Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > CPU Noise????

Reply
Thread Tools

CPU Noise????

 
 
back again
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2003
"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bhs2c2$2p3$(E-Mail Removed):

> Subject: Re: CPU Noise????
> From: "Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: nz.comp
>
>
> "back again" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns93DC76C8A6D18backnowherecom@130.133.1.4...
>> "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:bhq771$gna$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > Subject: Re: CPU Noise????
>> > From: "Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> > Newsgroups: nz.comp
>> >
>> > Rider wrote:
>> >> Anyone ever have a CPU make noise? Customer has a laptop and its
>> >> making what sounds like a sraping noise. I would make the noise
>> >> for you but its hard to spell LOL
>> >>
>> >> It seems to make this noise mainly when the cpu is doing alot of
>> >> work, when the laptop isnt doing much the noise isnt there. I've
>> >> stripped the laptop down and localised the noise to where the cpu
>> >> is and cant really think of anything that is in the area that
>> >> might make noise.
>> >>
>> >> Very odd, any help is appreciated.
>> >
>> > May be coming from the sound card. On my laptop you can "hear" the
>> > CPU working through the speakers. High workload = high power
>> > consumption and the sound chip doesn't cope with the tiny ripples.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Nicholas Sherlock
>> >

>>
>>
>> At least one model of Compaq had that problem (design fault). I would
>> suspect that if the sound "comes from the CPU" that it might actually
>> be a nearby capaciter, having a CPU make noise would be really,
>> really weird!

>
> And I suppose there is no fix for this, any idea?
>
> Rider




Turn it off? Sorry, no.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rider
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2003
> Turn it off? Sorry, no.

Yep well I think I am going to have to admit defeat on this one. Not
something I either do very often or like doing but it has me stumped. I
think I will just sell the guy some earplugs

Thanks all who had some idea's ... it is appreciated.

Rider



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rider
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2003

"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhpiga$ul5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone ever have a CPU make noise? Customer has a laptop and its making

what
> sounds like a sraping noise. I would make the noise for you but its hard

to
> spell LOL
>
> It seems to make this noise mainly when the cpu is doing alot of work,

when
> the laptop isnt doing much the noise isnt there. I've stripped the laptop
> down and localised the noise to where the cpu is and cant really think of
> anything that is in the area that might make noise.
>
> Very odd, any help is appreciated.
>
> Rider
>


Just been talking to an electronics bloke I know about this. (Electronics
arent quite my thing)

He said it would be a mechanically made noise as capacitors dont make noise.
We looked at the motherboard and there are two small transformers near the
processor socket. He summised that the ferrite core's are possibly wobblying
very slightly, failing that they are making the noise somehow .... but the
transformers are the most likely cause.

Seeing I have no answers for it, I'm gonna go with what he said : D

Rider



 
Reply With Quote
 
back again
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2003
"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bhsbfc$9u4$(E-Mail Removed):

> Subject: Re: CPU Noise????
> From: "Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: nz.comp
>
>
> "Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bhpiga$ul5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Anyone ever have a CPU make noise? Customer has a laptop and its
>> making

> what
>> sounds like a sraping noise. I would make the noise for you but its
>> hard

> to
>> spell LOL
>>
>> It seems to make this noise mainly when the cpu is doing alot of
>> work,

> when
>> the laptop isnt doing much the noise isnt there. I've stripped the
>> laptop down and localised the noise to where the cpu is and cant
>> really think of anything that is in the area that might make noise.
>>
>> Very odd, any help is appreciated.
>>
>> Rider
>>

>
> Just been talking to an electronics bloke I know about this.
> (Electronics arent quite my thing)
>
> He said it would be a mechanically made noise as capacitors dont make
> noise.



Hmmm... I'm sure I've had capacitors making high pitched whines before
(sort of like the noise all TV sets and CRTs make), but if he says so...


> We looked at the motherboard and there are two small
> transformers near the processor socket. He summised that the ferrite
> core's are possibly wobblying very slightly, failing that they are
> making the noise somehow .... but the transformers are the most likely
> cause.
> Seeing I have no answers for it, I'm gonna go with what he said : D
>
> Rider
>
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
colinco
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2003
In article <Xns93DCBB68D2FC0backnowherecom@130.133.1.4>, back again
wrote...
> Hmmm... I'm sure I've had capacitors making high pitched whines before
> (sort of like the noise all TV sets and CRTs make), but if he says so...
>

He'd be wrong..

"All dielectric materials deform under the stress of an electric
field. This electrostrictive effect is proportional to the square of
the electric field intensity. Some dielectrics exhibit an additional
piezoelectric effect, which is a linear displacement proportional
to the electric field intensity. The piezoelectric effect is usually
the dominant mechanism that produces noise from the capacitors."
 
Reply With Quote
 
back again
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2003
colinco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:MPG.19acbe2a750597899897e6
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> Subject: Re: CPU Noise????
> From: colinco <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: nz.comp
>
> In article <Xns93DCBB68D2FC0backnowherecom@130.133.1.4>, back again
> wrote...
>> Hmmm... I'm sure I've had capacitors making high pitched whines before
>> (sort of like the noise all TV sets and CRTs make), but if he says so...
>>

> He'd be wrong..
>
> "All dielectric materials deform under the stress of an electric
> field. This electrostrictive effect is proportional to the square of
> the electric field intensity. Some dielectrics exhibit an additional
> piezoelectric effect, which is a linear displacement proportional
> to the electric field intensity. The piezoelectric effect is usually
> the dominant mechanism that produces noise from the capacitors."



Oh good -

I'm not going mad then

Thanks
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-19-2003
Is that meaning audible noise, or signal noise?

"colinco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <Xns93DCBB68D2FC0backnowherecom@130.133.1.4>, back again
> wrote...
> > Hmmm... I'm sure I've had capacitors making high pitched whines before
> > (sort of like the noise all TV sets and CRTs make), but if he says so...
> >

> He'd be wrong..
>
> "All dielectric materials deform under the stress of an electric
> field. This electrostrictive effect is proportional to the square of
> the electric field intensity. Some dielectrics exhibit an additional
> piezoelectric effect, which is a linear displacement proportional
> to the electric field intensity. The piezoelectric effect is usually
> the dominant mechanism that produces noise from the capacitors."



 
Reply With Quote
 
Rider
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-20-2003
>
>
> Hmmm... I'm sure I've had capacitors making high pitched whines before
> (sort of like the noise all TV sets and CRTs make), but if he says so...
>


Well he said "I have never had a capacitor make a noise before".
So I suppose that doesnt mean it isnt possible. But he has been doing it a
very long time.

Rider



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How CPU Features Affect CPU Performance Ian Front Page News 0 02-18-2010 03:28 PM
How , system cpu and user cpu times calculates pavunkumar C Programming 1 02-27-2009 08:29 AM
HELP! Trying to understand the logic behind CPU core speeds and whole CPU speed. dimon Computer Support 4 11-10-2006 04:01 PM
Arctic Cooling Silencer 64 Ultra CPU Cooler Review Silverstrand Front Page News 0 06-24-2005 09:34 PM
Pentium CPU vs Intel Celeron CPU and the Wireless Mouse kirk lives! Computer Support 4 05-02-2004 06:59 PM



Advertisments