Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > XP Home & Terminal Services.

Reply
Thread Tools

XP Home & Terminal Services.

 
 
broprint
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2003
Hi
We have been using W98 on a home PC to connect to the office workgroup over
a VPN and using Terminal Services Client to access a database. I understand
that the database runs on the server and when a physical client accesses the
database large chunks of data fly between them. When terminal services is
used the TS host simulates? a physical client and does the work on the
server but sends the screen image to the remote PC. ???? The database was
built to order and we dont know what it is based on but it isnt access. ?
The home PC has been replaced with a big grunty PC running XP Home. We have
established the VPN and can connect to the office workgroup as if we were
there but can find no way to set up terminal services. I know that XPH
cannot join a domain but does it also exclude terminal services? Might there
be some other way of setting this up?

Thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Matt B
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2003
In news:27X_a.116741$(E-Mail Removed),
broprint <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
> We have been using W98 on a home PC to connect to the office
> workgroup over a VPN and using Terminal Services Client to access a
> database. I understand that the database runs on the server and when
> a physical client accesses the database large chunks of data fly
> between them. When terminal services is used the TS host simulates? a
> physical client and does the work on the server but sends the screen
> image to the remote PC. ????


Basically, yes

> The database was built to order and we
> dont know what it is based on but it isnt access. ?


Some db's can give you grief if backend data is on another server from the
TS. A shitter I know 'cos it's obviously a prefeerd setup. Network
redirectors/oplocks... it can be a real bugger sometimes

> The home PC has
> been replaced with a big grunty PC running XP Home. We have
> established the VPN and can connect to the office workgroup as if we
> were there but can find no way to set up terminal services. I know
> that XPH cannot join a domain but does it also exclude terminal
> services? Might there be some other way of setting this up?
>

Initiate VPN connection, run mstsc.exe (remote desktop connection), enter
pooter name or IP of your TS box, login...
No different to Win98. One thing - if you've installed SP1 to your XPH
machine you'll have to get a TS CAL for it. Either that or call MS to
reissue the CAL that had been issued to the Win98 machine. (Depending upon
whether your licence server has had certain patches applied this "should"
prove unnecessary as the CAL issued to the W98 machine will go back in the
pool once its lease expires).
--
Regards,

Matt B
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There are 10 types of people.
Those who get binary...
And those who don't.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
v = vte.Terminal() AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'Terminal' Steve Python 2 12-07-2010 05:48 PM
open a new terminal window from another terminal window in linux/unixsystem gaurav kashyap Python 3 10-31-2008 12:10 PM
pda as terminal under xp home (with bt) =?Utf-8?B?Sm9uYXRoYW4=?= Wireless Networking 2 06-21-2005 09:33 PM



Advertisments