Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Protecting your computer from worms/viruses

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Protecting your computer from worms/viruses

 
 
Vogan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2003

>
> 1. First, turn on the Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP.

Having
> the firewall activated will protect your computer from this security issue
> as well as many many others. Even if your computer has already been
> infected, activating firewall software will help limit the effects of the
> worm on your computer.
>


<SNIP>

I do not have much faith in ICF. I fixed up a machine that had blaster and
ICF turned on. I only trust a decent third party firewall. I use Tiny
Personal Firewall which spared me from blaster

Cheers
Vaughan


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert Mathews
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2003
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:38:04 +1200, "Vogan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>>
>> 1. First, turn on the Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP.

>Having
>> the firewall activated will protect your computer from this security issue
>> as well as many many others. Even if your computer has already been
>> infected, activating firewall software will help limit the effects of the
>> worm on your computer.
>>

>
><SNIP>
>
>I do not have much faith in ICF. I fixed up a machine that had blaster and
>ICF turned on. I only trust a decent third party firewall. I use Tiny
>Personal Firewall which spared me from blaster
>
>Cheers
>Vaughan
>




Simple use the XP updates..


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Invisible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2003
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:35:53 +1200, Robert Mathews <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:38:04 +1200, "Vogan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>>>
>>> 1. First, turn on the Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP.

>>Having
>>> the firewall activated will protect your computer from this security issue
>>> as well as many many others. Even if your computer has already been
>>> infected, activating firewall software will help limit the effects of the
>>> worm on your computer.
>>>

>>
>><SNIP>
>>
>>I do not have much faith in ICF. I fixed up a machine that had blaster and
>>ICF turned on. I only trust a decent third party firewall. I use Tiny
>>Personal Firewall which spared me from blaster
>>
>>Cheers
>>Vaughan
>>

>
>
>
>Simple use the XP updates..


Any you're the first to bitch when a latest update slows down your PC.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Mathews
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2003
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:27:39 +1200, Invisible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:35:53 +1200, Robert Mathews <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:38:04 +1200, "Vogan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>>
>>>> 1. First, turn on the Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP.
>>>Having
>>>> the firewall activated will protect your computer from this security issue
>>>> as well as many many others. Even if your computer has already been
>>>> infected, activating firewall software will help limit the effects of the
>>>> worm on your computer.
>>>>
>>>
>>><SNIP>
>>>
>>>I do not have much faith in ICF. I fixed up a machine that had blaster and
>>>ICF turned on. I only trust a decent third party firewall. I use Tiny
>>>Personal Firewall which spared me from blaster
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>Vaughan
>>>

>>
>>
>>
>>Simple use the XP updates..

>
>Any you're the first to bitch when a latest update slows down your PC.
>
>




Come again what in the hell are you on about, at lest I am not a stupid
teenager and know a thing about computers, not like most here.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Nicolaas Hawkins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2003
On 18 Aug 2003 Robert Mathews wrote :

> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:27:39 +1200, Invisible <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:35:53 +1200, Robert Mathews
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:38:04 +1200, "Vogan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> 1. First, turn on the Internet Connection Firewall in Windows
>>>>> XP.
>>>>Having
>>>>> the firewall activated will protect your computer from this
>>>>> security issue as well as many many others. Even if your
>>>>> computer has already been infected, activating firewall software
>>>>> will help limit the effects of the worm on your computer.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>><SNIP>
>>>>
>>>>I do not have much faith in ICF. I fixed up a machine that had
>>>>blaster and ICF turned on. I only trust a decent third party
>>>>firewall. I use Tiny Personal Firewall which spared me from blaster
>>>>
>>>>Cheers
>>>>Vaughan
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>Simple use the XP updates..

>>
>>Any you're the first to bitch when a latest update slows down your PC.
>>
>>

>
>
>
> Come again what in the hell are you on about, at lest I am not a
> stupid teenager and know a thing about computers, not like most here.
>
>
>


Produce evidence of your assertion - REAL evidence - or stand proven to be
full of it, as usual.

--
Nicolaas.


- Society prepares the crime, the criminal commits it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nicolaas Hawkins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2003
On 18 Aug 2003 Robert Mathews wrote :

> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:32:45 +0000 (UTC), Nicolaas Hawkins
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On 18 Aug 2003 Robert Mathews wrote :
>>
>>> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:27:39 +1200, Invisible <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>>On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:35:53 +1200, Robert Mathews
>>>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:38:04 +1200, "Vogan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>>>wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> 1. First, turn on the Internet Connection Firewall in Windows
>>>>>>> XP.
>>>>>>Having
>>>>>>> the firewall activated will protect your computer from this
>>>>>>> security issue as well as many many others. Even if your
>>>>>>> computer has already been infected, activating firewall software
>>>>>>> will help limit the effects of the worm on your computer.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>><SNIP>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>I do not have much faith in ICF. I fixed up a machine that had
>>>>>>blaster and ICF turned on. I only trust a decent third party
>>>>>>firewall. I use Tiny Personal Firewall which spared me from
>>>>>>blaster
>>>>>>
>>>>>>Cheers
>>>>>>Vaughan
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>Simple use the XP updates..
>>>>
>>>>Any you're the first to bitch when a latest update slows down your
>>>>PC.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Come again what in the hell are you on about, at lest I am not a
>>> stupid teenager and know a thing about computers, not like most
>>> here.
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>>Produce evidence of your assertion - REAL evidence - or stand proven
>>to be full of it, as usual.

>
>
>
> What not another teenage Drip..
>
>
>


Definitely not. Probably within ten years of your own age, certainly no
"drip", and not willing to put up with your crap. So stick that in your
choker and squat on it!

--
Nicolaas.


- I may be stupid ... but I'm still a good 50 IQ points ahead of you!
 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2003

"Nicolaas Hawkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhr5lm$dju$(E-Mail Removed)...

> So stick that in your
> choker and squat on it!
>
> --
> Nicolaas.
>
>
> - I may be stupid ... but I'm still a good 50 IQ points ahead of you!


LOL. Way to go Nicolaas.
--
~misfit~



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.510 / Virus Database: 307 - Release Date: 14/08/2003


 
Reply With Quote
 
Invisible
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2003
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:51:56 +1200, Robert Mathews <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>>Simple use the XP updates..

>>
>>Any you're the first to bitch when a latest update slows down your PC.
>>
>>

>
>
>
>Come again what in the hell are you on about, at lest I am not a stupid
>teenager and know a thing about computers, not like most here.
>


So you deny posting FACTS & LINKS about XP patches causing slow downs?



 
Reply With Quote
 
whoa
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2003
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:51:56 +1200, Robert Mathews <(E-Mail Removed)>
said

>
>Come again what in the hell are you on about, at lest I am not a stupid
>teenager and know a thing about computers, not like most here.
>



Yes, but the thing you know was outdated shortly after ERNIE was
commissioned.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Vogan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2003

"Nathan Mercer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Vogan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<gv_%a.12183$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > I do not have much faith in ICF. I fixed up a machine that had blaster

and
> > ICF turned on. I only trust a decent third party firewall. I use Tiny
> > Personal Firewall which spared me from blaster

>
> Nice anecdotal story, but I don't believe blaster came through your
> machine with ICF enabled. If ICF was on, on your exposed interfaces,
> then port 135 would be dropped, msblaster worm could never have
> exploited your rpc dcom interface.
>
> Makes no difference what sort of firewall you are running in this
> regard. A drop or a block is exactly the same.


It is a true story tho, the machine had ICF enabled and still got blaster.
The main reason I don't like ICF is the lack of control over the firewall.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Protecting your ID! public_info@cox.net Computer Support 4 10-01-2005 06:13 PM
Instructions for protecting your Windows computer Joe Bloggs NZ Computing 10 05-02-2004 10:58 PM
Re: Protecting your computer from worms/viruses ~misfit~ NZ Computing 7 08-22-2003 07:20 AM
Re: Protecting your computer from worms/viruses Robert Mathews NZ Computing 5 08-21-2003 03:44 AM
Protecting your home computer Joe Bloggs NZ Computing 1 08-20-2003 04:12 AM



Advertisments