there is none in the XP
install but I found one here in win2000. Is this usual ?

---

bAZZ

"colinco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <FiD0b.121419$(E-Mail Removed)>, bAZZ wrote...
> > Hi all
> >
> > XP pro was running fine until yesterday when suddenly it dropped modem
> > connection and could not access net at all. It would dial out OK and

report
> > 50.6kbs etc and I could ping xtra Ok but that was it. IE,Outlook,Gravity

etc
> > all cannot find host etc etc etc.
> >
> > Have checked most obviuos things ( modem/tcp/dialup networking/com ports
> > etc). Reinstalled xtra dial up connection,modem, and such. No joy. Even
> > tried stuff like flushing dns cache but still it persists.
> >
> > Any ideas anyone ?
> >
> > TIA
> > bAZZ
> >

> I've been getting a lot of sites not found 1st attempt on a 98 PC last
> few days - xtra DNS ??

That was my first thought but 3-4 refreshes or attempts still didn't help
and Xtra's helpdesk assured me that all was OK.
What is annoying is that the modem will dial and connect/handshake etc and
then nothing works. But all fine in 2000. Wierd.

bAZZ

---

Wombus

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:03:40 +1200, bAZZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Hi all
>
> XP pro was running fine until yesterday when suddenly it dropped modem
> connection and could not access net at all. It would dial out OK and
> report
> 50.6kbs etc and I could ping xtra Ok but that was it. IE,Outlook,Gravity
> etc
> all cannot find host etc etc etc.
>
> Have checked most obviuos things ( modem/tcp/dialup networking/com ports
> etc). Reinstalled xtra dial up connection,modem, and such. No joy. Even
> tried stuff like flushing dns cache but still it persists.
>
> Any ideas anyone ?
>
> TIA
> bAZZ

Man thats wierd... only just seen this post but i can tell you bazz that 2
nights ago i had the exact same problem as you!!! No it was not the Blaster
worm... and i'm dialing up with clear Net. drove me nuts, dial up would
handshake and connect fine but then no access to the net. Bazz your
symptoms exactly match mine.... my fix was simple, used system restore and
went back 2 days... I'll be buggerd if i know what caused it though ???

James West

not been reading the news then?

http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-2582713,00.html

--
..
"bAZZ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FiD0b.121419$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>
> XP pro was running fine until yesterday when suddenly it dropped modem
> connection and could not access net at all. It would dial out OK and

report
> 50.6kbs etc and I could ping xtra Ok but that was it. IE,Outlook,Gravity

etc
> all cannot find host etc etc etc.
>
> Have checked most obviuos things ( modem/tcp/dialup networking/com ports
> etc). Reinstalled xtra dial up connection,modem, and such. No joy. Even
> tried stuff like flushing dns cache but still it persists.
>
> Any ideas anyone ?
>
> TIA
> bAZZ

Wally

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:40:15 +1200, Wombus <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:03:40 +1200, bAZZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> XP pro was running fine until yesterday when suddenly it dropped modem
>> connection and could not access net at all. It would dial out OK and
>> report
>> 50.6kbs etc and I could ping xtra Ok but that was it. IE,Outlook,Gravity
>> etc
>> all cannot find host etc etc etc.
>>
>> Have checked most obviuos things ( modem/tcp/dialup networking/com ports
>> etc). Reinstalled xtra dial up connection,modem, and such. No joy. Even
>> tried stuff like flushing dns cache but still it persists.
>>
>> Any ideas anyone ?
>>
>> TIA
>> bAZZ
>>

>Man thats wierd... only just seen this post but i can tell you bazz that 2
>nights ago i had the exact same problem as you!!! No it was not the Blaster
>worm... and i'm dialing up with clear Net. drove me nuts, dial up would
>handshake and connect fine but then no access to the net. Bazz your
>symptoms exactly match mine.... my fix was simple, used system restore and
>went back 2 days... I'll be buggerd if i know what caused it though ???

Last saturday nite some IP address`s were dead, i just redialed until
i got a differnt IP range.

cheers

Henry Falkner

> I thought so too but I am connected now thru Xtra on same machine but

using
> win2000. When I reboot and try from XP everything is dead so doubt it is
> Xtra ( but I still initially hounded their help desk but to no avail) as

I'm
> chugging along nicely ATM.

This reminds me of a networking problem I created for myself on a laptop
running Win98SE. I uninstalled a wireless setup running through a PCI card.
Now the neighbourhood network tells me that the network is not accessible.
Just once I got an error message saying that a resource is missing. Some
resources are held in options\cabs, and some uninstallation processes do
muck around in there. The recovery disk will trash all my stuff of course. I
will have to transfer the stuff I want to keep with Zip disks.

Henry