Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Jetstream usage meter lag??

Jetstream usage meter lag??

Alan

I started a new Jetstream billing period this morning (labelled 20 Aug to 19
Sept) and I've noticed that by 7:40 a.m. I'd already consumed 160MB. I did
download some software *yesterday afternoon* - trying to use up some of the
400MB I have left from last period but certainly didn't download 160MB in my
first 10 minutes of work this morning. Is there some lag in the Telecom
Jetstream usage meter? I'm a bit miffed that the data I moved on the last
day of last period has been billed against this period. Has anyone else
noticed this?

Alan

Russell Smithies

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsvw0b.12534$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I started a new Jetstream billing period this morning (labelled 20 Aug to

19
> Sept) and I've noticed that by 7:40 a.m. I'd already consumed 160MB. I did
> download some software *yesterday afternoon* - trying to use up some of

the
> 400MB I have left from last period but certainly didn't download 160MB in

my
> first 10 minutes of work this morning. Is there some lag in the Telecom
> Jetstream usage meter? I'm a bit miffed that the data I moved on the last
> day of last period has been billed against this period. Has anyone else
> noticed this?
>
> Alan

I've often found this.
I complained once and was told I'd agreed to the T & C which states their
meter is always right and tough **** if you disagree.

Russell

cowboyz

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsvw0b.12534$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I started a new Jetstream billing period this morning (labelled 20 Aug to

19
> Sept) and I've noticed that by 7:40 a.m. I'd already consumed 160MB. I did
> download some software *yesterday afternoon* - trying to use up some of

the
> 400MB I have left from last period but certainly didn't download 160MB in

my
> first 10 minutes of work this morning. Is there some lag in the Telecom
> Jetstream usage meter? I'm a bit miffed that the data I moved on the last
> day of last period has been billed against this period. Has anyone else
> noticed this?
>
> Alan

I havent found this myself but if they are going to pull tricks like this
then they should also roll over the *unused* cap to the next month. I
really wouldn't mind a 2G cap if I could save up for that month that I might
want to download 10G.

--
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

Howard

Russell Smithies wrote:

> I've often found this.
> I complained once and was told I'd agreed to the T & C which states
> their meter is always right and tough **** if you disagree.

Notwithstanding anyting in their T&Cs. It still a breech of the Fair Trading
Act & The Consumer Guarantees Act, provided you can prove you case.

Robert Mathews

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:22:00 +1200, "Russell Smithies"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>newsvw0b.12534$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I started a new Jetstream billing period this morning (labelled 20 Aug to

>19
>> Sept) and I've noticed that by 7:40 a.m. I'd already consumed 160MB. I did
>> download some software *yesterday afternoon* - trying to use up some of

>the
>> 400MB I have left from last period but certainly didn't download 160MB in

>my
>> first 10 minutes of work this morning. Is there some lag in the Telecom
>> Jetstream usage meter? I'm a bit miffed that the data I moved on the last
>> day of last period has been billed against this period. Has anyone else
>> noticed this?
>>
>> Alan
>>

>I've often found this.
>I complained once and was told I'd agreed to the T & C which states their
>meter is always right and tough **** if you disagree.
>
>Russell

Install Netstate live and monitor your own..

Aaron Lawrence

Thus spake cowboyz:
> I havent found this myself but if they are going to pull tricks like this
> then they should also roll over the *unused* cap to the next month. I
> really wouldn't mind a 2G cap if I could save up for that month that I might
> want to download 10G.

Nice idea, but the idea of caps and such is to help smooth out demand so
there aren't big peaks...

(Well, and make a lot of money of course

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
http://homepages.visp.co.nz/~aaronlawrence

ron

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:18:50 +1200, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I started a new Jetstream billing period this morning (labelled 20 Aug to 19
>Sept) and I've noticed that by 7:40 a.m. I'd already consumed 160MB. I did
>download some software *yesterday afternoon* - trying to use up some of the
>400MB I have left from last period but certainly didn't download 160MB in my
>first 10 minutes of work this morning. Is there some lag in the Telecom
>Jetstream usage meter? I'm a bit miffed that the data I moved on the last
>day of last period has been billed against this period. Has anyone else
>noticed this?
>
>Alan

I have found that this happens if I stay online after midnight when
the new period ticks in - i.e. if I am on line in the evening leading
up to the deadline, with say 50MB downloaded in that session trying to
use up my allowance, I need to disconnect before midnight to have that
50MB logged to the expiring month. If I stay online after midnight it
gets logged to the new month.
At least that is the impression I have gained and I have several times
run to five minutes before midnight, with it being correctly assigned
to the expiring month.
Ron

Alan

As a follow up I checked the usage meter again yesterday afternoon and the
160MB had been moved back to previous period. I don't know whether this is
normal behaviour or some sort of anomaly but at least it corrected itself.

Alan

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsvw0b.12534$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I started a new Jetstream billing period this morning (labelled 20 Aug to

19
> Sept) and I've noticed that by 7:40 a.m. I'd already consumed 160MB. I did
> download some software *yesterday afternoon* - trying to use up some of

the
> 400MB I have left from last period but certainly didn't download 160MB in

my
> first 10 minutes of work this morning. Is there some lag in the Telecom
> Jetstream usage meter? I'm a bit miffed that the data I moved on the last
> day of last period has been billed against this period. Has anyone else
> noticed this?
>
> Alan

ron

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:26:42 +1200, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>As a follow up I checked the usage meter again yesterday afternoon and the
>160MB had been moved back to previous period. I don't know whether this is
>normal behaviour or some sort of anomaly but at least it corrected itself.
>
>Alan
>
>"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>newsvw0b.12534$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I started a new Jetstream billing period this morning (labelled 20 Aug to

>19
>> Sept) and I've noticed that by 7:40 a.m. I'd already consumed 160MB. I did
>> download some software *yesterday afternoon* - trying to use up some of

>the
>> 400MB I have left from last period but certainly didn't download 160MB in

>my
>> first 10 minutes of work this morning. Is there some lag in the Telecom
>> Jetstream usage meter? I'm a bit miffed that the data I moved on the last
>> day of last period has been billed against this period. Has anyone else
>> noticed this?
>>
>> Alan

Yeah, I've noticed it do that once - but *so far* it has always billed
usage to the right period if I log off before midnight on changeover
day.
Ron

Need a usage meter suggestion Terry Computer Support 5 04-25-2007 12:44 AM
Usage Meter Linz Wireless Networking 1 12-01-2005 01:37 AM
Jetstream Usage Meter - FUBAR again? steve NZ Computing 0 01-20-2005 10:17 AM
Jetstream usage meter broken Rob NZ Computing 8 05-04-2004 07:13 AM
DSL usage meter Greg NZ Computing 7 01-04-2004 11:32 PM

Advertisments