Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: MS answer to Lunix..

Re: MS answer to Lunix..

T.N.O

"Howard Johnson" wrote
> Thats great, I'll use it.
> But its a server to serve windows workstations, making ridiculous claims
> about performance and stability in isolation is complete nonsense

Actually I heard of a group of guys who were setting up a Linux network, and
wanted file shares etc, and went the samba route, because it was easier... I
had to laugh.

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:34:38 +1200, T.N.O wrote:

> Actually I heard of a group of guys who were setting up a Linux network, and
> wanted file shares etc, and went the samba route, because it was easier... I
> had to laugh.

There's a reason it's called the Common Internet File System and not
Windows File Sharing.

nfs works, but it's got security and bandwidth issues.

Intermezzo is better though.

Peter Ingham

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 03:42:10 GMT, Mutley <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Howard Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"m00se" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Lennier wrote:

>S for it.
>>>

>>But PCs are available with Windows pre installed, so you don't have to pay
>>for an operating system.
>>Is $US3 worth claiming as a refund if you don't use it ?
>>

>"But PCs are available with Windows pre installed, so you don't have
>to pay >for an operating system."
>
>Where have you been?? Having Windows pre installed costs up to
>NZ$300 on top of the hardware..

Unless you are <very large PC Manufacturer> where MS will do you a
deal where you do not buy by the unit installed, but by the unit
shipped and pay much, much less per copy.

--
Please remove '_SpamTrap' when replying. You know why

Peter Ingham
Lower Hutt
New Zealand

AD.

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 02:02:33 +0000, Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:50:31 +1200, Howard Johnson wrote:
>

>> Samba is totally dependent on Microsoft networking, there is nothing
>> about the performance and stability of Microsoft networking that doesn't
>> affect Samba.

> Check out www.samba.org - 3.0rc is out and it's a complete NT server
> replacement right down to active directory, etc.

Not quite. 3.0 can integrate with AD, but it can't replace it. It can
replace NT4 domains though.

Cheers
Anton

Steve Phillips

Your one flaw in the arguement was..

"cost of the time connected."

Ever stop to wonder how much that would be in Thailand .. hell.. you ever
been to thailand and seen the state of their phone system, when i was there
you got better preformance by connecting via your cell phone back to an NZ
POP on 9600 baud than trying to dial locally. (with telecommunications in
such a state a 128k DSL offering would probably seem like a godsend for oh..
$10 (NZ)/month... )

I bet shipping for a CD from cheapbytes in the US to Thailand is more than
the $3USD as well.

--
Steve.

"Lennier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2003.08.18.10.10.58.438582@TRACKER...
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:49:33 +1200, Robert Mathews wrote:
>
> >>Well, that would be the case if you call Mozilla, Evolution, Pan, the
> >>Gimp, Open Office, Smbd, ftpd, Sendmail, Fetchmail, Iptables, Apache, to
> >>be "very few decent apps" - and that covers most of what people use
> >>their computers for.
> >>
> >>Lennier

> > And most can't even post a stick at MS programs can they.

> LOL - Sendmail, Fetchmail, Samba, and Apache are only the most commonly
> used servers on the internet today. Micro$oft does not have any software
> which can come even close to the performance and stability of those
> programmes.
>
> As for the rest, Micro$oft has released no software that can run under
> Linux.
>

> > Plus its no a Home OS and no shops around here support it.

> Well funny that, but I'm using RedHat 9 on two of my computers at home.
>
> It certainly has proven to be considerably more reliable than Micro$oft
> Windows!
>
> And of course, given that Linux systems do not need the level of "support"
> that Windows systems need, it is hardly surprising that there are few
> shops that support it.
>
> OTOH, I can think of several shops which have Linux available to purchase.
>
> RedHat 9 works well on the Desktop. RedHat 10 should be an even better
> system.
>
> Lennier

Lennier

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:52:40 +1200, m00se wrote:

> So again... US$3 is too much for an OS?

Absolutely! RedHat 9 can be downloaded for nothing more than the cost of
the time connected.

AND you get to install it on as many boxen as you want.

AND you never need to pay for upgrades.

AND you get the full source code for the entire installation!

Lennier

Lennier