Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Protecting your home computer

Protecting your home computer

Joe Bloggs

Just a short message to say that if you're not an 'expert', you might want
to look at http://www.microsoft.com/protect

This web page has basically the same information as the textual steps below,
just a little more detail and some pictures that help.
Have a browse around the site - there's also a good section for Home Users
that have some good articles.

> Below is a summary of how to protect your computer better from this and
> other viruses/worms. This information is from the
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ web site.
>
> For more specific information on the blaster worm see
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp - it includes steps

on
> how to remove the virus.
>

> __________________________________________________ ________________________
>
> Here is what to do to get protected and stay protected.
>

> 1. First, turn on the Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP.

Having
> the firewall activated will protect your computer from this security issue
> as well as many many others. Even if your computer has already been
> infected, activating firewall software will help limit the effects of the
> worm on your computer.
>

> The fine print: If you have multiple machines, you should use the Home
> network configuration wizard. In the multiple machine case only the
> Internet facing computer (the computer attached to the Internet directly

and
> not the other computers in the home that sharing the Internet connection)
> should have the firewall enabled via the instructions below. Please note
> that the firewall can disable some internet software, services and

features.
> However, if this happens you can selectively correct these issues by
> adjusting how the firewall works. For the vast majority of users this
> change will be totally transparent. Your email and browsing experience

for
> example should not be impacted in any way. In some cases you may have to
> "open a port" for a feature to work. I don't describe how to alter those
> secondary settings here. If you run servers in your house, etc., then

you
> are technical enough that this message isn't intented for you. If you
> experience any changes to your internet software, services or features,
> please call 1-866-PCSAFETY if you can't figure it out or check our web

site
> for more information.
>

> The instructions:
>
> 1. Open Network Connections (Click Start, click Control Panel, and

then

(http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...ap_details.jsp)

> o Tiny Personal Firewall
> (http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?la=EN)
>
> o Outpost Firewall
> (http://www.agnitum.com/download/outpostfree.html)
>
> o Kerio Personal Firewall
> (http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_download.html)
>
> o BlackICE PC Protection
> (http://blackice.iss.net/product_pc_protection.php)
>

> 2. Second, configure AutoUpdate for Windows Update for Windows XP. While
> your computer is connected to the Internet, the Automatic Updates feature

in
> Windows XP looks for updates and downloads any that are available. By

using
> the scheduled downloads feature, you will automate the essential second

step
> of actually installing the updates once they are downloaded (and not see
> those pop-up balloon reminders).
>
> 1. Open System Properties (Click Start, click Control Panel, click
> Performance and Maintenance, click the System icon to open the System
> Properties dialogue box. (If the Performance and Maintenance category is
> not visible, click Switch to Category View under Control Panel on the left
> side of the Control Panel window)
>
> 2. Click the Automatic Updates tab. If the check box next to Keep my
> computer up to date is clear, click it to select it.
>
> 3. Schedule Regular Installs. On the Automatic Updates tab, under
> Settings, click Automatically download the updates, and install them on

the
> schedule that I specify. From the lists provided, select a day and time

for
> your computer to install downloaded updates. Be sure to pick a day and

time
> when your computer is usually turned on.
>
> 4. Click OK to apply your changes and close the dialog box.
>
> If you are not running Windows XP, you can still use Windows Update. More
> information on downloading updates can be found at
> www.microsoft.com/security
>

> 3. Third, use antivirus software and make sure you have the latest

updates

(http://us.mcafee.com/root/catalog.asp?catid=av)

(http://www.trendmicro.com/en/product...ate/overview.h
> tm)
>
> o Symantec (http://www.symantec.com/product/index_homecomp.html)

Rider

"Joe Bloggs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NpC0b.15403$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just a short message to say that if you're not an 'expert', you might want
> to look at http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Easiest way for "end users" to protect themselves, and not screw up their
computers ......

DONT TURN IT ON!!!!!!