Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: DoS attack

Re: DoS attack

PseUDO

"
Microsoft has stymied the expected attack of the Blaster worm by taking the
novel step of eliminating the windowsupdate.com address and unlinking it
from its WindowsUpdate service, said an Internet performance monitoring firm
Friday. The result: there should be no major Internet overloads caused by
Blaster during the day. Lloyd Taylor, the vice president of KeyNote, a San
Mateo, Calif.-based Internet monitoring company, said that the approach,
while unusual, was fairly straight-forward. "Microsoft's pulled the teeth
from Blaster," he said, by altering the domain name service (DNS) servers
that are the Internet's address book. Normally, windowsupdate.com, the
target address embedded in the Blaster worm, links to Microsoft's
WindowsUpdate service, which provides patches for the company's products,
including those necessary to fix the flaw in Windows NT 4.0, 2000, XP, and
Server 2003, which Blaster exploits."

end quote.

PseUDO

"Wyn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IrW%a.12121$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been waiting to hear what, if anything, happened. No squealing, no
> crowing - zilch
>
> Anyone heard anything?
>
> Nathan?
>
> Wyn

Jacob Boehme

PseUDO allegedly said:

> "
> Microsoft has stymied the expected attack of the Blaster worm by taking
> the novel step of eliminating the windowsupdate.com address and unlinking
> it from its WindowsUpdate service, said an Internet performance monitoring
> firm Friday. The result: there should be no major Internet overloads
> caused by Blaster during the day. Lloyd Taylor, the vice president of
> KeyNote, a San Mateo, Calif.-based Internet monitoring company, said that
> the approach, while unusual, was fairly straight-forward. "Microsoft's
> pulled the teeth from Blaster," he said, by altering the domain name
> service (DNS) servers that are the Internet's address book. Normally,
> windowsupdate.com, the target address embedded in the Blaster worm, links
> to Microsoft's WindowsUpdate service, which provides patches for the
> company's products, including those necessary to fix the flaw in Windows
> NT 4.0, 2000, XP, and Server 2003, which Blaster exploits."
>
> end quote.

It has been suggested this is a sign that the virus has been a "test"....as
there are enough errors in it - and the ease of de-fanging it - mean that
it has been a potentially serious virus....that was seriously flawed.

The issue there is: by accident or on purpose?

Paranoia? Sure. Anyone who is paying attention these days can't help but be
paranoid.

There are more than enough REAL conspiracies around to make one more utterly
possible.

Sting

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:15:35 +1200, Jacob Boehme
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> end quote.

>It has been suggested this is a sign that the virus has been a "test"....as
>there are enough errors in it - and the ease of de-fanging it - mean that
>it has been a potentially serious virus....that was seriously flawed.
>
>The issue there is: by accident or on purpose?
>
>Paranoia? Sure. Anyone who is paying attention these days can't help but be
>paranoid.
>
>There are more than enough REAL conspiracies around to make one more utterly
>possible.

Steve Gibson makes this suggestion. Actually I think he said this
middle of last week from memory... dim and dark parts therof...

protecting ports from DoS attack on cisco 2950 Switch hari Cisco 0 12-01-2004 12:50 PM
DoS attack and IP Accounting OverHead. Gary Cisco 4 02-28-2004 08:05 PM
DOS Attack SingSong Cisco 3 12-13-2003 01:47 AM
cisco commands for checking for DOS attack Tim J. Dunn Cisco 2 11-05-2003 03:15 AM
Any one do a mini-few-sec digital handheld videocam for re-attack after violent road rage attack? dorothy.bradbury Digital Photography 15 07-20-2003 11:58 PM

Advertisments