Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ Herald article on spammers

NZ Herald article on spammers

Delirium

back again <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> No, but a few hundred SMS's to his cellphone advertising free
> vasectomies with a rusty knife, by untrained medical staff, might
> be annoying

Too expensive, and too traceable. In my crystal ball I see... an
envelope... many envelopes... the contents seem to be junk mail of
the kind we all find in our physical mailboxes... with no stamps so
he has to pay the postage... and no return addresses.

>> Administrative Contact:
>> Atkinson, Shane http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) P.O. Box 36289
>> Merivale Christchurch, NZ 8030
>> NZ
>> 064211252557

Lesley Walker
Wellington, New Zealand
--
Green mouse ice cream was the worst. I din't like that at ALL.
---Delirium, Brief Lives by Neil Gaiman

Peter

this quote is from Gavin Tunney of Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:09 :

> On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:40:07 +1200, "Robert Mathews"
> <do_you_masturbate@too_much.com.org.qq> wrote:
>
>>Interesting article in NZ Herald today, regarding Shane Atkinson, of
>>Christchurch. There's also a link to it from aardvark.

> This guy has made a serious misjudgement, and is about to find out
> just how deep the resentment against spammers is.

Spamming is despicable and antisocial, but is it actually illegal in NZ yet?
Can anything be actually done about miscreants like the infamous Shane
Atkinson?

Peter

Snoopy

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:42:33 +0000, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:40:07 +1200, Robert Mathews wrote:
>
>> Interesting article in NZ Herald today, regarding Shane Atkinson, of
>> Christchurch. There's also a link to it from aardvark.
>>
>> Happy go lucky spammer, who cheerily commented how this has enabled him to
>> have a nice car and a house.
>>
>> What a jolly nice man. I wonder if he needs a pill to boost his penis
>> size.

>From something I just posted to news.admin.net-abuse.email
>
>A little birdie tells me that for some inexplicable reason, Shane
>Atkinson's DNS registrations are actually accurate.
>
>Perhaps he feels he's invincible?
>
><snipped 'whois' stuff>

What about the domain 'sizepills.biz', the third domain mentioned in
the Herald article?

SNOOPY

--
Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more

Richard Hector

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 23:19:14 +1200, Rob King wrote:

>> My sendmail gateway explicitly rejects connects from known
>> spammers.....just to save me data traffic.
>>

> But if your sendmail is running at home and you have something like
> Jetstream, too bad, that traffic is already yours.

You don't suck in the entire email and then bounce it. You disconnect the
sender as soon as it identifies itself - which is right at the beginning.

Richard

DPF

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:40:07 +1200, Robert Mathews wrote:
>
>> Interesting article in NZ Herald today, regarding Shane Atkinson, of
>> Christchurch. There's also a link to it from aardvark.
>>
>> Happy go lucky spammer, who cheerily commented how this has enabled him to
>> have a nice car and a house.
>>
>> What a jolly nice man. I wonder if he needs a pill to boost his penis
>> size.

>From something I just posted to news.admin.net-abuse.email
>
>A little birdie tells me that for some inexplicable reason, Shane
>Atkinson's DNS registrations are actually accurate.

Thanks Alan - very useful.

DPF

--
Blog: http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz
E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)

DPF

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:30:47 +1200, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>this quote is from Gavin Tunney of Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:09 :
>
>> On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:40:07 +1200, "Robert Mathews"
>> <do_you_masturbate@too_much.com.org.qq> wrote:
>>
>>>Interesting article in NZ Herald today, regarding Shane Atkinson, of
>>>Christchurch. There's also a link to it from aardvark.

>> This guy has made a serious misjudgement, and is about to find out
>> just how deep the resentment against spammers is.

>Spamming is despicable and antisocial, but is it actually illegal in NZ yet?
>Can anything be actually done about miscreants like the infamous Shane
>Atkinson?

I hope so. InternetNZ is filing at least three complaints. For those
interested the PR is below:

INTERNETNZ LODGES COMPLAINTS AGAINST SPAMMER

InternetNZ is lodging complaints against Christchurch
spammer Shane Atkinson with three different regulatory
bodies.

Atkinson has been identified in the media as being
responsible for the sending of up to 100 million spam
e-mails a day to promote his penis enlargement pills.

InternetNZ Vice-President, David Farrar, said that
complaints are being lodged with:
- The Commerce Commission for breach of Section 10 of the
Fair Trading Act 1986, relating to misleading conduct in
relation to goods.
- The Ministry of Health for breach of the Medicines Act
1981
- The Privacy Commissioner for breach of the Privacy Act
1993

"Mr Atkinson is an unrepentant spammer who believes that
those who don't want to receive spam should not connect to
the Internet. InternetNZ disagrees that connecting to the
Internet is a license for Mr Atkinson to promote his penis
enlargement pills to every man, woman and child's e-mail
address he can find" said Mr Farrar.

InternetNZ has been considering investigating the
possibility of advocating for NZ legislation to combat spam.

"If nothing is done to stem the tide of spam, we will start
to lose Internet users as they become overloaded with junk
mail. It is estimated that just over 50% of all email
travelling the Internet is now spam". said Keith Davidson,
InternetNZ President

“If spammers believe there is nothing wrong with spamming,
then legislation will become a definitive requirement in New
Zealand. Many other countries have passed or intend to pass
anti-spam legislation. While New Zealand has been able to
rely on industry self regulation and a high degree of
co-operation between ISP's in the fight against spam, it is
becoming apparent that further steps towards legislation may
be desirable if attitudes like those of Mr Atkinson
exist.” according to Mr Davidson

InternetNZ urges the appropriate regulatory authorities to
prosecute Mr Atkinson to the maximum extent permissible
under current laws." concluded InternetNZ Vice-President
David Farrar

ENDS

--
Blog: http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz
E-mail: (E-Mail Removed)

Gavin Tunney

wrote:

>this quote is from Gavin Tunney of Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:09 :
>
>> On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:40:07 +1200, "Robert Mathews"
>> <do_you_masturbate@too_much.com.org.qq> wrote:
>>
>>>Interesting article in NZ Herald today, regarding Shane Atkinson, of
>>>Christchurch. There's also a link to it from aardvark.

>> This guy has made a serious misjudgement, and is about to find out
>> just how deep the resentment against spammers is.

>Spamming is despicable and antisocial, but is it actually illegal in NZ yet?
>Can anything be actually done about miscreants like the infamous Shane
>Atkinson?

It's not the spamming that's illegal Peter, it's his other practices.

The porn type spam, and that includes dick enlarger pills etc, can
quite conceivably constitute sexual harassment of some kind, or be in
breach of censorship laws etc. Employers for example are beginning to
run foul of workplace harassment laws just by allowing porno spam
through.

Much depends on the graphic nature & content of his ads. It's all very
well sending porno spam to consenting adults, but children &
non-consenting adults are getting his crap as well. The more you look
at it the more you realise just how many civil suits one could lodge
against this guy. His ads are also blatantly misleading & since he's
operating in NZ he's covered by NZ trading laws even though his spam
is coming from overseas servers.

But what it all comes down to is here's the chance for a lot of very
****ed off people to get some revenge against a spammer who we can
actually reach. A lot of people out there find his kind of spam highly
offensive, especially women & mothers. Don't underestimate the power &
determination of an angry mother, they'll eat this guy alive IMO

GT

Peter

this quote is from DPF of Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:41 :

> InternetNZ is lodging complaints against Christchurch
> spammer Shane Atkinson with three different regulatory
> bodies.
>
> InternetNZ Vice-President, David Farrar, said that
> complaints are being lodged with:
> - The Commerce Commission for breach of Section 10 of the
> Fair Trading Act 1986, relating to misleading conduct in
> relation to goods.
> - The Ministry of Health for breach of the Medicines Act
> 1981
> - The Privacy Commissioner for breach of the Privacy Act
> 1993

good show - well done !

Peter

Enkidu

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 23:19:14 +1200, Rob King <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Henry Sidgwick wrote:
>> Rob King allegedly said:
>>

>>>His comment of "just delete them" is all well and good, but while we
>>>still have volume charging on our internet connections, each little
>>>piece of spam has a monetary penalty attached to it.
>>>
>>>Arrogant toad.

>> Too right.
>>
>> My sendmail gateway explicitly rejects connects from known spammers.....just
>> to save me data traffic.
>>

>But if your sendmail is running at home and you have something like
>Jetstream, too bad, that traffic is already yours.
>
>I love how Telecom benefit from the outbreak of worms and spam.

Not true, surely? He's talking about *connects* from the SPAMmers
server. So if the connection is refused, only a few bytes get
exchanged. However, it's difficult to keep up with the IP addresses
that SPAMmers use.

Cheers,

Cliff

T.N.O

"Robert Mathews" wrote in message news:bhgvjr$afo$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Interesting article in NZ Herald today, regarding Shane Atkinson, of
| Christchurch. There's also a link to it from aardvark.

Any idea which one he is?

Atkinson A S
2/12 Baladin St Avondale Christchurch
0-3-388 0243

Atkinson G & Handley S
12 Malta Cre South New Brighton Christchurch
0-3-388 6826

Atkinson J S & C J
PO Box 24 273 Christchurch
0-3-981 7678

Atkinson R & S
28 Eveleyn Couzins Ave Richmond Christchurch
0-3-389 2870

Atkinson S
26 Hardy St New Brighton Christchurch
0-3-382 1716

Atkinson S E
137 Springs Rd Sockburn Christchurch
0-3-349 2888

Atkinson Simon
2 James K Baxter Pl Addington Christchurch
0-3-960 0257

Atkinson S & K
89 a Carmen Rd Hei Hei Christchurch
0-3-960 5536

Atkinson S & V
93 Hulverstone Dve Avondale Christchurch
0-3-980 1747

Computers favored over peace, happiness (Everett Herald) admin@ng2000.com Computer Information 0 10-21-2007 10:10 AM
herald slow. Dave - Dave.net.nz NZ Computing 0 10-28-2004 08:47 PM
High-readability font... anyone recall the story in the Herald Peter Jenkins NZ Computing 3 06-03-2004 12:33 AM
herald site XPD NZ Computing 4 11-17-2003 01:11 AM
Granny Herald gets caught out dOTdASH NZ Computing 9 07-31-2003 03:02 AM

Advertisments