Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: MS answer to Lunix..

Re: MS answer to Lunix..

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 11:26:35 +0530, Rupert wrote:

> can't believe it's really b/c of linux but rather the fact you can pick up
> a copy of XP with XP plus for around US$5

If you pay that much, you're being ripped off. Ask for the non-longnose price

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 19:02:09 +0530, Rupert wrote:

> well i get cd's for 100 baht usually, cheaper for music - but i couldn't
> be bothered working out the exchange rate.

that's about US$3, still too much.

m00se

Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

> that's about US$3, still too much.

Kinda broke these days huh?

m00se

Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

>>>that's about US$3, still too much.

>>Kinda broke these days huh?

> I use Suse and Slackware, no MS at all.
>
> Getting back onto the thread (cheap MS releases in Thailand), the average
> Thai is earning less than US$5/day (It's lower elsewhere, Malaysia and the
> Philippines are about US$3/day per family), which puts a US$80 package out
> of reach of most.

which also puts a US$1000 PC out of reach...

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:53:07 +1200, m00se wrote:

>> that's about US$3, still too much.

> Kinda broke these days huh?

I use Suse and Slackware, no MS at all.

Getting back onto the thread (cheap MS releases in Thailand), the average
Thai is earning less than US$5/day (It's lower elsewhere, Malaysia and the
Philippines are about US$3/day per family), which puts a US$80 package out
of reach of most.

Even US$10 is going to be a struggle. I doubt it will have any effect on
the levels of piracy when the counterfeit product is 1/3 the price and
works just as well - it's not like a fake cartier watch, after all.

m00se

Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

> They don't cost $1000 there.
>
> The Thai govt is flogging cheap laptops to citizens for US$300 or less and
> you can pick up a basic spec P3/P4 box for around US$200 or less.

So again... US$3 is too much for an OS?

Robert Mathews

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:29:52 +1200, Lennier <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:52:40 +1200, m00se wrote:
>
>> So again... US$3 is too much for an OS?

>Absolutely! RedHat 9 can be downloaded for nothing more than the cost of
>the time connected.
>
>AND you get to install it on as many boxen as you want.
>
>AND you never need to pay for upgrades.
>
>AND you get the full source code for the entire installation!
>
>Lennier

And get no support and very few decent Apps..

Please do not Joke as its hurting my sides..

Robert Mathews

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:40:36 +1200, Lennier <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:00:57 +1200, Robert Mathews wrote:
>
>>>Absolutely! RedHat 9 can be downloaded for nothing more than the cost of
>>>the time connected.
>>>
>>>AND you get to install it on as many boxen as you want.
>>>
>>>AND you never need to pay for upgrades.
>>>
>>>AND you get the full source code for the entire installation!

>> And get no support and very few decent Apps.

>Well, that would be the case if you call Mozilla, Evolution, Pan, the
>Gimp, Open Office, Smbd, ftpd, Sendmail, Fetchmail, Iptables, Apache, to
>be "very few decent apps" - and that covers most of what people use their
>computers for.
>
>Lennier

And most can't even post a stick at MS programs can they..

Plus its no a Home OS and no shops around here support it.

m00se

m00se wrote:

> Youre missing my point, anyone who cant afford US$200 for a PC, cant
> complain they cant afford US$3 for an OS for it.

Correction:

Youre missing my point, anyone who _can_ afford US$200 for a PC, cant
complain they cant afford US$3 for an OS for it.

Howard Johnson

"m00se" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lennier wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:52:40 +1200, m00se wrote:
> >

> >>So again... US$3 is too much for an OS?

> > Absolutely! RedHat 9 can be downloaded for nothing more than the cost of
> > the time connected.
> >
> > AND you get to install it on as many boxen as you want.
> >
> > AND you never need to pay for upgrades.
> >
> > AND you get the full source code for the entire installation!
> >
> > Lennier
> >

> Youre missing my point, anyone who cant afford US$200 for a PC, cant
> complain they cant afford US$3 for an OS for it.

But PCs are available with Windows pre installed, so you don't have to pay
for an operating system.
Is $US3 worth claiming as a refund if you don't use it ?