Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Pausing problem

Pausing problem

Ferg

I am having a problem with my computer pausing. Had it for a long time but
thought I'd have a go trying to fix it.

I first noticed it when I got an AGP graphics card and tried playing the
game that came with the card.

The game would pause about every few minutes for about s second.

DVDs pause a few times every 10 minutes or so.

Seems like overloading the CPU but I thought an 800Mhz cpu would be enough
to do the software decoding for the DVD... Everything I have read said it
should be...

Details:

AMD Duron 800Mhz
AGP is Radeon 7000 series
384 Mbs Ram
WinXP pro
DVD is BTC BDV212b
Mobo is ms-6340
DMA is all running.
Hard drive in DMA mode 5
DVD in UDMA 2
I have installed the latest via 4in1 driver.

Any ideas?

Ferg

Ferg

I turned off my anti-virus program (AVG).
WinXP pro is my OS.

What is findfast and how do I try turning it off?

As to spyware, it has always happened. I haven't scanned my computer lately
but usually I have run ad-aware regularly. So unlikely to be that.

Thanks for the ideas!

Ferg
"Jacob Boehme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6L1%a.11653$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ferg allegedly said:
>

> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Ferg

> Could be a lot of things.
>
> I assume you're running some version of Windows: which one?
>
> Got ani-virus? Does it scan your mail file every few minutes looking for
> viruses? (McAfee and Eudora 5.x do this...and the system pauses while the
> mail file gets scanned - again.
>
> If findfast turned on?
>
> Got any spyware trying to phone home - and can't get through? network
> pause...
>
> ....anything. What's active on your system?

Ferg

Oh. If you mean the indexing service, that is disabled.

Ferg

"Ferg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhiimg$i9k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I turned off my anti-virus program (AVG).
> WinXP pro is my OS.
>
> What is findfast and how do I try turning it off?
>
> As to spyware, it has always happened. I haven't scanned my computer

lately
> but usually I have run ad-aware regularly. So unlikely to be that.
>
> Thanks for the ideas!
>
> Ferg
> "Jacob Boehme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:6L1%a.11653$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ferg allegedly said:
> >

> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Ferg

> > Could be a lot of things.
> >
> > I assume you're running some version of Windows: which one?
> >
> > Got ani-virus? Does it scan your mail file every few minutes looking for
> > viruses? (McAfee and Eudora 5.x do this...and the system pauses while

the
> > mail file gets scanned - again.
> >
> > If findfast turned on?
> >
> > Got any spyware trying to phone home - and can't get through? network
> > pause...
> >
> > ....anything. What's active on your system?

Jacob Boehme

Ferg allegedly said:

> I turned off my anti-virus program (AVG).
> WinXP pro is my OS.
>
> What is findfast and how do I try turning it off?

I don't remember if XP has Findfast or not. I wiped it over a year ago and
haven't used WinXP since.

FindFast builds a file index. It used to actually crash a couple of my
programs if it kicked in while they were running. It's usually found in
Control Panel (on Win9x).

> As to spyware, it has always happened. I haven't scanned my computer
> lately but usually I have run ad-aware regularly. So unlikely to be that.
>
> Thanks for the ideas!

The pause is going to be SOMETHING running that is either eating CPU or
hogging the disc access..or both.

Ferg

So I have been watching a DVD with the task manager up showing the processes
runnning.

Seems strange.

When the pauses happen System idle goes up to 99% and PowerDvd drops off to
0%...

So I wonder if their is something competing for CPU time that doesn't show?

Ferg

"Jacob Boehme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsC4%a.11712$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ferg allegedly said:
>
> > I turned off my anti-virus program (AVG).
> > WinXP pro is my OS.
> >
> > What is findfast and how do I try turning it off?

> I don't remember if XP has Findfast or not. I wiped it over a year ago

and
> haven't used WinXP since.
>
> FindFast builds a file index. It used to actually crash a couple of my
> programs if it kicked in while they were running. It's usually found in
> Control Panel (on Win9x).
>
> > As to spyware, it has always happened. I haven't scanned my computer
> > lately but usually I have run ad-aware regularly. So unlikely to be

that.

> > Thanks for the ideas!

> The pause is going to be SOMETHING running that is either eating CPU or
> hogging the disc access..or both.

Nicholas Sherlock

Ferg wrote:
> I turned off my anti-virus program (AVG).
> WinXP pro is my OS.

AVG is great, but it sure doesn't do my system any good when I have .exes
and zipfiles running into the thousands of megabytes sitting on my desktop
(Or indeed, inside any folder). Every time Windows wants to read what icon
it's supposed to be displaying, AVG has to scan the entire file (And this
takes an *age* on a 700mb file)...

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Ferg

So do you recommend an alternative free anti-viral program?

Ferg

"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhjqj8$ivi$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ferg wrote:
> > I turned off my anti-virus program (AVG).
> > WinXP pro is my OS.

> AVG is great, but it sure doesn't do my system any good when I have .exes
> and zipfiles running into the thousands of megabytes sitting on my desktop
> (Or indeed, inside any folder). Every time Windows wants to read what icon
> it's supposed to be displaying, AVG has to scan the entire file (And this
> takes an *age* on a 700mb file)...
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock

Nicholas Sherlock

"Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> In article <bhka63$tre$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > So do you recommend an alternative free anti-viral program?

> I recommend one that you pay for (like only $100 for NAV etc)

NAV sucks resources like there is no tomorrow, and their autoupdate service
is subscription based.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Ferg

Well I haven't had a problem with AVG and it's free so I'll stick with it
for now.

Ferg

"Nicholas Sherlock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bhmn81$me0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> > In article <bhka63$tre$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > > So do you recommend an alternative free anti-viral program?

> > I recommend one that you pay for (like only $100 for NAV etc)

> NAV sucks resources like there is no tomorrow, and their autoupdate

service
> is subscription based.
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock

DVD pausing problem Richard Fangnail DVD Video 80 04-21-2010 10:15 AM
Wireless keeps pausing =?Utf-8?B?Q3VydF9DIFtNVlBd?= Wireless Networking 0 10-20-2005 01:57 AM
Pausing in Java Sharp Java 4 01-28-2005 10:33 PM
Pausing a Swing Worker Thread? C-man Java 2 09-18-2004 08:19 PM
Pausing Threads From Events Bryan R. Meyer Java 16 04-30-2004 12:57 AM

Advertisments