Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Reprogram microphone port?

Re: Reprogram microphone port?

SteveM

"Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
news:bhsmsp$kb5$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a C-Media 8738 6-Channel onboard sound chip. When configured in
> 6-Channel mode, the microphone port acts as a speaker. Does anybody
> know if I can stay in normal mode and have the microphone port act as
> a speaker out as well?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stuart

Your motherboard should have the ability to accept some extra audio
headers for the rear and sub/centre speakers. (My Gigabte board does)

You can then run the sound in any "mode" (Stereo, 4 way, 5.1) you choose
and still have the line-in and mic connectors free for their intended
use.

Have a chat to your reseller or look on the MB manufacturers website for
optional cables etc...

SteveM

Russell Smithies

"SteveM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns93DCEA7192E8sdmccremovemeparadis@202.20.93 .13...
> "Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
> news:bhsmsp$kb5$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I have a C-Media 8738 6-Channel onboard sound chip. When configured in
> > 6-Channel mode, the microphone port acts as a speaker. Does anybody
> > know if I can stay in normal mode and have the microphone port act as
> > a speaker out as well?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Stuart
> >

> Your motherboard should have the ability to accept some extra audio
> headers for the rear and sub/centre speakers. (My Gigabte board does)
>
> You can then run the sound in any "mode" (Stereo, 4 way, 5.1) you choose
> and still have the line-in and mic connectors free for their intended
> use.
>
> Have a chat to your reseller or look on the MB manufacturers website for
> optional cables etc...
>
> SteveM

There's no need for a header on the Asus boards using this chip.
If you want 6 channel, you set it in the mixer software and plug the
bass/centre connector into the mic jack.

Russell

Richard

> There's no need for a header on the Asus boards using this chip.
> If you want 6 channel, you set it in the mixer software and plug the
> bass/centre connector into the mic jack.

Big problem with this method is the bias voltage for the mic when its in mic
mode makes a loud thump as the machine boots.

I hate how my shuttle machine has no ability to have a line in on it, even
tho the socket is blue (line in colour) its an output only.

Robert Mathews

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:34:40 +1200, "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> There's no need for a header on the Asus boards using this chip.
>> If you want 6 channel, you set it in the mixer software and plug the
>> bass/centre connector into the mic jack.

>Big problem with this method is the bias voltage for the mic when its in mic
>mode makes a loud thump as the machine boots.
>
>I hate how my shuttle machine has no ability to have a line in on it, even
>tho the socket is blue (line in colour) its an output only.

Fit a decent Audio card..

Russell Smithies

news:bhufn6$e48$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > There's no need for a header on the Asus boards using this chip.
> > If you want 6 channel, you set it in the mixer software and plug the
> > bass/centre connector into the mic jack.

> Big problem with this method is the bias voltage for the mic when its in

mic
> mode makes a loud thump as the machine boots.
>
> I hate how my shuttle machine has no ability to have a line in on it, even
> tho the socket is blue (line in colour) its an output only.

is that what that noise is

Russell

SteveM

"Russell Smithies" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Nmy0b.121147$(E-Mail Removed):

> "SteveM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns93DCEA7192E8sdmccremovemeparadis@202.20.93 .13...
>> "Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in
>> news:bhsmsp$kb5$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > I have a C-Media 8738 6-Channel onboard sound chip. When configured

in
>> > 6-Channel mode, the microphone port acts as a speaker. Does anybody
>> > know if I can stay in normal mode and have the microphone port act

as
>> > a speaker out as well?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Stuart
>> >

>> Your motherboard should have the ability to accept some extra audio
>> headers for the rear and sub/centre speakers. (My Gigabte board does)
>>
>> You can then run the sound in any "mode" (Stereo, 4 way, 5.1) you

choose
>> and still have the line-in and mic connectors free for their intended
>> use.
>>
>> Have a chat to your reseller or look on the MB manufacturers website

for
>> optional cables etc...
>>
>> SteveM

> There's no need for a header on the Asus boards using this chip.
> If you want 6 channel, you set it in the mixer software and plug the
> bass/centre connector into the mic jack.
>
> Russell

I think the idea the OP wanted was to be able to use the Mic input while
running the sound in 4 way surround or above. My solution covers this
requirement.

SteveM