Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ Herald article on spammers

NZ Herald article on spammers

Howard

Snoopy wrote:

> I saw that the author managed to trace him through 'whois'. Can
> anyone explain how this is done?

Here is the result of a search for caverock.net.nz on www.allwhois.com

% New Zealand Domain Name Registry Limited
% Users confirm on submission their agreement to all published Terms
%
version: 0.95
query_datetime: 2003-08-15T15:25:27+12:00
domain_name: caverock.net.nz
query_status: 200 Active
domain_dateregistered: 1997-10-17T00:00:00+13:00
domain_datebilleduntil: 2003-10-17T00:00:00+13:00
domain_datelastmodified: 2003-02-03T17:59:56+13:00
domain_delegaterequested: yes
%
registrar_name: Domainz
registrar_address1: Private Bag 1810
registrar_city: Wellington
registrar_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
registrar_phone: +64 4 918-1740
registrar_fax: +64 4 918-1719
registrar_email: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid
%
registrant_contact_name: Cave Rock Software Ltd
registrant_contact_address1: PO Box 22488
registrant_contact_address2: High Street
registrant_contact_city: Christchurch
registrant_contact_postalcode: 8001
registrant_contact_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
registrant_contact_phone: +64 3 366 4242
registrant_contact_fax: +64 3 366 5478
registrant_contact_email: (E-Mail Removed)lid
%
admin_contact_name: Paul Lebeau
admin_contact_address1: PO Box 22488
admin_contact_address2: High Street
admin_contact_city: Christchurch
admin_contact_postalcode: 8001
admin_contact_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
admin_contact_phone: +64 3 366 4242
admin_contact_fax: +64 3 366 5478
admin_contact_email: (E-Mail Removed)lid
%
technical_contact_name: Cave Rock Internet
technical_contact_address1: PO Box 22488
technical_contact_address2: Christchurch, New Zealand
technical_contact_phone: +64 3 3664242
technical_contact_fax: +64 3 3665478
technical_contact_email: (E-Mail Removed)lid
%
ns_name_01: ns2.caverock.co.nz
ns_ip4_01: 202.37.100.19
ns_name_02: ns1.caverock.co.nz
ns_ip4_02: 202.37.100.1
%
% Users are advised that the following activities are strictly forbidden.
%
% Using multiple WHOIS queries, or using the output of multiple WHOIS
% queries in conjunction with any other facility or service, to enable
% or effect a download of part or all of the .nz Register.
%
% Using any information contained in the WHOIS query output to attempt a
% targeted contact campaign with any person, or any organisation, using any
% medium.
%
% A breach of these conditions will be treated as a breach of the .nz
Policies
% and Procedures. Sanctions in line with those specified in the policies
and
% procedures at www.dnc.org.nz may result from any breach.

art

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 03:20:28 GMT, Chris Mayhew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>art <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:40:07 +1200, "Robert Mathews"
>> <do_you_masturbate@too_much.com.org.qq> wrote:

>Put it into perspective - people have murdered for far less profit than
>what this guy is making from spamming - remember the RSA murders ? Now i'm
>not saying it's OK to spam but at least we are still in one peace and able
>to talk about him.

You could also say that about that woman who ripped of social welfare
of 2.4 million. This guy is costing people millions of dollars in
wasted time and productivity, not to mention ISPs with the bandwidth.
I hope this guy is eventually made an example of. I am sure he doesn't
care at the moment, but if enough people kick up a stink, and he gets
lots of negative publicity, I am sure he wiil start to take notice.

art

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:28:53 +1200, "Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> [...]

>ns_name_02: ns1.caverock.co.nz
>ns_ip4_02: 202.37.100.1
>%
>% Users are advised that the following activities are strictly forbidden.
>%
>% Using multiple WHOIS queries, or using the output of multiple WHOIS
>% queries in conjunction with any other facility or service, to enable
>% or effect a download of part or all of the .nz Register.
>%
>% Using any information contained in the WHOIS query output to attempt a
>% targeted contact campaign with any person, or any organisation, using any
>% medium.
>%
>% A breach of these conditions will be treated as a breach of the .nz
>Policies
>% and Procedures. Sanctions in line with those specified in the policies

for .coms, you can pay extra to have it private.

Howard Johnson

"Classic Car Fair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> What happens if your willy is far too big? Is there a pill to reduce its
> enormous size and appetite? Mine drags along the ground and is a sheer
> nuisance, plus it has a mind of its own and likes chasing sheep. Bloody
> pest, really, having a gigantic hungry donger.

That is your head. :-]
Your donger is the little tummy banana thing that you wet yerself wif.

pinkbikini@noonehome.net

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:32:11 +1200, Henry Sidgwick
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Rob King allegedly said:
>
>> His comment of "just delete them" is all well and good, but while we
>> still have volume charging on our internet connections, each little
>> piece of spam has a monetary penalty attached to it.
>>
>> Arrogant toad.

>Too right.
>
>My sendmail gateway explicitly rejects connects from known spammers.....just
>to save me data traffic.

What a hoot Steve.
You reject 'known spammers' yet you send out unsolicited emails
yourself!

Cath

Bruce Simpson

There's some interesting news on this subject at:

http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2003/n081501.shtml

InternetNZ Goes After Unrepentant ChCh Spammer!

Snoopy

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:52:21 +1200, art <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:40:07 +1200, "Robert Mathews"
><do_you_masturbate@too_much.com.org.qq> wrote:
>
>>Interesting article in NZ Herald today, regarding Shane Atkinson, of
>>Christchurch. There's also a link to it from aardvark.
>>

>Someone should take him to fairgo, or get holmes involved, to
>publisise this more. I am sure the more unsolicited compliant he gets,
>the harder life will be for him. I can't believe how immoral he is.

Immorality is not a crime. However, selling prescription medicines
without a prescription is. And I may just have the evidence needed
to nail him. Any suggestions as to how I should go about it?

SNOOPY

--
Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more

art

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:54:58 +1200, Bruce Simpson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There's some interesting news on this subject at:
>
>http://aardvark.co.nz/daily/2003/n081501.shtml
>
>InternetNZ Goes After Unrepentant ChCh Spammer!

Unfortionately I can't see them getting too far with NZ currents laws,
but I hope the guy will be having a few sleepless nights with worry.

Snoopy

wrote:

>Snoopy wrote:
>
>> I saw that the author managed to trace him through 'whois'. Can
>> anyone explain how this is done?

>Here is the result of a search for caverock.net.nz on www.allwhois.com
><snip>

Thanks for that website.

I've had a look at the Herald article. The domains allegedly owned by
Atkinson are: penis-tips.com, rxmedicalgroup.com and sizepills.biz

The first two check out, but the last one is registered to someone in
Qatar. How is that traced back to Atkinson?

SNOOPY

--
Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more
details

Richard Malcolm-Smith

Rob King wrote:

> Robert Mathews wrote:
>
> His comment of "just delete them" is all well and good, but while we
> still have volume charging on our internet connections, each little
> piece of spam has a monetary penalty attached to it.

Dump a load of horse **** on his "Nice car" - when he complains, tell him to
just wash it...

Computers favored over peace, happiness (Everett Herald) admin@ng2000.com Computer Information 0 10-21-2007 10:10 AM
herald slow. Dave - Dave.net.nz NZ Computing 0 10-28-2004 08:47 PM
High-readability font... anyone recall the story in the Herald Peter Jenkins NZ Computing 3 06-03-2004 12:33 AM
herald site XPD NZ Computing 4 11-17-2003 01:11 AM
Granny Herald gets caught out dOTdASH NZ Computing 9 07-31-2003 03:02 AM

Advertisments