Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: MS answer to Linux..

Re: MS answer to Linux..

dOTdASH

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> this quote is from Robert Mathews of Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:52 :
> >
> > http://www.nvmax.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?num=1060950400

> "Microsoft has gone on the rampage by slashing Windows XP and Office XP
> prices to an excellent $36, but only in Thailand. According to the

journal,
> Microsoft has also removed activation from the products"
>
> So, how come it costs something like ten times that much to buy Windos

here
> in NZ?
> (and don't say it is the cost of transport from Thailand.)
>
> And are these full versions, or trial / crippleware versions of XP or
> Office?
>

> Peter

maybe it's because Thailand is a 3rd world country and NZ isn't ? Why is
labour so cheap in Thailand compared to NZ ? Maybe everybody in NZ should
take a 90% pay cut so we're more closely aligned with the Thais

Rupert

> maybe it's because Thailand is a 3rd world country and NZ isn't ? Why is
> labour so cheap in Thailand compared to NZ ? Maybe everybody in NZ should
> take a 90% pay cut so we're more closely aligned with the Thais

however with parallel importing will the warehouse buy up big?

Rupert

> So the amount you get paid determines the status of the country? Where the
> heck are the SECOND world countries?

When the terms 1st, 2nd and 3rd World were devised the broadly meant the
following;

1st World - Developed West
2nd World - Communist Countries
3rd World - Undeveloped Nations - or as we now must call them being the
politically correct things we are - Developing Nations

Robert Mathews

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:57:22 +0530, "Rupert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> So the amount you get paid determines the status of the country? Where the
>> heck are the SECOND world countries?
>>

>When the terms 1st, 2nd and 3rd World were devised the broadly meant the
>following;
>
>1st World - Developed West
>2nd World - Communist Countries
>3rd World - Undeveloped Nations - or as we now must call them being the
>politically correct things we are - Developing Nations

But I thought hat NZ came under the 3rd World status..?

Rupert

no, though the labour government is certainly trying to attain 2nd world
status

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:

> >> So the amount you get paid determines the status of the country? Where

the
> >> heck are the SECOND world countries?
> >>

> >When the terms 1st, 2nd and 3rd World were devised the broadly meant the
> >following;
> >
> >1st World - Developed West
> >2nd World - Communist Countries
> >3rd World - Undeveloped Nations - or as we now must call them being the
> >politically correct things we are - Developing Nations
> >

> But I thought hat NZ came under the 3rd World status..?

Jacob Boehme

dOTdASH allegedly said:

> maybe it's because Thailand is a 3rd world country and NZ isn't ? Why is
> labour so cheap in Thailand compared to NZ ? Maybe everybody in NZ should
> take a 90% pay cut so we're more closely aligned with the Thais

You'd also need t oset up special "slave zo....."....um "Export manufacture"
zones where labour laws do not apply.

Multi-nationals love these. Cheap labour, no laws....and ifthe peasants get
angry, their government will arrest or shoot them for you.

But Windows is cheap.

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:57:22 +0530, "Rupert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >> So the amount you get paid determines the status of the country? Where the
> >> heck are the SECOND world countries?
> >>

> >When the terms 1st, 2nd and 3rd World were devised the broadly meant the
> >following;
> >
> >1st World - Developed West
> >2nd World - Communist Countries
> >3rd World - Undeveloped Nations - or as we now must call them being the
> >politically correct things we are - Developing Nations
> >

> But I thought hat NZ came under the 3rd World status..?

Only since all those immigrants came over from Pommieland

cowboyz

"Jacob Boehme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Gro%a.11822$(E-Mail Removed)...
> dOTdASH allegedly said:
>
> > maybe it's because Thailand is a 3rd world country and NZ isn't ? Why is
> > labour so cheap in Thailand compared to NZ ? Maybe everybody in NZ

should
> > take a 90% pay cut so we're more closely aligned with the Thais

> You'd also need t oset up special "slave zo....."....um "Export

manufacture"
> zones where labour laws do not apply.
>
> Multi-nationals love these. Cheap labour, no laws....and ifthe peasants

get
> angry, their government will arrest or shoot them for you.
>
> But Windows is cheap.

oh well.. we all have to compromise.
--
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

Robert Mathews

> But I thought hat NZ came under the 3rd World status..?

We are approaching that with large scale immigration, and free handouts to
anyone who asks for one.

Oh hang on.... sound familiar Woger ?

Bruce Sinclair

In article <bhkmd1$6tu$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Rupert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> So the amount you get paid determines the status of the country? Where the
>> heck are the SECOND world countries?

>When the terms 1st, 2nd and 3rd World were devised the broadly meant the
>following;
>
>1st World - Developed West
>2nd World - Communist Countries
>3rd World - Undeveloped Nations - or as we now must call them being the
>politically correct things we are - Developing Nations

... or 'majority world'

Bruce

Oook !
NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !