Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Kerio running adware after connection

Kerio running adware after connection

Jason M

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:00:43 +1200, colinco <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jason M wrote...
>> The problem occurs on a machine some distance away and I am still
>> waiting for the exact error message details.
>> It's probably persfw.exe or pfwadmin.exe that is trying to run the
>> adware.
>> Almost all Google references to Kerio concern its use as a firewall.
>> I am unaware of any other products by Kerio.
>>

>And a very quick Google shows only your post claiming that Kerio firewall
>runs adware. Other posts refer to Kerio stopping adware.

I have yet to get the exact details of the error message. Why don't we
all wait until then.

Jason M

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:56:13 +1200, Aaron Lawrence
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thus spake Jason M:
>> I've been helping a friend remove 3 adware programs that were being
>> detected by Kerio. Now that I've got rid of the adware (with
>> add/remove programs), after connecting to the Net, Kerio tries to run

>Many spyware programs only pretend to uninstall themselves. Get Ad-aware
>or another utility to destroy them properly.

Delfin/PromulGate/Pgmonitr had been "removed" using Windows Add/Remove
(athoughly clearly there were still references to it in the Registry).

Later when going online (using the Kerio firewall), a Windows message
appeared saying that Pgmonitr.exe was missing, and there was a
reference to Kerio attempting to call it. This is probably because
Kerio was attempting to verify the MD5 signature (checksum) of
Pgmonitr.exe.

Anyway, now that all adware has been removed using Ad-Aware and
Spybot, there have been no further problems.
Clearly after removing software, the Kerio firewall needs to know
that, and the "Check all paths" and "Check MD5" options should be run.