Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: EMI Protected Audio Disks..

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: EMI Protected Audio Disks..

 
 
M
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2003

"Uncle StoatWarbler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:27:47 +0200, Philip Crookes wrote:
>
> >> > >> Elvis' earliest songs should be passing into the public domain

very
> >> > >> soon now.

>
> >> > Uh. that's 50 years after the death of the author, not from

production.
> >> >
> >> > IIRC the NZ govt is under pressure to alter copyright in line with

the
> >> > Mickey Mouse law

>
> >> 23.Duration of copyright in sound recordings and films-
> >> (1)Copyright in a sound recording or film expires-
> >> (a)At the end of the period of 50 years from the end of the

> > calendar
> >> year in which the work is made; or

>
> That's the recording itself, there's still the author's copyright to be
> aware of.


Is that right.

Reference ?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mutley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2003

Didn't Disney apply to get Mickey products copy right extended to
something like 80 years recently?? No doubt will try for 200 years
when that expires..

>> >
>> > I wonder if this means kiwis can repackage the early mickey mouse

>cartoons
>> > and sell them on the internet to all comers, even yanks where they're

>still
>> > under copyright?

>>
>> Uh. that's 50 years after the death of the author, not from production.
>>
>> IIRC the NZ govt is under pressure to alter copyright in line with the
>> Mickey Mouse law

>
>
>Not so.
>
>Copyright Act 1994
>
>23.Duration of copyright in sound recordings and films-
> (1)Copyright in a sound recording or film expires-
> (a)At the end of the period of 50 years from the end of the calendar
>year in which the work is made; or
> (b)If it is made available to the public by an authorised act before
>the end of that period, 50 years from the end of the calendar year in which
>it is so made available, whichever is the later.
> (2)For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section, a sound recording
>or film is made available to the public when-
> (a)The work is first-
> (i)Published; or
> (ii)Broadcast; or
> (iii)Included in a cable programme service; or
> (b)In the case of a film or film sound track,-
> (i)The work is first shown in public; or
> (ii)The work is first played in public.
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mutley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2003
"Philip Crookes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:



>>

>So why do DVDs of classic flix so often come with the dire region codes on
>them? Mind you there is an issue with classic movies - if there's no
>copyright in the classics, who is going to maintain the negatives and make
>certain there are high quality prints for the future?
>

Regional coding was a marketing ploy to screw even more money out the
buyer..


>Perhaps we should after all support Turner's 'colorization' process -
>because at least to issue a 'colorized' version of the movie they first have
>to strike a brand new print of it, which might otherwise never have been
>made. And it's not that difficult to lose the colour information and restore
>a presentable black-and-white version. Now all we need is a medium with the
>same qualities as nitrate film, but without the tendency to deliquesce into
>TNT.
>
>Philip
>
>
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mutley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2003
"Uncle StoatWarbler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:27:47 +0200, Philip Crookes wrote:
>
>>> > >> Elvis' earliest songs should be passing into the public domain very
>>> > >> soon now.

>
>>> > Uh. that's 50 years after the death of the author, not from production.
>>> >
>>> > IIRC the NZ govt is under pressure to alter copyright in line with the
>>> > Mickey Mouse law

>
>>> 23.Duration of copyright in sound recordings and films-
>>> (1)Copyright in a sound recording or film expires-
>>> (a)At the end of the period of 50 years from the end of the

>> calendar
>>> year in which the work is made; or

>
>That's the recording itself, there's still the author's copyright to be
>aware of.
>
>> So why do DVDs of classic flix so often come with the dire region codes on
>> them?

>
>Because the MPAA, who control DVD codes, mandate that all DVDs must be
>region coded. There are some region 0 disks, but they're not common -
>manga and suchlike mainly. ISTR the BBC tried region 0 to ease their
>distribution issues and got stomped on.
>
>
>

Close. The MPA said that they would not release any of their product
on DVD unless some form of regional coding was implemented. It was
only supposed to go on new release products but greedy Hollywood
insisted on putting it on a their DVDs. Some older DVDs are R0 coded.

I suspect regional coding is something that is put on buy commercial
DVD authoring programs because the home versions don't have that
feature..

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: EMI Protected Audio Disks.. rj NZ Computing 5 08-22-2003 11:27 PM
Re: EMI Protected Audio Disks.. Peter S NZ Computing 6 08-19-2003 09:46 AM
3550 -- SMI vs. EMI Rick Kunkel Cisco 2 07-16-2003 01:41 AM
Catalyst 3550 EMI Upgrade Kit (CD-3550-EMI=) problem! show version = SMI desdronox Cisco 1 07-10-2003 02:08 AM
Difference between "Protected WithEvents myClassName" And "Protected myClassName" ? Andreas Klemt ASP .Net 2 07-05-2003 12:51 AM



Advertisments