Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dialing up when starting

Dialing up when starting

B Roberts

When I start up my computer it automatically dials my ISP.
Is there a setting to prevent this? Any help would be appreciated , I am
using XP and Outlook Express.

Murray Symon

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 12:01:05 +1200, B Roberts wrote:

> When I start up my computer it automatically dials my ISP.
> Is there a setting to prevent this? Any help would be appreciated , I am
> using XP and Outlook Express.

scan for viruses and spyware ( www.adaware.com ).
You may have a program that is trying to "phone home"

E. Scrooge

"B Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I start up my computer it automatically dials my ISP.
> Is there a setting to prevent this? Any help would be appreciated , I am
> using XP and Outlook Express.

It might help to know if it's always done it or just started doing it.
A virus would be the biggest worry.

E. Scrooge

E. Scrooge

"Invisible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 12:16:58 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed)
> (remove eye)> wrote:
>

> >"B Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> When I start up my computer it automatically dials my ISP.
> >> Is there a setting to prevent this? Any help would be appreciated , I

am
> >> using XP and Outlook Express.

> >It might help to know if it's always done it or just started doing it.
> >A virus would be the biggest worry.

> Saw a PC the other day that has just started doing this. In the processes,
> RSAUTOU pops up. Bitch trying to find out what's causing it. No viruses,

and
> free of spyware.

A search shows nothing about it. You could check the Windows folder
including system, and select it to view the most recent used files in case
you see something new or unusual near the start of the list of files. It
could be a recently installed program causing it.

E. Scrooge

Stuart

"B Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I start up my computer it automatically dials my ISP.

ZoneAlarm had a habit of doing this in one particular version. Try disabling
or uninstalling it if you have it, and see if it fixes the problem.

---

Nicholas Sherlock

"B Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I start up my computer it automatically dials my ISP.
> Is there a setting to prevent this? Any help would be appreciated , I am
> using XP and Outlook Express.

MSN Messenger/other messaging program may be trying to log you in.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Invisible

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 12:39:00 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed)
(remove eye)> wrote:

>"Invisible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 12:16:58 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed)
>> (remove eye)> wrote:
>>

>> >"B Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>am
>> >
>> >It might help to know if it's always done it or just started doing it.
>> >A virus would be the biggest worry.

>> Saw a PC the other day that has just started doing this. In the processes,
>> RSAUTOU pops up. Bitch trying to find out what's causing it. No viruses,

>and
>> free of spyware.

>A search shows nothing about it. You could check the Windows folder
>including system, and select it to view the most recent used files in case
>you see something new or unusual near the start of the list of files. It
>could be a recently installed program causing it.

Whoops, that should be rasautou... there's a few things in google, but none help
this particular problem.

Kookaburra

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:24:11 +1200, Invisible <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Whoops, that should be rasautou... there's a few things in google, but none help
>this particular problem.

Have a look at the auto dialling issues here

http://www2.cajun.net/~theriots/xpsi...r/xp_modem.htm

Have you tried unchecking auto update at all?

Kookaburra

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 12:01:05 +1200, "B Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>When I start up my computer it automatically dials my ISP.
> Is there a setting to prevent this? Any help would be appreciated , I am
>using XP and Outlook Express.

Direct download for Adaware

http://ftp.pcworld.com/pub/new/priva...ty/aaw6181.exe

SpyBot Search & Destroy, Direct download -
http://studserver.uni-dortmund.de/~s...spybotsd12.exe

Peter Huebner

In article <rJC%a.11925$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> "B Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When I start up my computer it automatically dials my ISP.
> > Is there a setting to prevent this? Any help would be appreciated , I am
> > using XP and Outlook Express.

> Install zonealarm, it will tell you which app is trying to dial, then you
> can either block it or configure the app so that it doesn't attempt to log
> on.

Not necessarily if it's BrowseMaster doing it - many firewalls won't
catch that because it looks like localhost activity to them.

I had a problem with browsemaster looking for local network resources on
an internet connection once - sadly I can't recall how I tracked it down
and turned that off but I think I had to totally rebuild networking after
manually cleaning out the registry.

-P.

Auto Dialing stewart Firefox 4 07-19-2005 10:07 PM
Re: Problem from a win95 client dialing a 5350 Aaron Leonard Cisco 0 07-10-2003 12:14 AM

Advertisments