Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wot's going on here then?

Wot's going on here then?

Bruce Simpson

I've noticed that as of today, the Rx data light on my DSL
modem/router is fashing briefly at 10-second intervals -- it didn't do
that before.

Everything else is fine but occasionally the activity light associated
with my PC (it does NAT) flashes in unison with the Rx data light --
even though there are no active programmes and ZoneAlarm reports no
traffic.

Netstat shows no open connections but I'm wondering what's going on.

Is Xtra/Telecom polling the line to see if I'm running a server or
vulnerable to trojans, etc or is someone else having a go I wonder?

Robert Mathews

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:17:04 +1200, Bruce Simpson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've noticed that as of today, the Rx data light on my DSL
>modem/router is fashing briefly at 10-second intervals -- it didn't do
>that before.
>
>Everything else is fine but occasionally the activity light associated
>with my PC (it does NAT) flashes in unison with the Rx data light --
>even though there are no active programmes and ZoneAlarm reports no
>traffic.
>
>Netstat shows no open connections but I'm wondering what's going on.
>
>Is Xtra/Telecom polling the line to see if I'm running a server or
>vulnerable to trojans, etc or is someone else having a go I wonder?

Na they are looking for Missiles..-