Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Outlook'98 and Word'97 Problem

Outlook'98 and Word'97 Problem

officehelp

An office PC running NT4 WS had a mild crash while someone was reading an
email.

After rebooting (which took some time) she has found that when she cuts and
pastes from Word97 to a new email in Outlook98, the formatting is all over
the place.

I have changed the mail format from HTML to Word which made a slight
improvement but still changed the font and the font size. I changed back to
HTML and the messy formatting still comes up.

I am wondering if some sort of Outlook ini file has been damaged by the
crash. Any ideas people?

thanks

Patrick Bold

"officehelp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qgX%a.119747$(E-Mail Removed)...
> An office PC running NT4 WS had a mild crash while someone was reading

an
> email.
>
> After rebooting (which took some time) she has found that when she

cuts and
> pastes from Word97 to a new email in Outlook98, the formatting is all

over
> the place.
>
> I have changed the mail format from HTML to Word which made a slight
> improvement but still changed the font and the font size. I changed

back to
> HTML and the messy formatting still comes up.
>
> I am wondering if some sort of Outlook ini file has been damaged by

the
> crash. Any ideas people?
>
> thanks

No ini file as such -- but just to satisfy your curiosity, there are
Outlook configuration files of various kinds for standard message forms
and the like. Look for a file called "note.cfg" in your Office/Otlook
folders. You should be able to view it as text, like an ini file, and
if so then I'd leave it alone because it's probably fine and I know of
no documentation for editing it. All the entires are either set by
default during installation or through selection of various options in
Outlook. In other words, I don't think there's anything you can fix
there that you can't fix directly from the GUI. Other configuration
options for Outlook will be stored in the Registry, but if everything
else about Office/Outlook seems to be working as expected, then I'd
discount the possibility of Registry corruption, which is rarely so
specific.

Are you using a custom template for your email messages? If so, a
corrupted Outlook template file (*.oft) is a prime source for
corruption. Try either replacing the template from a backup or
re-building it. Better yet, first try replicating your fault in the
standard message form. Go Tools | Forms | Choose Form, then select
"Standard Templates"...Mail. You should see "mail.oft" greyed out.
Unfortunately, if there's corruption here, you'll need to re-install
Outlook.

A related possibility is that the fault is in the Word template you
use -- either the standard "normal.dot" or something customzied could be
corrupted. Try pasting into Outlook from a document built from a
different template. Again, the remedy would be to restore your
template(s) from backup or rebuild them. To rebuild "normal.dot"
temporaily in its default form, close Word, rename the existing file as
"normal.saved" (or whatever) and then just restart Word, which will
re-build everything itself. Then see if you can replicate the fault.