Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft new policy, XP to ship with firewall switched on

Microsoft new policy, XP to ship with firewall switched on

Howard Johnson

"R-Slicks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Howard, you are right in one respect : I don't really care either way.
> I personally make a living from doing MS stuff and I can't see that
> stopping any time soon. I've made a couple of brief forays into RedHat
> but simply don't have the time to pursue it so I stick with what I
> currently know. People will use what they're most comfortable with and
> complain about stuff they're not happy about, though likely as not
> still put up with it anyway. It is quite amusing to read the various
> interactions of the personalities in this group I must say !
> One day maybe we'll tame THE BEAST but not any time soon, I think !

Heh
I just want to turn the tooltips off.

dOTdASH

news:bhv34l$tu3$(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:
> >In article <zll0b.120797$(E-Mail Removed)>, "dOTdASH"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> *SNIP*
> >When I find the link I'll post it for you.

> *SNIP*
>
> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive...0/2003-06-05/0
>
> There ya go. That should be recent enough for you. And it's not
> exactly a low-risk bug, either.
>
> --
> Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
> "Veni, vidi, velcro...
> I came, I saw, I stuck around"
>
> My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

First up, thanks for taking the time to track down a link. It's an
interesting read and I agree completely that taking 17 weeks to disclose or
fix a serious bug sucks. I would also note that it might be somewhat of an
exception that the rule but I must say I am watching Microsoft's action over
the next few months with interest. While I'm not sure we would see eye to
eye on everything this has been an informative discussion. Thanks again.

Nathan Mercer

"Uncle StoatWarbler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:04:13 +1200, R-Slicks wrote:
>
> > Don't forget that MS thinking is heavily clouded by the US market
> > where broadband is common place.

> They did make a major concession a while back in that the updates now
> come in as a series of 1Mb files instead of one large one per patch/update
>
> At least this way if you crash out, you can start over and carry on more
> or less where you left off.
>
> You'd think they'd have discovered zmodem and ftp reget years ago though.
>
> (Yes, yes, I know that http didn't support reget until recently, it's not
> designed for these large files and shouldn't be used for them.)

Using the Automatic Update uses a resumable download protocol called BITS,
unlike Windows Update which doesn't...
Another good reason for dial up users to enable that feature.
www.microsoft.com/protect is useful.

Lennier

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:03:36 +1200, T.N.O wrote:

>> What I've heard of Micro$oftXP's built-in firewall is that it only
>> filters inward packets and cannot restrict outward packets. This would
>> mean that viruses can still send out their payload.

> but how would they have got the latest if they had not accepted the remote
> connection in the first place?
>
> I suppose it could be emailed in...

True.

And if they're using Outlook/Express, they're not likely to know that
they've even installed anything as a result of reading an email.

All the more reason to use Evolution or Mozilla on *nix.

Lennier

Lennier